....amateur classification should not mean amateur attitude...

....amateur classification should not mean amateur attitude...

20 posts
19 June 2015
rondisneyphotography
Photographer
rondisneypho..
....amateur classification should not mean amateur attitude, reliability and failure to respond to messages left...

as a pro-photographer i am amazed at the increasing number of models who whilst being classed as amateur presumably because they model as an interest and do not rely on modelling as an income to live on think its perfectly normal not to reply to messages left after responding to an ad for models to do published ,top paid work....am i the only tog on here who thinks pure storm is becoming a waste of time....and p.s. seriously needs to sort these people out....
Posted 19 June 2015
Edited by Love 20 June 2015
mrdl
Photographer
mrdl
I am an amateur, and if a model doesn't reply to a message, I work on the "no reply = no thanks" theory.

Posted 19 June 2015
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
This topic is a frequent visitor
I understand the frustration of not receiving replies,  for models as well as photographers.
It is odd I feel,  that we get so fixated on this on internet forums.  I frequently receive letters from companies seeking to do business with me,  yet no-one bats an eylid if I don't reply to them.
Why do we feel that someone messaged on an internet site, is somehow obliged to respond to us?
If you look at it from a detached and dispassionate perspective,  sending a message to someone is simply an invitation to communicate. A response from them is an acceptance of that offer and no response is simply declining the offer.  There really is nothing more sinister or unprofessional than that.

If one considers that some models receive hundreds of messsages a day,  do we really expect them to spend time replying to ALL of them?  Is it not reasonable to expect that they have better things to do with their time?  

Additionally,  PS has lost some of it's attraction,  due, to some considerable degree, to the behaviour of certain 'personalities' in the forums.  This does have a knock-on effect in how everything from PS, messages included, are perceived.

If this happens a lot,  maybe it's worth reviewing your messages from the perspective of a young woman receiving them out of the blue.  Very often it's not what we say,  but how we say it.  
I recall, a few years ago,  that,  being a bit rushed on a project,  I sent a message to a model asking if she wanted to do a shoot with me.  Uncharactoristicly,  I tried to short cut the process and went straight into describing the shoot.  (All well within her limits and nothing that didn't already appear in her portfolio),  and she declined.  When I reviewed the message,  I could clearly see why.  Yet it seemed fine when I originally sent it.

It maybe that your messages are perfect and you've just hit a bit of bad luck.
Best I can suggest is,  accept it and move on,  it really isn't that big a deal.
Posted 19 June 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I love this site
Posted 19 June 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I think you should thank Alan for his gentle dose of perspective.

Posted 19 June 2015
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPow..
I think I am right is saying that te original poster put up a casting, the model responded but subsequent emails from the photographer received no answer. This surely defeats the object if the model took the trouble to read and respond to the casting, why not answer the correspondence received? Alternatively if the model put up an advert looking for work, why not respond to people replying, this job might not suit, but the next one could be great.

Incidentally I do believe that a casting is an offer of work, if it is a photographer they are offering work to models and/or makeup artists, the terms of the offer are laid out within the casting. A model putting up a casting is offering work to a photographer and/or makeup artist. In neither case should a casting be put up asking for payment, that is merely looking for work, not a casting. Another pet gripe of mine is editing, editing is the checking and removal of images unsuitable for submission to a client, retouching is the altering either digitally or otherwise of an image to improve it. don't confuse them, editing can be done in minutes, retouching can take hours depending upon the work undertaken.

Posted 19 June 2015
rondisneyphotography
Photographer
rondisneypho..
..thats correct lawrence...the posting i placed was for high end calendar work for a nationally known motor-cycle dealership....the model responded and asked to be considered...i have left 2 messages to which this !!!amateur!!! model has not responded...why did she reply to the original posting if she is not now bothered ...as a pro maybe i have been spoilt by booking models through agencies and perhaps i am expecting too much from sites like this....as a pro time is money to me and spending time with time wasters loses me money...maybe its time for me to book through agencies again....

Posted 19 June 2015
BigEarsPix
Photographer
BigEarsPix
This is common on ALL modelling sites and not just restricted to amateur models either. I just assume the model has changed her mind for some reason or other.

Posted 19 June 2015
There could be a reason for a model to respond and then fail to reply.

Not saying this is the reason but she may have sought references for the photographer which have came back negative.

Also if the model is self confessed as amateur then she probably isn't in the position to actually take on paid modelling work - to do this she would need to be self employed etc. Another reason could be that she changed her mind, amateur models do modelling as a hobby so if it starts to be a job (in other words getting paid for it) then she might just have got cold feet - this isn't unusual and its better for them to be flakey in the communications rather than just not turn up to the shoot with you. Take it as a warning and move onto another model.

Posted 19 June 2015
Two_stops
Photographer
Two_stops
One would assume that a professional would spell the name right when replying to a correspondence.
Posted 19 June 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Oh dear, he appears to have left. Shall we all gather and mourn the passing of a pro?

Posted 19 June 2015
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPow..
profilepictures

Oh dear, he appears to have left. Shall we all gather and mourn the passing of a pro?

I'd check out his website first

Posted 19 June 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I'd seen the portfolio here, I'm guessing consciousness was lost around 1993.

Posted 20 June 2015
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPow..
that recent?

I confess that I checked out his site but was not impressed, My beauty stuff is out of date but reasonably good, my other stuff is reasonable, but for somebody doing a calendar for a nationally know bike dealership I would have expected better.

Posted 20 June 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Good grief, I did then go look at the website ' its utterly dreadful. Sometimes the prefix 'pro' can be read as 'simpleton with no discernable talent other than a psychopathic belief in the self'. I'd say a pro shoots for the majority of their income - and its no easy gig these days. I'm not sure how many realise this.

Posted 20 June 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join