Everything on these sites were shot with a D90 with an 18-105 kit lens...

Everything on these sites were shot with a D90 with an 18-105 kit lens ...

13 posts
12 June 2015
ArtAndLight
Photographer
ArtAndLight
All images on this website has been shot with only a Nikon D90 & an 18-105mm kit lens ...

www.that-studio.co.uk

Just wondered what your thoughts are ?

Posted 13 June 2015
Edited by Love 13 June 2015
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Proof that it's not what you got it's how you use it, As in many things in life.
Posted 13 June 2015
StNeots
Photographer
StNeots
The pictures are lively and most are bright and cheerful. They look like they have been shot within the capabilities of the camera and are a fair old showcase of your work.
They are low-resolution images so we xan't pixel-peek to judge technical quality, but being shot in bright light and studio conditions, you don't need high ISO capability or shallow depth of field, so the camera and lens are more than adequate for the job. For picture like these the most important thing is coaxing the sibject to get the right expression and you seem to be able to maage that.
Posted 13 June 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Sharpness isn't necessarily the main problem with kit lenses, especially when used on crop bodies and when used in studio conditions (ie. stopped down & in controlled light).

Where they suffer is when used on full-frame where edge sharpness can deteriorate badly, shooting at wide apertures where they can generally be both soft and have ugly bokeh and are prone to things like chromatic aberration and contrast issues when used in challenging lighting conditions.

Shoot in a studio with controlled lighting and stopped down you'd generally be hard pushed to tell a cheap lens from an expensive one.

Posted 13 June 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I'm not sure what to think really, fairly standard, slightly dated looking pictures in controlled conditions?

Posted 13 June 2015
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecoo..
Not seen a reason to cash in my d810, but if that approach is good enough for your customers, more power to you!

Posted 13 June 2015
Bob
Photographer
Bob
profilepictures

fairly standard, slightly dated looking pictures in controlled conditions?

Agreed. But on the other hand this thread is one way of achieving free advertising for what appears to be a run-of-the-mill backstreet family snaps and portraits outfit.

It would be interesting to see what the OP can do creatively with his prosumer camera and kit lens combination, but as he only has one pic in his portfolio and has not updated it since December 2011 we might never know.

Bob

Posted 13 June 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
The kind of advertising which attracts no outcome. Might be time to wake up and see what photography has been up to in the last ten years.. And the internet for that matter.

Posted 13 June 2015
nikondave
Photographer
nikondave
Firtt impression I think he needs a better website !

Posted 15 June 2015
riddell
Photographer
riddell

So?

They are low resolution basic portraits, nothing that special and something that can be easily shot by that camera. More importantly its backuped by lighting and skill.

So just because this guy is getting away with this camera for this particular work, displayed as low resolution web images, so what?

The camera and lens still remains a flimsy camera that won't stand up for long to the rigours of professional use, plus that camera and lens has many limitations that will again limit many professional applications.

So I don't really see the point, there are many similar posts about people shooting similar work with camera phones, and they are a so what? too.

Posted 15 June 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
riddell

The camera and lens still remains a flimsy camera that won't stand up for long to the rigours of professional use, plus that camera and lens has many limitations that will again limit many professional applications.

If his photography is solely studio based, why on earth does he need a toughened/environmentally sealed camera/lens?

And as for limitations, as I touched on the point in my post above, studio conditions actually level the playing field (so to speak) between pro and consumer level gear and he'd gain very little from an upgrade (again, if solely studio based).
Posted 15 June 2015
riddell
Photographer
riddell

> If his photography is solely studio based, why on earth does he need a toughened/environmentally sealed camera/lens?

Because when you are shooting professionally, i.e. constantly, each and every day, 8 hours, plus the shoots that go from 9am to midnight you need a tough reliable camera.

When you are in that environment the camera still gets abuse, still gets knocked. Plus just the sheer amount of frames shot is constant wear.

Posted 16 June 2015
BenwellHopper
Photographer
BenwellHoppe..
That D90 certainly has an impressive pop up flash....
Posted 8 Nov 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join