Best compact for live music?

Best compact for live music?

15 posts
26 May 2015
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Hello all you good people of Purestorm.

Once again I have a question for you. What is a really good compact camera for taking to live music gigs? I have been taking my old d70, with the body in one pocket and the lens in my other coat pocket. However, it is Summer now so this is not an option. I need something small enough to fit in my pocket, but takes images to the next best quality to a SLR. Something for around £500 to £600?

Any examples of images would be great too!

Thanks.

Chris.
Posted 26 May 2015
Edited by CCP 26 May 2015
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
The Fuji X pro 1 is well-regarded. Needs a large pocket but is very much in the footsteps of Leica in terms of image and lenses. Fast, compact lenses and interchangeable too. You should be able to fins a used one within your budget.

It does have a baby brother catchily called the X-M 1 which has a short 3.5 zoom and would leave you plenty of change.

Posted 26 May 2015
CCP
Photographer
CCP
w4pictures

The Fuji X pro 1 is well-regarded. Needs a large pocket but is very much in the footsteps of Leica in terms of image and lenses. Fast, compact lenses and interchangeable too. You should be able to fins a used one within your budget. It does have a baby brother catchily called the X-M 1 which has a short 3.5 zoom and would leave you plenty of change.

Thanks, I will look those up. Been looking myself, the Panasonic GX7 looks good, in my price range too. I saw this on youtube, with the lens I was thinking of also. Looks like it could fit in my pocket too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKZ0RsvZRMk
Posted 26 May 2015
CCP
Photographer
CCP
w4pictures

The Fuji X pro 1 is well-regarded. Needs a large pocket but is very much in the footsteps of Leica in terms of image and lenses. Fast, compact lenses and interchangeable too. You should be able to fins a used one within your budget. It does have a baby brother catchily called the X-M 1 which has a short 3.5 zoom and would leave you plenty of change.

Looking at that one, and sample images, it's a great camera, but it is too big for a pocket, what with the lens as well. Also I need a camera that if noticed by the venue security they won't think it's a pro camera, as they're not allowed in most music venues. But I have found this other Panasonic compact, LX100, which fits the bill. It will just fit in my pocket without a problem, doesn't look like a pro camera, and is probably the best I can get for my money. I might go with this one. The video below is from taken with the actual camera and looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DN3t-P6PGQ
Posted 26 May 2015
Edited by CCP 26 May 2015
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Have you had a look at the Canon G series conpacts? get good reviews have manual control and a resonable focal length.

Posted 27 May 2015
CCP
Photographer
CCP
paulford

Have you had a look at the Canon G series conpacts? get good reviews have manual control and a resonable focal length.

Thanks Paul, I have been looking at it, and comparing, but as far as I can see the LX100 has the edge over the others for the price. I'm spending hours looking at reviews and samples on youtube, and I still keep being impressed with what I keep seeing. This is a low light demo of the LX100 shot in 4k. I keep having to resist reaching for my card to order one. I think it will be good for shooting live music events, and getting it in, nicely in my pocket. surprise

Watch it in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bjPfBRotiQ

Posted 27 May 2015
Edited by CCP 27 May 2015
mph
Photographer
mph
CCP

Thanks Paul, I have been looking at it, and comparing, but as far as I can see the LX100 has the edge over the others for the price.

I agree.
Posted 27 May 2015
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
CCP
Also I need a camera that if noticed by the venue security they won't think it's a pro camera, as they're not allowed in most music venues. But I have found this other Panasonic compact, LX100, which fits the bill. It will just fit in my pocket without a problem, doesn't look like a pro camera, and is probably the best I can get for my money.
The reason the security wont think its a pro camera, and the reason it doesn't look like a pro camera is because....its not a pro camera!
Posted 27 May 2015
CCP
Photographer
CCP
swalsh58

The reason the security wont think its a pro camera, and the reason it doesn't look like a pro camera is because....its not a pro camera!

Correct you are, but I am looking for a camera closest to a pro quality camera for the price, not easy. But when I refer to the look of the camera, to someone who has no interest in photography, even the cheapest slr looks like a pro camera. I remember about 11 years ago, I got refused entry to a venue for just having my Sony cybershot on me. To someone who didn't know, it looked bigger than an ordinary camera, so thought it must be pro.

I just want the best compact for my money, and edit the images to make good looking prints. My old d70 (also not a pro camera of course) does a nice job, but now it's summer I can't get it through the door. You can take any big looking camera no matter how cheap, and they won't let it in. Having said that, you can get excellent salable images from a camera which is not a "pro" spec camera. It depends how good you are at taking the images.  
Posted 27 May 2015
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Why don't you speak to the organisers of these gigs and see if you can get an official photographer slot? You can promise them or the band/artist concerned copies of images to use, or get them published to an appropriate outlet, either way its all good advertising for the venue and artist. You just have to sell your skills as a photographer to them. Then you can take your DSLR.

Posted 27 May 2015
CCP
Photographer
CCP
I can't be bothered with all that Steve. I have read the terms on a few venue's websites, and they require generally that you are working for a publication etc. I much rather go as a night out, try and get a few good images while I am there, and hopefully be able to sell a few as time goes by. I think I will order a camera next week. I keep looking at various videos on youtube, the 4k video is what I am looking forward to the most, and fitting it in my pocket.

I don't know if anyone will point me to a better camera in the next few days, but thanks for your input, I do appreciate it.

Posted 28 May 2015
Edited by CCP 27 May 2015
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
Are you looking to get video/sound too?

I've got a fairly cheap Sony P&S (hx20) - and bought after a fair amount of research, on the basis that Sony's anti shake on their P&S range was better than the competition. They also have a really great 'low microphone gain' mode that really turns the mic down and gives you undistorted audio even with gig volumes.

I'm sure others do the anti-shake pretty well now, but do check that you can dial the audio level down on the Panasonic if you want to avoid overloaded sound.

Posted 28 May 2015
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Andy_B

Are you looking to get video/sound too? I've got a fairly cheap Sony P&S (hx20) - and bought after a fair amount of research, on the basis that Sony's anti shake on their P&S range was better than the competition. They also have a really great 'low microphone gain' mode that really turns the mic down and gives you undistorted audio even with gig volumes. I'm sure others do the anti-shake pretty well now, but do check that you can dial the audio level down on the Panasonic if you want to avoid overloaded sound.

Thanks for that Andy. cheeky
I have been watching videos on youtube for the last hour or so, of the hx20. It's a good little camera, with an amazing zoom, but I'm looking for a camera closer to pro quality. I am so impressed with the videos I've seen of the Panasonic that I am most certainly going to buy one in few days. Yes the Panasonic does have sound record level, and a very nice anti shake. But the zoom and focus looks very smooth, from what I've seen. The lens sharpness also is impressive. I am using it mainly for stills, but the 4k video is going to be great. I am going to a gig next Friday and will test it out. Buy it Monday, test it Friday, all great fun! 

It's my birthday next week, so this is my birthday present to myself. surprise
Posted 29 May 2015
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Good luck, and I hope whatever you get works well for you......happy birthday in advance!

Posted 29 May 2015
CCP
Photographer
CCP
swalsh58

Good luck, and I hope whatever you get works well for you......happy birthday in advance!

Cheers. smiley

Posted 29 May 2015
Edited by CCP 29 May 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join