CCD or CMOS

11 posts
25 May 2015
paulford
Photographer
paulford
looking to get a compact/bridge camera for holiday, Something a bit easier to slip in jacket pocket than my D700! Any thought on which type of sensor would be best? Not wanting to spend loads of cash, Looking like CMOS is best, But was wanting a few thoughts from members that might have a bit more experience.

Posted 25 May 2015
mph
Photographer
mph
Who cares - choose a camera that suits your budget and size requirements and has good reviews - and the sensor will take care of itself! What budget anyway?
Posted 25 May 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Do you even get a choice nowadays? (I thought all but a handful of medium format cameras were all CMOS now).

Posted 25 May 2015
paulford
Photographer
paulford
RedChecker
Do you even get a choice nowadays? (I thought all but a handful of medium format cameras were all CMOS now).
Medium format??
Posted 25 May 2015
paulford
Photographer
paulford
mph
Who cares - choose a camera that suits your budget and size requirements and has good reviews - and the sensor will take care of itself! What budget anyway?
Just looking at simple point and shoot sort of thing, Sony or Fuji, around £100, Will be taking DSLR with me just wanting something to carry round bit of recci work then have a go with proper camera, Even though D700 will be probably be poorer in pixel terms.
Posted 25 May 2015
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Curry/Dixons/pcworld, have a Sony bridge in stores at the moment just under £100 looks like it might be the one to go for, It's got quite a few good comments on it, ( Although its possible that some of the reviewer's might not know their aperture from their armpit, But then again I get confused) Basically just something to inspire me with ideas for later on.

Posted 25 May 2015
riddell
Photographer
riddell

Too be honest its not really a discussion worth having. The sensors aren't changeable.

Instead just go and find yourself a camera that does what to want it too and takes pictures like you want.

If it works and takes great photos, who cares what sensor is in there?

Posted 26 May 2015
paulford
Photographer
paulford
riddell
Too be honest its not really a discussion worth having. The sensors aren't changeable. Instead just go and find yourself a camera that does what to want it too and takes pictures like you want. If it works and takes great photos, who cares what sensor is in there?
I know the sensors aren't changeable, Was asking for some advice, Can't check out image quality unless I buy and if its crap it's a bit late. Very happy with what my DSLR produces, Had D100, D80, and am now on a D700, Been on internet and scoured what the advantages and disadvantages are seem CMOS is less sensitive to light but is better for video, Which is not a concern.
Posted 26 May 2015
riddell
Photographer
riddell

Why fixate yourself on one piece of technology when the item works as a sum of its whole parts?

The most compelling argument against not worrying about it is that I have never ever heard a professional say anything even close to being along the lines that they are going to buy a new model of camera because it has a different type of sensor. I've never even heard anyone discuss them in this way.

Discussions will take place that they want this camera or that camera because its better in low light or better at video or whatever. But its always the camera that is discussed.

Posted 27 May 2015
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
If all your after is something to record stuff for 'recce work' as you put it, then what's wrong with using your phone? I fail to see the point in spending £100 on what (in all likelihood) is going to give low quality images, when you have a DSLR with you. Stick the DSLR round your neck and use it for your initial search, if you don't want to do that then use your phone. Simples.
The last thing you need to worry about on a £100 camera is the type of sensor it has......

Posted 27 May 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
paulford

Medium format??

I thought only medium format sensors use CCD nowadays due to their colour accuracy / stability over CMOS technologies, hence their poor / non-existent high-ISO performance / capability.
Posted 27 May 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join