6D trade in at WEX

6D trade in at WEX

15 posts
10 May 2015
dhuntuk
Photographer
dhuntuk
I just wanted to ask if anyone has tried this service on a 6D, or other camera involved in the promotion?

http://www.wexphotographic.com/partexchange/?event=canon-6d-upgrade-bonus

I am seriously considering getting rid of my second hand 5D in favour of this. Primarily, for me, it is about 135g (4.5 oz) lighter and has built-in wifi. The latter is important so that I may shoot to my Ipad Mini (Once I can get the Datacolor software to load on to the bloody thing!).

Any thought?

Posted 10 May 2015
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Just be aware the 6D might be having a few sensor problems at the moment and some are likely to need factory replacement.

Posted 10 May 2015
dhuntuk
Photographer
dhuntuk
HowardJ
Just be aware the 6D might be having a few sensor problems at the moment and some are likely to need factory replacement.
Do you have a link? I cannot find anything to suggest there is a common problem with a camera that has been out for two years.
Posted 10 May 2015
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
dhuntuk
Do you have a link? I cannot find anything to suggest there is a common problem with a camera that has been out for two years.
See my post from Friday about Canon camera problems. There's been an announcement in the US about the problem. They may also affect cameras in other countries.
Posted 10 May 2015
dhuntuk
Photographer
dhuntuk
HowardJ
See my post from Friday about Canon camera problems. There's been an announcement in the US about the problem. They may also affect cameras in other countries.
Hmmm... Different market, different branding and different batch of sensors. Click on the T6 and T6i link on the page you linked to show some crop sensor cameras. The 6D is full frame and has a slightly smaller 20.2 sensor than the 24.2 T6 (Whatever that translates to in the UK..?).
Posted 10 May 2015
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
dhuntuk
Hmmm... Different market, different branding and different batch of sensors. Click on the T6 and T6i link on the page you linked to show some crop sensor cameras. The 6D is full frame and has a slightly smaller 20.2 sensor than the 24.2 T6 (Whatever that translates to in the UK..?).
Fair enough. Well checked that man.
Posted 10 May 2015
mph
Photographer
mph
HowardJ

Fair enough. Well checked that man.

It is the 750 and 760 D models that are affected

http://http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/official-canon-spots-a-problem-with-the-750d-760d-1293313
Posted 10 May 2015
MG
Photographer
MG
Seems an okay deal. The 6ds are £939 on digitalrev at the moment. Theyre 1150 at wex So just do the maths of the extra value theyre offering on your 5d. The reason why to buy a 6 d isnt because its lighter though, its because its an awesome camera and takes far better images in challenging conditions than the 5d mk1 does.... Assuming you mean the original 5d.

Posted 10 May 2015
Edited by MG 10 May 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I've run two 6d hard for some while, and though its jot a fast focusing sports camera, think its brilliant generally. Of you're going from a mark one 5d, it will be like a new world in practical terms, but you may miss the AF speed of the mk2 slightly if that's what you have right now.

Posted 11 May 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
If you're upgrading from a 5D, you'll miss the little joystick at the back of the camera for AF point selection (I do anyway)

Posted 11 May 2015
MG
Photographer
MG
profilepictures

but you may miss the AF speed of the mk2 slightly if that's what you have right now.
 I'm lost by that? How do you mean? 

Posted 11 May 2015
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
af speed of the mk2 simply isnt there may have been a mistype, actually meaning the mk3, which has faster focusing with a variety of lenses
Posted 12 May 2015
dhuntuk
Photographer
dhuntuk
RedChecker
If you're upgrading from a 5D, you'll miss the little joystick at the back of the camera for AF point selection (I do anyway)
Yes, I have a 5D mkl. I use the joggle wheel just behind the trigger button to change the AF point. I have just used the joystick at the back, but I prefer my method. Someone on another site's for sale page, mentioned they had purchased one from HDEW for £899: http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-6d-body-only-1167-p.asp It seems a bargain.
Posted 12 May 2015
MG
Photographer
MG
dhuntuk

Someone on another site's for sale page, mentioned they had purchased one from HDEW for £899: http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-6d-body-only-1167-p.asp It seems a bargain.

Was just about to say that's not real, its a scam site at that price but theyve got loads of possitive reviews on trustpilot so I'm guessing that is a great deal. It will be an imported 'grey' model but so was mine and theyre fine. My three year warranty was through a company called CPS which s american based. Nothing to do with Canon Professional Service, just the same initials! Never needed the warranty so no idea what it's like. I've owned around 20 digital Canon cameras and shot literally millions of images over the years and I have yet to have one mechanically fail on me! 

Posted 13 May 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
MG
 I'm lost by that? How do you mean? 
I find the 6d slower to catch focus than the 5d2, in good light and after fast subjects like birds etc. Low light is a different story generally, but the 6d feels slower with quality glass to me.
Posted 15 May 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join