Web sites in China

Web sites in China

3 posts
25 April 2015
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Off to Beijing in June wondering what web sites are available, ie search engines, From last year found that Google seems totally off limits, Although was possible to get on here! but need to get reasonable internet access if possible. Will be in a hotel that has free "internet" access, Whatever that means. would like to get on facebook but been told it can be a bit of a pain.

Posted 25 April 2015
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Off to Beijing in June wondering what web sites are available, ie search engines, From last year found that Google seems totally off limits, Although was possible to get on here! but need to get reasonable internet access if possible. Will be in a hotel that has free "internet" access, Whatever that means. would like to get on facebook but been told it can be a bit of a pain.

Posted 25 April 2015
gaffer
Photographer
gaffer
Baidu is the main search engine in China but is heavily restricted and difficult to use unless you understand Chinese. My advice would be to use a good VPN. Free internet us usually quite slow.

Facebook, Twitter and YouTube are not available and many photo websites are also restricted. I am able to open Purestorm and PP but everything is very slow. Skype is available although QQ is more popular in China. Almost anything to do with Google is unavailable including Google Mail. Hotmail works fine. Dropbox and other similar sites are not available.

Whatsap works ok but WeChat is the more popular Chinese equivalent. For Cheap (free) phone access install Voipraider (available for Android). A $10 subscription will give you 90 days free (UK) or cheap phone calls to anywhere in the world.

Let me know if I can be of any help (Chinese partner)

Posted 26 April 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join