Pancakes ... Canon EF-S 24mm & 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens

Pancakes ... Canon EF-S 24mm & 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens

7 posts
9 March 2015
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Hi - doing some travelling this year and was wondering if anyone has any experiance of these?  Very small and a good price but are they worth considering?   I will using them on a 70D ...thanks

Posted 9 March 2015
Edited by Plymjack 9 March 2015
snapper47
Photographer
snapper47
I bought the 40mm to use on a recently acquired 6D, simply to enable me to carry it, for little more weight than a quality compact. I have not been disappointed for what it is and what it costs its fine, but in my opinion its not as good quality wise as a mk1, much maligned 50mm f1.8. Yes very plastic and cheap looking, but produced some surprisingly good images for such a budget price. I have no experience of the mk 2 version. I like the 40mm, but mainly because my bad back appreciates any grm of weight saved, and its quite quirky to look at!

Posted 11 March 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I had a quick play with the 40stm and thought it a good value lens, at that time I had a 70d in the line up and these two are designed to work together. For video, I'd say it's a bargain, for general landscape and snaps, pretty good value if a bit limiting. I'd suggest get one s/h on eBay and try; if you're not happy you'll get close to your buying price as you sell too.

Posted 12 March 2015
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
thanks for your thoughts.... will give one a go...

Posted 12 March 2015
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
I use the Canon 100D with 40mm pancake lens as an alternative to a compact camera - so far very pleased with results. I have printed up to A4 so far and very satisfied with results.
The 40mm is also good for video on the 100D as it autofocuses almost silently.

Posted 12 March 2015
DKirk
Photographer
DKirk
I'd look at the 24mm - a nice moderate wide angle lens

Posted 12 March 2015
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
well Im tempted with both -
Posted 12 March 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join