Crowd funding or taking the piss?

Crowd funding or taking the piss?

20 posts
7 March 2015
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
Recently someone posted on several filmmakers forums with a sob story about his camera and gears stolen and is having difficulty getting his insurer to recover the lost, so he alleges. It was a mega expensive RED Epic. His friend help him set up an online crowd funding so he can get enough cash to replace the gears he had lost. Don't want to post any link on behalf of him because even if the case is real there is more depressing need elsewhere such as helping starving impoverish people than to fund someone affluent who refuses to shoot anything less than a RED Epic. It has already raised over a grand in less than a day
Posted 7 March 2015
Edited by Chandos 7 March 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Good luck to the fella.

Posted 7 March 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I've seen quite a few crowd funding posts on sites with seemingly non-photographers/videographers (they certainly had little/nothing to show) wanting gear in return for a copy of their masterpiece. It often ends in a popcorn thread of abuse... Good fun really.

Posted 7 March 2015
TheChrisS
Photographer
TheChrisS
Innocent until proven guilty. If there are doubts, the organisers of the crowd funding site will investigate. You're casting judgment on the guy while trying to stir up a debate. Seems a bit low to me.

Posted 7 March 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
TheChrisS

Innocent until proven guilty. If there are doubts, the organisers of the crowd funding site will investigate. You're casting judgment on the guy while trying to stir up a debate. Seems a bit low to me.

It's not a case of being innocent or guilty of anything, unless we can agree he's guilty of being a bit cheeky.

I personally think it's going against the intention/ethos of what crowd funding was all about, as it was originally intended as a way of people to deliver a product to people if they can get enough financial backing for their idea.  Not only can I not see what others will get out of this for their generosity but it sounds like he's simply doing to get himself a load of gear.  IMO with these two points it's on-par with begging.
Posted 7 March 2015
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
What's a RED Epic?

Posted 7 March 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
PaulManuell

What's a RED Epic?

A VERY expensive video camera that is often used for film/high-end TV production, they can cost ~$20,000 for the body alone and you can easily double that once you've added on recording devices, focus screens, mounts etc.  And there's lens cost on top of that, which if you're looking at master primes can be around $20,000 a lens also.  Definitely not pocket money stuff.

Here's a kit RED are advertising which includes most of what you need to get started (remember, there's no lens with this)
Posted 7 March 2015
Edited by RedChecker 7 March 2015
scubie
Photographer
scubie
should be easy to trace, can't be a lot of them around going secondhand !!! Bit like nicking The Mona Lisa.

Posted 7 March 2015
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
TheChrisS
Who cares if it was real or not, this guy wanted people to fund a very expensive camera & gears. He is a pro, a blogger and has no problem getting hold of or borrow high end gears since he also does reviews of very expensive high end cameras and gets paid for it too. He has made a successful career out of making promo films hence why he can afford a RED Epic. It is like a successful businessman who had his Mercedes stolen and setup an online crowd funding to buy another Mercedes when the people he is asking drives crappy old bangers.
Posted 7 March 2015
Edited by Chandos 7 March 2015
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
PaulManuell
What's a RED Epic?
Peter Jackson uses the RED Epic to film the Hobbits.
Posted 7 March 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
There's also a thing called insurance as well
Posted 7 March 2015
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
RedChecker
There's also a thing called insurance as well
He claims to be having trouble with his insurer. It was mentioned in my initial post.
Posted 8 March 2015
gwentman
Photographer
gwentman
Chandos

He claims to be having trouble with his insurer. It was mentioned in my initial post.

Yes he's correct, he did mention it in his initial post.

Mike.

Posted 8 March 2015
Edited by gwentman 8 March 2015
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
If you don't ask you don't get. If you want to give that's your choice.

Posted 8 March 2015
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
frankpht
If you don't ask you don't get. If you want to give that's your choice.
All very well being a choice but here is the problem. The recent concept of online crowd funding which is about collaboration through funding to help a project come to fruition has been marred by these type of requests that serve no purpose to anybody except expensive freebies for the individual recipient. Eventually when more of the same keeps propping up because some mugs cant help themselves giving money away, more people will eventually turn away from crowd funding activities and more deserving projects would be ignored.
Posted 8 March 2015
Edited by Chandos 8 March 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join