Printer calibration

13 posts
17 Feb 2015
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPow..
What are you using and would you recommend it (the unit that is)

Posted 17 Feb 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I bought a Spyder Print years ago for calibrating a dye-sub printer I had, that had awful problems printing greens and purples... didn't work And I never tried it with my inkjet as I'd pretty much stopped using that at the time in favour of online print services (cheaper, better feel, no need to wait for drying etc.). I get the impression that printer calibration is less of an issue than most other calibrations (monitor, camera) simply because the inks and paper have strict quality control (assuming you're using genuine ones) and the drivers will know how they behave, as such there will be very little deviation in their output. Certainly for the few last prints I made with my inkjet, I never felt the need to calibrate it as it appeared spot-on. They are expensive, and bear in mind that when you buy one it may not work with future OS, Mine will no longer work with Windows 8 for example (and perhaps even Windows 7 from memory) and was only bought when Vista was out. A bit cheeky if you ask me, especially as it was the best part of £250 and is now technically 'junk'.
Posted 18 Feb 2015
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPow..
I bought a Dalacolor Spyder 3 from eBay, initially it did not work however having taken the sensor apart and fixed the switch, I have now got it going. The Fuji it profiled reasonably well, but the Mitsubishi is a complete mess, completely useless. Thus I am now considering a replacement. I did hear from one source that some machines have problems with glossy surfaces hence the problem with dye sub printers.

Posted 18 Feb 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Whatever it is with dye-sub printers, I couldn't get mine to work. Muted colours worked fine but once you had strong colours it all went to pot (blues would print as purple for example, and pinks would print as strong red). Although I'd have thought the likes of Mitsubishi would have had profiles to download that you could use.

I think it was the Spider 3 I had as well. Waste of money for me (I bought mine brand new in some fancy case with my monitor calibrator, which too will no longer work when I get a new machine as Datacolor won't update the drivers and instead think you're (ie. they're) better off with you buying a whole new one).
Posted 18 Feb 2015
Edited by RedChecker 18 Feb 2015
StNeots
Photographer
StNeots
RedChecker

I get the impression that printer calibration is less of an issue than most other calibrations (monitor, camera) simply because the inks and paper have strict quality control (assuming you're using genuine ones) and the drivers will know how they behave, as such there will be very little deviation in their output. .

At my club we've had a few speakers who have had their printers callibrated by manufacturers (Fotospeed and Permaject offer a free service of custom progfiling) and have found huge differences between the generic profiles and the ones created for their own printers.
My own printer needs 16% less ink density than the generic profile suggests it should and the prints using a generic profile are way too dark.

Posted 18 Feb 2015
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPow..
The generic one for the Mitsubishi is not good, System Insight do a better one and the one that I paid for based on prints from my machine is good. however I have never had one done for the Fuji and I decided that getting my own unit would encourage me to check it on a regular basis and of course do the Fuji from scratch.

I have sent a file to a friend and once he's printed it out will create a profile for him and see if I can improve on his settings. I think this will determine whether it is a dye sub problem or not.

Posted 18 Feb 2015
Pict
Photographer
Pict
You say that " The Fuji it profiled reasonably well, but the Mitsubishi is a complete mess " yet "The generic one for the Mitsubishi is not good, System Insight do a better one and the one that I paid for based on prints from my machine is good. however I have never had one done for the Fuji and I decided that getting my own unit would encourage me to check it on a regular basis and of course do the Fuji from scratch". Which machine do you need a profile for. (I may be able to help)
Posted 18 Feb 2015
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Borrowed a ColorMunki for my printer worked fine, though initially had problems because I let it calibrate my my screen first which was already profiled with an eyeone, so I was "profiling a profile",
I had to reset stuff & re calibrate the monitor & just let the ColorMunki calibrate the printer.
Posted 18 Feb 2015
Edited by Spike 18 Feb 2015
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPow..
Pict,

Thanks for your kind offer, the point is that whereas the Mitsubishi CP9550DW profile is OK, my recollection is that the printer has drifted over time and thus I decided to buy a calibration unit. Having used the unit, the profile it generated is considerably worse than that currently in existence, I have therefore discarded the new profile.

Upon further investigation I find that the Fuji generic profile is better than the one produced by the Datacolor unit, albeit considerably closer than the one produced for the Mitsubishi.

I am therefore at a loss to know what to do. Do I splash out more cash on profiles, do I junk the Datacolor unit and look at X-Rite or what?

Posted 18 Feb 2015
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPow..
Spike

Borrowed a ColorMunki for my printer worked fine, though initially had problems because I let it calibrate my my screen first which was already profiled with an eyeone, so I was "profiling a profile",
I had to reset stuff & re calibrate the monitor & just let the ColorMunki calibrate the printer.

Just tried that, since the monitor did not change colour at all and the printer profiles operate independently from the monitor (hence the problems that people get). this not going to solve it.

I've now sent queries to both Datacolor and X-Rite asking them whether their systems should cope, I will keep you informed.
Posted 18 Feb 2015
Edited by LaurenceJPower 18 Feb 2015
Pict
Photographer
Pict
When I had one the Mitsubishi profile was awful. The system insight one however was great. PM me if you haven't tried the system insight profile

Posted 18 Feb 2015
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPow..
Pict

When I had one the Mitsubishi profile was awful. The system insight one however was great. PM me if you haven't tried the system insight profile

Having used the System Insight version I got a profile done especially for me and it was a significant improvement. Let me know if you want to try it.

Posted 18 Feb 2015
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPow..
The final post

Having got the unit to work, the initial profiles as stated early were rubbish, I did both email and put up a Facebook posting. Datacolor came back within 24 hours with instructions on how to use the unit when one can only output small prints, the new results are great, thus I can endorse the use of Datacolor products.

My thanks to all who have helped me.

Posted 20 Feb 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join