best mouse for editing

32 posts
14 Feb 2015
photostore
Photographer
photostore
So i'm still very old school and use a mouse for any editing, i tried a tablet and hate it !
I need a new mouse and have been looking at the high dpi gaming mice.....any difference ? or i'd like to hear your ideas for a replacement.
Posted 14 Feb 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I've always had gaming mice, it's not the DPI that's most noticeable (although they are very precise), it's their large feet (the non-slip pads underneath) are generally huge and allow them to slide more freely. I've got 3x Logitech G500 mice (no longer made), they're nice as they can be adjusted for weight and balance (they have a little cartridge with weights in that you can adjust).

And call me old fashioned but I actually prefer corded mice. I bought Microsoft's first cordless and was changing batteries every week or two, pathetic! (they've come a long way since but I'd rather they be physically connected, far easier to get my head around).

Posted 14 Feb 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Oh, and get yourself a good mouse mat.  I bought one of these four years ago (still in use), lovely and smooth and a decent size too.
Posted 14 Feb 2015
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Thanks Redchecker,

like you i just got peed off with the battery one yet again this evening for that very reason and decided i'm likely going back to a corded.

Posted 14 Feb 2015
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Well, I've got a Logitech M705 "corldess" mouse, worked very well so far - oh, and the batteries seem to last forever, this set has been in for over a year (I've played Far Cry 3/4 & COD without problems so far too). As Steven say's, get a quality mat too, well worth it.

Posted 14 Feb 2015
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
I switched to the Roccat Lua Mouse. And Roccat ISKU Keyboard about 6 months back. Think if I recall I got them at Maplin. They all light up blue which is a nice touch and the speed is unbelievable. You can make shortcuts with keys and pre record even whole sentences or logins etc. The mouse speed is awesome. And you get software to customise it all.

The only bad thing I've noticed is the mouse wheel seems to get a bit of a squeak on about month 4 which is a common known issue, so it then needs a bit of lube!

Posted 15 Feb 2015
GSC4X
Photographer
GSC4X
I use a little Logitech, it has all the buttons and a wheel.  I now edit from the sofa throw or the arm rest.  I am right handed, but use the mouse with the left hand.....long story.  There is no best, just what you like to use.  That is it.

Posted 15 Feb 2015
Kizer
Photographer
Kizer
had a few over the years and not been happy with all of them, the present one I'm using is a microsoft one its arched to fit in my hand better and super smooth quick and responsive, But since I've had a mac i use there mouse and its pretty good as well only snag is its not got a right and left button.

I think a mouse is a personal thing you keep trying them till you find one that suits you.

Posted 15 Feb 2015
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Kizer

had a few over the years and not been happy with all of them, the present one I'm using is a microsoft one its arched to fit in my hand better and super smooth quick and responsive, But since I've had a mac i use there mouse and its pretty good as well only snag is its not got a right and left button. I think a mouse is a personal thing you keep trying them till you find one that suits you.

If you're using the mac magic mouse you can actually use right and left click. I was using mine for about three months thinking that there was no right click facility but my son told me to just press on the right hand side at the top and that is your right click. Embarrassing!

You may be using a different one though 
Posted 15 Feb 2015
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
The Apple Mighty mouse

Posted 15 Feb 2015
snooper911
Photographer
snooper911
I keep getting peed off with my wireless mac mouse, it drops out and loses connection...batteries are fresh too. I would be less upset if they wasn't so damn expensive

Posted 15 Feb 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
snooper911

I keep getting peed off with my wireless mac mouse, it drops out and loses connection...batteries are fresh too. I would be less upset if they wasn't so damn expensive

Any sort of wireless device in the vicinity has the potential to affect it, such as cordless home phones, wireless routers, bluetooth devices etc. so may be worth checking.
Posted 15 Feb 2015
Kizer
Photographer
Kizer
Kizer
had a few over the years and not been happy with all of them, the present one I'm using is a microsoft one its arched to fit in my hand better and super smooth quick and responsive, But since I've had a mac i use there mouse and its pretty good as well only snag is its not got a right and left button. I think a mouse is a personal thing you keep trying them till you find one that suits you.
I've been into the mouse settings and sorted it It works a treat now
Posted 16 Feb 2015
riddell
Photographer
riddell

Personally I think you should try a tablet again, and actually break through the barrier of hating it or finding it difficult, and make sure you use a quality tablet. Cheap ones are really frustrating.

There are just so many things you can do with a tablet that you simply can't with a mouse, and I really mean can't do, because a mouse doesn't have pressure and tilt sensitivity.

There are also many, many things which are phenomenally quicker with a tablet mostly because of that pressure and tilt sensitivity.

Its these reasons which explain why I have NEVER seen a pro retoucher or digital artist without a Wacom on their desk.

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Posted 16 Feb 2015
Edited by riddell 16 Feb 2015
photostore
Photographer
photostore
"Its these reasons which explain why I have NEVER seen a pro retoucher or digital artist without a Wacom on their desk.

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk"

I have a Wacom Paul, bought it last year and it makes a great dust attractor ! I just can't get to grips with it, especially as my photography and editing have taken a back burner position to my real paid job in the last 18 months so not getting the practice time

Posted 16 Feb 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join