Very sticky D70.

13 posts
12 Feb 2015
CCP
Photographer
CCP
I decided to get out my old d70 today, but the right hand side, the grip area is very sticky for some reason. I have tried giving it a wipe with white spirit on a kitchen towel. No change, still sticky. Any idea why it is sticky, and how I can fix this problem? Has this ever happened to any of your old cameras?

Posted 13 Feb 2015
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Were you overly excited the last time you used it?

Posted 13 Feb 2015
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
OK, seriously I'd Google it as its probably a known issue.

From a quick Google.

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00bMU8

It is indeed a known issue.

Posted 13 Feb 2015
Edited by HowardJ 13 Feb 2015
CCP
Photographer
CCP
HowardJ

Were you overly excited the last time you used it?

No, if I were that excited, I am sure the model would have ran out of the room. 

Posted 13 Feb 2015
CCP
Photographer
CCP
HowardJ

OK, seriously I'd Google it as its probably a known issue. From a quick Google. http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00bMU8 It is indeed a known issue.

Thanks for that, looks like a lot of work to do, trying to clean it off. Maybe next time I will buy a Canon. 

Posted 13 Feb 2015
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
CCP
Thanks for that, looks like a lot of work to do, trying to clean it off. Maybe next time I will buy a Canon. 
Apparently you can buy a new set of rubbers for the camera.
Posted 13 Feb 2015
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
Something for the click end, sir?

Posted 14 Feb 2015
CCP
Photographer
CCP
HowardJ

Apparently you can buy a new set of rubbers for the camera.

Yes, but they're not worth the money for an old camera. I dug it out to take to a gig, as it's small enough to have the body in one coat pocket and the lens in another. I had plastic bag over the sticky side, which has stuck anyway. I wil still try to get the goo off sometime, but the camera did the job anyway. I had a quick look at the pics last night when I got home, nothing portfolio worthy, but I think the band will like them. 

Cheers. cheeky
Posted 14 Feb 2015
CCP
Photographer
CCP
w4pictures

Something for the click end, sir?

No comment. 
Posted 14 Feb 2015
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
CCP

Some of the Canon EOS film cameras were notorious for rubber grips turning sticky over time. The EOS 5 for one.

I believe the solution is to rub the sticky stuff off with what they call in the USA "denatured alcohol" which I assume is methylated spirits. Meths worked for me- but I was cleaning up Canon film cameras. It could be different on a Nikon? It does not take long.

Posted 14 Feb 2015
CCP
Photographer
CCP
carshaltonkev

Some of the Canon EOS film cameras were notorious for rubber grips turning sticky over time. The EOS 5 for one.

I believe the solution is to rub the sticky stuff off with what they call in the USA "denatured alcohol" which I assume is methylated spirits. Meths worked for me- but I was cleaning up Canon film cameras. It could be different on a Nikon? It does not take long.

I was trying to get it off with white spirit, but I will look out for alchohol. God only knows when I'll get around to that. Next time I want to shoot a gig probably. 

Thanks. smiley
Posted 15 Feb 2015
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
CCP

I was trying to get it off with white spirit, but I will look out for alchohol. God only knows when I'll get around to that. Next time I want to shoot a gig probably. 

Thanks. smiley

They recommend isopropyl alcohol, which is not something I have seen around much. As methylated spirit is approx 90% alcohol (plus very nasty additives to stop people drinking it) it should do the job OK.

Posted 16 Feb 2015
CCP
Photographer
CCP
carshaltonkev

They recommend isopropyl alcohol, which is not something I have seen around much. As methylated spirit is approx 90% alcohol (plus very nasty additives to stop people drinking it) it should do the job OK.

It can't taste worse than some of those others people drink. Put a nice label on a nice looking bottle, like Southern Comfort, people would drink loads of it. 

Thanks, I will try that, on my camera I mean, not drink it. frown
Posted 16 Feb 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join