More Good News For Film Users.

More Good News For Film Users.

38 posts
12 Feb 2015
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
I keep reading that film sales are improving...and I know from bitter experience that quality film gear on eBay is not cheap anymore...but I came across this article earlier that makes interesting reading: http://www.theonlinedarkroom.com/2015/01/2015-year-film-fought-back.html

In a nutshell, the increase in film sales and analogue photography is being driven by the younger generation!! And there was me thinking it was pensioners keeping that market going!!surprise
Posted 12 Feb 2015
jamesboswell
Photographer
jamesboswell
I have recently dug out my Canon EOS-1n and bought a load of colour print film, in the vain hope that the weather might improve and I can shoot some nicely lit outdoor sets. Love working with "proper" SLR cameras, you really have to think, compose and make sure the exposure is right for each shot. With a DSLR you can almost get away with anything and then sort it out on the computer.

Posted 14 Feb 2015
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
jamesboswell

I have recently dug out my Canon EOS-1n and bought a load of colour print film, in the vain hope that the weather might improve and I can shoot some nicely lit outdoor sets. Love working with "proper" SLR cameras, you really have to think, compose and make sure the exposure is right for each shot. With a DSLR you can almost get away with anything and then sort it out on the computer.

I have one of them.....in fact I seem to have one (or more) of most Canon film cameras going back to the 60s!! I have ten rolls of B+W Agfa film I ordered a month ago that I an itching to try out! Mainly into using Bronica gear (when shooting film that is) at the moment.
Posted 14 Feb 2015
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
anthonyh

In a nutshell, the increase in film sales and analogue photography is being driven by the younger generation!!

It would have to be...

Only those of us old enough to have been forced to use film will be able to remember what a complete ball-ache it was. Expensive, risky, inconvenient... and did I mention expensive?

It's great that hipsters are enjoying playing around with film. For practical purposes though... that ship has sailed!
Posted 14 Feb 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Andy_B

It would have to be...

Only those of us old enough to have been forced to use film will be able to remember what a complete ball-ache it was. Expensive, risky, inconvenient... and did I mention expensive?

It's great that hipsters are enjoying playing around with film. For practical purposes though... that ship has sailed!

+1
Posted 14 Feb 2015
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Is it that expensive?......I was thinking about the amount of money I have lost over time thanks to depreciation on my digital cameras...and that virtually every film body I own has held or increased in value over recent years.

As for film being 'risky'...not sure what is meant there...but I dev my own film so am used to things being boringly predicable.
Posted 16 Feb 2015
Edited by anthonyh 16 Feb 2015
riddell
Photographer
riddell
jamesboswell

Love working with "proper" SLR cameras, you really have to think, compose and make sure the exposure is right for each shot. With a DSLR you can almost get away with anything and then sort it out on the computer.

I know I'm taking this of topic a bit, but that is such a good point you mentioned that it needs re-iterating.
And that point in my opinion is a major factor which seperates genuine professionals from the wannabes.

Its also important to add that 'you can almost get away with anything' doesn't apply really apply in professional photography. Yes you can 'almost get away with anything' at an amateur standard, but when it comes to pro photography and the critical eye of professional art editors, advertisors, retouchers etc. then no way can you at all.

Posted 16 Feb 2015
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecoo..
Actually, whilst I concur that the film ship has sailed, and I for one do not mourn that, I think all you upstarts who have never shot film should have a go and see how you get on! I do despair at those who think post is the answer for polishing a turd!

Posted 16 Feb 2015
jamesboswell
Photographer
jamesboswell
riddell
Its also important to add that 'you can almost get away with anything' doesn't apply really apply in professional photography. Yes you can 'almost get away with anything' at an amateur standard, but when it comes to pro photography and the critical eye of professional art editors, advertisors, retouchers etc. then no way can you at all.
You have misunderstood what I was trying to say.It is not that you can get away with anything and expect a client to accept this, but that if you make a mistake in the field you stand a very good chance of subsequently correcting this and ensuring that it will satisfy the client, when it is all in the digital domain.
Posted 16 Feb 2015
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
To add to the above.....I scan my negs then work digitally from then on....and it is amazing what can be done with scanned files and Photoshop. I am still a keen film user but I wouldn't go back to using a darkroom for printing.
Posted 16 Feb 2015
riddell
Photographer
riddell
jamesboswell

but that if you make a mistake in the field you stand a very good chance of subsequently correcting this

and you misunderstood my point. Thats the difference with genuine pros, they are not making these mistakes.
Its just like you said all the pros I know / work with work just how you said, like they were working with film.
and we often have tight deadlines, which don't allow time to correct mistakes.

Making and then correcting mistakes can cost you dear in time. I made a 'mistake' not so long ago of getting some dust on my sensor. It cost me a half a day of work to correct.

Posted 16 Feb 2015
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Posted 16 Feb 2015
jamesboswell
Photographer
jamesboswell
Well, I suppose that as I have only been shooting SLRs since 1971, and DSLRs from 2007 I still make mistakes, but I guess that some people are more fortunate and far more talented than I am. It has not stopped me selling loads of photos however to a large number of customers, fortunately.

Posted 16 Feb 2015
Edited by jamesboswell 16 Feb 2015
gwentman
Photographer
gwentman
anthonyh

To add to the above.....I scan my negs then work digitally from then on....and it is amazing what can be done with scanned files and Photoshop. I am still a keen film user but I wouldn't go back to using a darkroom for printing.

+1 and yet I sometimes print a 12 x 16 just for the hell of it'.

It feels just great.

mike.

Posted 16 Feb 2015
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
gwentman

+1 and yet I sometimes print a 12 x 16 just for the hell of it'.

It feels just great.

mike.

I've just done an A4 to see how the print matches the screen image...I always have to do some fine tuning before a final print.laugh
Posted 16 Feb 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join