AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1.35-56G ED (DX).... Repair !!

AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1.35-56G ED (DX).... Repair !!

3 posts
5 Feb 2015

Hi Guys,

Obtained the above lens for use on my D5100, £85 off fleabay (Winning bid , so happy I got it cheap....), looks like the Auto focus has gone Pete Tong - the seller says it WAS working and may have been damaged during shipment , I have been offered a full refund etc if required so that's not an issue . Q) can anybody recommend somewhere to send for repair and any idea of costs involved - this is quite a common problem with this particular lens judging by the forums etc on the internet , but would rather get it repaired if possible. There are tutorials on how to fix it myself which i'm sure i could do (steady hands etc lol) . but thoughts welcome.

Posted 5 Feb 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Fixation's website says between £35-£140 (+ parts cost), and then VAT.

Considering you can buy a brand new Nikon 18-105 with VR for ~£205 it seems a bit daft spending any money on repairing a used lens that's both that cheap and would make it so close to the price of a new one IMO.
Posted 5 Feb 2015
Edited by RedChecker 5 Feb 2015
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
DIY lens repair can be very tricky. I know from experience. Personally I would suggest working on (and messing up) a few scrap lenses over several months before tackling one costing £85.

I think the only sensible option is to return it to the sender and get a refund and then look for another Nikon 18-105 lens that is in full working order. If you bought one for £85 that must be more or less its market value. However probably worth about £15-25 without autofocus working?

Posted 6 Feb 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join