New Canon 5Ds / 5Ds r (50mp) TBA next week?????

New Canon 5Ds / 5Ds r (50mp) TBA next week?????

76 posts
30 Jan 2015
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhoto..
For all the Canon shooters

• 50.6MP full frame CMOS sensor
  • Magnesium alloy body, dust and water sealed
  • Dual processor DIGIC6
  • Regular sensitivity: ISO 100-6400
  • Continuous shooting 5 frames / sec.
  • High precision 61 AF points
  • EOS iTR AF
  • 150,000 pixel RGB + IR photometry sensor
  • New ”fine detail” picture style
  • 1.3x and 1.6x crop modes
  • Customizable “Quick Control Screen”
  • Time-lapse movie
  • Interval Timer
  • Bulb timer
and link to the article below.

http://www.cameraegg.org/50-6mp-canon-eos-5ds-5ds-r-leaked-image-specs/
Posted 30 Jan 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I'd take all these rumours with a pinch of salt until the thing actually arrives. That said, the 50mp thing wouldn't surprise me as it's a nice marketing ploy to convince consumers they've beaten Nikon. As to whether or not there's many lenses that'll resolve to that resolution remains to be seen (I'm not convinced there's many personally).
Posted 30 Jan 2015
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhoto..
I believe there will also be a new line of lens's in the offing too.

Canon Rumors has this down as CR3, which usually means it's fact......

Posted 30 Jan 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
The 11-24mm F4's literally just been announced. Shame it's not an f2.8 though.

Posted 30 Jan 2015
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
RedChecker

I'd take all these rumours with a pinch of salt until the thing actually arrives. That said, the 50mp thing wouldn't surprise me as it's a nice marketing ploy to convince consumers they've beaten Nikon. As to whether or not there's many lenses that'll resolve to that resolution remains to be seen (I'm not convinced there's many personally).

I think the answer was supposed to be in here somewhere but I gave up after the second paragraph
Posted 30 Jan 2015
Bob
Photographer
Bob
RedChecker

As to whether or not there's many lenses that'll resolve to that resolution remains to be seen

Does that mean you think I wouldn't get 50MP resolution using my 18-55 EF-S kit lens with it?
I'd hate to not be able to use the lens any more as it's not even 12 years old.
Bob

Posted 30 Jan 2015
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
EllessePhotography

For all the Canon shooters

• Regular sensitivity: ISO 100-6400
is this a misprint seems kinda low by most standards doesn't the 7d mk2 go to 16000 unexpanded?
Posted 30 Jan 2015
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhoto..
I should imagine that the iso is kept as low as possible to help with the mp count.

Posted 30 Jan 2015
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Oops. Apologies RedChecker. there was supposed to be a link to a very long winded article on the subject attached to my previous post. Without that it looks like I'm taking a pop at your post
Posted 30 Jan 2015
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
Looks very interesting-if true! It would appear that constraining the iso, colour parameters and the huge pixel count is designed to optimise image quality.
No doubt dpreview numpties will slate it for not doing 20fps and for not being a Nikon.
Can't see it being much shy of £4k, to start with, then , of course, plenty processing power and storage needed.

Posted 30 Jan 2015
Edited by magpie1 30 Jan 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
magpie1

It would appear that constraining the iso, colour parameters and the huge pixel count is designed to optimise image quality. 

Well that's what Hasselblad do, and IMO this could be Canon's way of giving studios, architectural and landscape photographers a viable alternative to medium format.  It makes me wonder whether they're finally going to push the boat out and go to 16-bit RAW like MF as well.

Personally this sounds like a camera for many photographers who've seemingly been ignored with the rush from manufacturers to make everyone either a videographer or sports photographer. 

My main reservation is how good the noise is at ~ISO 800-1600 (which is the most I shoot) will be.  Hopefully it won't be a whole lot worse than current offerings, and that being the case I'm certainly looking forward to the full announcement on this (and crossed fingers it is 16-bit as the boost in dynamic range will be most welcome).
Posted 30 Jan 2015
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhoto..
RedChecker

My main reservation is how good the noise is at ~ISO 800-1600 (which is the most I shoot) will be.  Hopefully it won't be a whole lot worse than current offerings, and that being the case I'm certainly looking forward to the full announcement on this (and crossed fingers it is 16-bit as the boost in dynamic range will be most welcome).

16 bit would've been good, but I doubt it at the moment as it will sport dual digic 6 processors, the same as the 14 bit 7D2.  Don't think this will be a replacement for the 5D3, so aimed at the studio or landscape tog where high iso won't matter quite so much.

Posted 30 Jan 2015
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
And the price is.... £4000?

Hence:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-10-24/canon-cuts-full-year-net-income-forecast-as-camera-sales-slow

Posted 30 Jan 2015
Edited by HowardJ 30 Jan 2015
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Leaves me cold this one, I honestly don't know what the point of the massive pixel count is whem many of the pictures taken with less than half that would fill the gable end of a house anyway? Iso that'll render it hard work outside a studio or with good light or flash? Might encourage a few useful cameras into the second hand market I guess, that's all I can glean that inspires.

Posted 31 Jan 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
profilepictures

Leaves me cold this one, I honestly don't know what the point of the massive pixel count is whem many of the pictures taken with less than half that would fill the gable end of a house anyway? Iso that'll render it hard work outside a studio or with good light or flash? Might encourage a few useful cameras into the second hand market I guess, that's all I can glean that inspires.

The 'S' stands for 'Studio' so you have your answer with Canon's intentions for this camera.  As I said earlier, I suspect it's to muscle in on the low end of the studio/product photography market (and may also appeal to landscape/architectural photographers) as an alternative to investing in a MF format system which aren't only expensive but also (IMO) cumbersome to use.

As for the pixel count, it's partly a marketing ploy to beat Nikon's 36mp bodies, but also as much as I doubt the ability to resolve at that resolution (the Nikons can do it with 36mp) they're going to remove the AA filter (on the R model) and from my experience with my 1DsII (which has a weaker filter than most) it may be surprising how sharp it actually is.
Posted 31 Jan 2015
Edited by RedChecker 31 Jan 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join