Eyefi mobi 8 gig problems

18 posts
23 Jan 2015
Carpe_Diem
Photographer
Carpe_Diem
Thought I'd try one of these eyefi mobi cards out and first impressions aren't great

Downloaded the app and set it up on my laptop very easily (it's idiot proof so I'm safe there) then watched a vid on youtube to auto imort miniscule jpegs into lightroom which was also pretty easy and works well

When the card is actually connected it's not bad, not ever going to win any transfer speed records but didn't expect it to after all it's only to give a rough idea of what we're shooting right?

Now the problem I've got is that I can't read a jpg straight from the eyefi mobi once pluged into any pc or laptop, further more once I've transfered the whole folder over (everything on the card) to my pc the jpegs/raw files are corrupt and wont open in anything PS or LR or photo viewer

Anyone got any suggestions to what might be the problem?

Thanks
Posted 23 Jan 2015
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhoto..
Where did you buy it from? If ebay or the ilk, there is a possibility the card could be fake.

Posted 23 Jan 2015
Carpe_Diem
Photographer
Carpe_Diem
Amazon

I purposely avoid ebay for anything "that matters" though have Googled searched this problem and looks like I'm not the first, have mailed eyfi and await a response

First ever cf/sd card failure I've had in 12 years of digital and comming straight out of the packet hasn't given me much confidence in the product

Posted 23 Jan 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Carpe_Diem

Amazon

Amazon themselves or a reseller?

I bought off Amazon once (a reseller working through them) and the stuff was fake (Canon IXUS batteries).
Posted 23 Jan 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Is the card definitely compatible with your camera?
And are there any camera firmware updates which point to fixing eye-fi problems?

Posted 23 Jan 2015
Carpe_Diem
Photographer
Carpe_Diem
Camera is 5D mkII with the latest firmware, just checked to see is there's any updates

Looks like the card has been sold by a reseller, I don't use Amazon and asked a family member to order for me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyefi-Mobi-WiFi-SDHC-Cloud/dp/B00CRFK24K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421320520&sr=8-1&keywords=eyefi+mobi

Will try it in my D60 see if it works, forgot about that body

Posted 23 Jan 2015
Carpe_Diem
Photographer
Carpe_Diem
Maybe I won't, the D60 has a 4 gig max capacity and throws up a cf error
Haven't got anything else to test it with
Posted 23 Jan 2015
Edited by Carpe_Diem 23 Jan 2015
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhoto..
Your problem could stem from using the CF adapter. Can't remember where, but I'm sure I've heard of this before .

Posted 23 Jan 2015
TerryTurner
Photographer
TerryTurner
As mentioned above, I have also heard some adaptors work better than others, some people say they have removed the metal casing from the adaptor and it has worked better. I know this will probably be no help to you but I am using an eye fi card with a 5d mk3, this does not use an adaptor and it works very well, I have raw files going to the main card and jpegs set at about 5mb going to the iPad via the eye fi, average transfer time around six to 8 seconds max.

Posted 24 Jan 2015
scubie
Photographer
scubie
I've used eyfi card with sd card for thousands of shots with no failure. But have heard of many problems with cf cards. As Ellesse said I'm pretty sure its the CF to SD adapter that is the problem, I'm sure only certain adapters do work.
See if you can borrow someones card adapter that does work first.

Posted 25 Jan 2015
Carpe_Diem
Photographer
Carpe_Diem
Hi

Thanks for the responses

I've tried several standard sd cards in the cf adapter and they all work fine so can't see that being the problem though I had read about incompatability problems hense was aprehensive of trying out eyefi's to begin with

Had a quick response from eyefi, their customer service are saying that it could be down to not using a genuine reader. I've tried the eyefi in two non genuine readers, one wouldn't read the card, the other also wouldn't read it unless it was inserted ito the cf adapter. Eyefi have requested my full address and have said they will send a complimentry genuine eyei reader so hopefully that will work but will let you know the results
Posted 25 Jan 2015
Edited by Carpe_Diem 25 Jan 2015
panda49
Photographer
panda49
I was one of the origina; beta tester before they were released have ha dseveral cards and no problems However the latest 32Gb mobi I had fell apart literally but was replaced instantly free of charge I suggest you try using a card reader that usually helps if not contact them they usually very helpful and quick on any issues Amazon I purposely avoid ebay for anything "that matters" though have Googled searched this problem and looks like I'm not the first, have mailed eyfi and await a response First ever cf/sd card failure I've had in 12 years of digital and comming straight out of the packet hasn't given me much confidence in the product
Posted 25 Jan 2015
Carpe_Diem
Photographer
Carpe_Diem
Good news

The complimentary eyefi card reader that was very quickly dispatched arrived this morning and reads the mobi card with no problems so just thought I'd say that it wasn't a card failure and is compatable with a 5DII with latest firmware and an extreeme sd to cf adapter. Eyefi customer services responded in a timely fashion and were very helpful

Just a side note, while testing this out at various distances:

Laptop in living room shots taken at the bottom of my garden approx 50 feet through the building - nothing
" " shots taken in my garage approx 50/40 and 30 feet through two buildings - nothing
" " in my bedroom (bungalow) approx 20 feet through a wall - nothing

Mobi conects and transfers to laptop reasonably quickly no further than 8 or 9 feet away so in general if you decide to buy one of these, shoot a picture while standing reasonably close to your laptop (or connect manually) then lay your camera next to it for best results.

The CF extreeme adapter does have metal side plates that I will remove and test again as I've read this may cause interference

Another side note, once the mobi has been removed from my camera and read by the card reader in my pc then the card returned to the camera, the camera will only read images that are already on the card intermittently

Would be great if someone with a slr that takes sd cards without a cf adapter could add connection distances as a refrence for other users

Thanks
Posted 27 Jan 2015
Edited by Carpe_Diem 27 Jan 2015
thelook
Photographer
thelook
I do a lot of Black Tie Mobile Studio Events.
I've used Eyefi cards since their first cards and I'm still using the X2 model.

My set up uses a PC and Router which connects to the card. Initially used in a Nikon D80 and now in a Nikon D600.
Range depends on a number of factors such as WiFi useage in the area, walls, and the Bands Wireless Mics etc.

On a good day I've had a range of around 50ft (in a clear school hall) and on a bad day around 3ft.
To be honest, I usually have an average of around 10 - 15ft at a fair speed, which is more than enough for Events Photography.

I do find tranfer speed drops before the signal is lost so you can balance range against tranfer speeds.

I've often thought about buying the Nikon Wireless Unit but, as Eyefi works so well, it's an outlay I do not need to make. Plus its not really wireless as it is connects to the camera by a wire.

Not sure if all this helps but at least it's here.....

Posted 28 Jan 2015
MG
Photographer
MG
The best solution that I have found for a Canon DSLR us an App called DSLRController along with a TP Link wifi connector that connects to your camera via the usb cable. The range is incredible.

The entire setup costs less than £50 and you don;t have to worry about what eyefi cards to use in your camera. You can easily shoot Raw + Jpeg and just transfer the Jpeg to your tablet / phone or laptop.

Posted 30 Jan 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join