Panoramic landscape tools.

Panoramic landscape tools.

18 posts
5 Jan 2015
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Some months ago someone posted a link to a device which allowed a camera to be attached and it could be set to take exposures automatically as it mechanically panned through a sequence of shots as determined by the photographer. Anyone know the device I am refering to and the manuacturer?

I am also looking to stich MF film images together. I experimented a bit using PShop and a couple of images that I created for the purpose and the results were reasonable, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend better software...or is PS as good as it gets for this purpose?
Posted 5 Jan 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
It was a Gigapan (I think I posted about it)

Posted 5 Jan 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
There's several models for various camera sizes although I'd only consider the biggie.

www.gigapan.com
Posted 5 Jan 2015
Edited by RedChecker 5 Jan 2015
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Cheers.....it was you come to think of it!! I am thinking of buying a smaller one to use with a Canon G1X...see how it goes!!

Posted 5 Jan 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Posted 5 Jan 2015
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Many times have I looked at Gigapan and almost bought the equipment/software but at around £800 I then think of the lens that would go some way towards, so I still don't have Gigapan, but would love to hear from anyone who has actually taken the plunge and bought it.

Dave

Posted 5 Jan 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
The problem is with that train of thought is that in all honesty, most of us probably have lenses that cover what we'd probably buy. For example.... I'd like the 135mm f2 L (about £800) but my 70-200 F2.8 IS L does cover its range and is not too far from the 135 in terms of performance. The Gigapan on the other hand is something totally different in my arsenal and would give me another form of photography to explore (all my other stuff is model/portait biased).

Posted 5 Jan 2015
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
You're absolutely right Redchecker - in fact my last lens purchase, only about 3 months ago was the 135/f2L, so I now have an 85mm, 100mm L macro, 135/f2, 24-105L, and 70-200 f2.8 L Mk2 - yep, I'm a sucker for a new lens!

Unfortunately when it comes to decision time, I always end up thinking that another lens will get more use than a flash-in-the-(Giga) pan purchase.

Posted 5 Jan 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I'm attracted to the Gigapan because of the sheer size of the images that can be produced as I've always found single-shot landscapes disappointing on my cameras (nowhere near enough resolution, especially if wanting panoramic crops).

I could envisage that the Gigapan would be a good money-maker in the right hands.

Posted 5 Jan 2015
markwalden
Photographer
markwalden
As for the software I have now purchased the Autopano Giga software and have been using for the past month and have found that it works much better than the other software that I used to use (PTGui) I did have a playaround with the panoramic software in PS, but sometimes it was not very good at all which is why I used the PTGui software before getting the Autopano Giga software. There was an image that I took back in May 2013 while I was in Paris that the PTGui software was not able to stitch it together, but using the Autopano Giga software it was no problem at all. I take most of my panoramic images hand held unless done a night when I would use a panoramic head that I brought of Ebay.

Posted 5 Jan 2015
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
Well, I am a very, very recent purchaser of a Gigapan! It's an ex demo Epic Pro, the big one, just getting into it, at the moment.

Posted 5 Jan 2015
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
Unfortunately, it seems that the company that produces the Gigapan are having some trouble. I have been lusting after the Epic Pro for a while now - and decided to take the plunge last October. However after reading this from the UK supplier, I have given up for the time being.

http://www.red-door.co.uk/pages/productpages/gigapan-motorised-panorama-heads.html

I have also tried the main website Steven linked to, but always get an error when adding anything to the basket. I hope that they do come back in 2015.

As to the Gigapan software, yes it is very good, but it does not support exposure blending (HDR), which for landscapes is essential in my opinion, however, PTGui Pro does.

Posted 6 Jan 2015
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
EllessePhotography

As to the Gigapan software, yes it is very good, but it does not support exposure blending (HDR), which for landscapes is essential in my opinion, however, PTGui Pro does.

One very good reason I hope manufacturers move to 16 bit (or higher) RAW in the future.  I've heard that the tonal range with 16-bit RAW on the likes of Hasselblad puts 14-bit RAW from Canon/Nikon to shame.
Posted 6 Jan 2015
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
Gigapan have been taken over by a larger company, but are in the process of getting reorganised.

Posted 6 Jan 2015
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhotography
RedChecker

One very good reason I hope manufacturers move to 16 bit (or higher) RAW in the future.  I've heard that the tonal range with 16-bit RAW on the likes of Hasselblad puts 14-bit RAW from Canon/Nikon to shame.

Agree, I remember the difference moving from the 30D (12bit) to 40D (14bit) made.  Must have a look at the Pentax MF, at £6.5k it's a bit more affordable than a Blad.

magpie1

Gigapan have been taken over by a larger company, but are in the process of getting reorganised.

That's good to know, will keep an eye out - hope that the price remains similar. 

Posted 6 Jan 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join