CR2 to JPEG?

13 posts
29 Dec 2014
emmwood
Model
emmwood
Hey all!

I've shot about 6 weddings this year as 2nd camera (assistant tog?) on a Canon 7D (belongs to the photographer who gets the gigs) but the files are all in raw format, and being a Nikon person, I don't have the Canon software that comes with their cameras!

Advice please on best way to batch these to JPEG so I can see them to be able to choose best ones to work with?

Thanks in advance!

Posted 29 Dec 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Adobe Lightroom would be one way. You can install a 30 day free trial.

And if you're going to be doing many weddings in future it's perfect for the job and well worth the subscription price. It also supports Nikon as well as many other RAW formats.
Posted 29 Dec 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 29 Dec 2014
salfordtog
Photographer
salfordtog
Either Lightroom, Aperture if on a Mac no matter what is said about it changing or you can download Canon's own software from web.

But for quality stick with RAW files don't edit in JPEG

Posted 29 Dec 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Google Picasa can read CR2 files iirc and is free although I can't remember if it can batch process.

Irfanview can batch process files iirc (again it's free)

It may be worth checking Canon's website as their DPP software (Digital Photo Professional) may be a free download as well.

Posted 29 Dec 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
But yes, Lightroom's arguably the best if you have access to it.

Posted 29 Dec 2014
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
At its current price, Lightroom is worth buying straight away.

Posted 29 Dec 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
emmwood

Hey all! I've shot about 6 weddings this year as 2nd camera (assistant tog?) on a Canon 7D (belongs to the photographer who gets the gigs) but the files are all in raw format, and being a Nikon person, I don't have the Canon software that comes with their cameras! Advice please on best way to batch these to JPEG so I can see them to be able to choose best ones to work with? Thanks in advance!

You do not need to convert to jpeg in order to see them. All the programs suggested above will show the raw image file as is. If you want to add another and have a p[owerful enough computer the OnOne Perfect suite now has a built in browser that reads raw files too. (Plust you can grade them and take those gradings over into Lightroom) Again there is a months trial.

Posted 29 Dec 2014
graham_f8
Photographer
graham_f8
You can download all Canon software from their website for each camera. You get EOS utility for downloading and Digital Photo Professional as part of this which allows you to work on CR2 and convert to jpeg.

Posted 30 Dec 2014
PG_Photographic
Photographer
PG_Photograp..
Unfortunately you don't say which operating system you are on.

If it is Microsoft Windows then the simplest option to be able to view the images is to download the "Microsoft Camera Codec Pack" for your Windows version which will allow you to see the thumbnails of the CR2's in explorer but also view them in Windows Photo Viewer etc.

Posted 30 Dec 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
Instant Jpeg from Raw (IJFR) will do what you want. It is free and very fast, as fast as just copying the files. It extracts the embedded Jpeg in the raw, and converts it to whatever size you want for viewing. Just select a raw image or group of images, right click and select the IJFR option, and it happens almost instantaneously. It is available for Mac or PC.
Links don't seem to work, so just Google it.

Posted 30 Dec 2014
Edited by Bill_M 30 Dec 2014
HarryC
Photographer
HarryC
Silly question, but why not just set the camera to record both raw and JPEG Fine. I assume that the Wedding photographer will be doing the editing anyway and will want raw files!

Posted 2 Jan 2015
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
There's no reason not to apart from card space. But you can always extract the embedded one anyway.

Posted 3 Jan 2015
MG
Photographer
MG
If nobody has already said so there is a free RAW converter that Adobe provide which converts it to a DNG file which then I believe Nikon software support... Just double check that is correct.

Alternatively just get a free trial of lightroom and see how you get on with it... Its pretty nifty and fairly easy to get the hang of...

Posted 3 Jan 2015
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join