Photo editing software

15 posts
28 Nov 2014
PhArt
Photographer
PhArt
ok ...im not impressed that Adobe have made Photoshop a subscription download.. I don't want to pay each month for it! I want to buy the software once!!! So.. can anyone recommend an alternative piece of software that compares to Photoshop...

Posted 28 Nov 2014
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Buy an older version of PS on CD, somewhere like ebay. It is the industry standard, and the reason for that is because its the best.......waits for everyone to start disagreeing.....

Posted 28 Nov 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Get it free, legally, here:

Photoshop CS2 for free.
Posted 28 Nov 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 28 Nov 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
swalsh58

Buy an older version of PS on CD, somewhere like ebay. It is the industry standard, and the reason for that is because its the best.......waits for everyone to start disagreeing.....

Be very careful when buying copies on CD, especially on ebay as there's a lot of fakes about (I know from bitter experience)
Posted 28 Nov 2014
MG
Photographer
MG
If you are using PC you can download Serif Photoplus Starter edition free of charge forever. It does 94% of what 96% of photoshop users require . That is an absolute fact as I just made it up! This will be made available forever as fact now as it is on the world wide web http://www.serif.com/freedownloads/
Posted 28 Nov 2014
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photogra..
marlhamphoto

Get it free, legally, here:

Legal it's not.

Posted 29 Nov 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
phart? How do you pronounce that?

Posted 29 Nov 2014
StNeots
Photographer
StNeots
MG

If you are using PC you can download Serif Photoplus Starter edition free of charge forever. It does 94% of what 96% of photoshop users require . That is an absolute fact as I just made it up! This will be made available forever as fact now as it is on the world wide web http://www.serif.com/freedownloads/

I tred Serif (version X5) a few years ago and by default it applied "corrections" to the image on import, which screwed it up if you didn't want a centred histogram image.
Corel PSP X7 is 16 bit image editing and 64 bit memory addressing. It is more like photoshop in working and you don't have to fight autocorrection to get the result you want.
Posted 29 Nov 2014
PhArt
Photographer
PhArt
ok thanks for the replies ... Firstly I have CS4 already my issue with upgrading is the RAW files from my Canon 1 DX will not open and there is no upgrade patch for this ..hence I HAVE to upgrade to the latest version... I will look at Serif... I use a MAC so need to have that version.. and for those who are interested! "Phart" is pronounced as you would expect!!! FART!

Posted 29 Nov 2014
Kizer
Photographer
Kizer
Have you tried to get a raw converter that will convert you files into something that your version of photoshop will open its worth a try!

Posted 29 Nov 2014
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photogra..
PhArt

ok thanks for the replies ... Firstly I have CS4 already my issue with upgrading is the RAW files from my Canon 1 DX will not open

You can use free Adobe DNG Converter to convert your RAW files to DNG and then use CS4.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/11/camera-raw-8-7-and-dng-converter-8-7-now-available.html

Posted 29 Nov 2014
Edited by PHP_Photography 29 Nov 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Yup, adobe DNG works fine, I've used it for 70d and 6d files which don't open as cr2 in cs5. Cs6 supports them though.

Posted 29 Nov 2014
stevegosh
Photographer
stevegosh
ACD see

Posted 30 Nov 2014
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
swalsh58

It is the industry standard, and the reason for that is because its the best.......waits for everyone to start disagreeing.....

It may be industry standard,
It may be the best,

but the two are not equal.... standards change and the best is only as good as its latest version...  so why try and start an argument when you know your wrong becasue you expected people to disagree...frown
and you forgot to add
it may be the most exensive too smiley
Posted 30 Nov 2014
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Lightroom - its cheap enough

Posted 30 Nov 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join