Home Shoot Rates? /Advice

Home Shoot Rates? /Advice

26 posts
26 Nov 2014
I've been asked by a few photographers if I can do shoots from home, question is do you charge extra for this, what would you say is reasonable , as its cheaper than a hotel.

Also any do's or don't??

Thanks

Posted 26 Nov 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Lots of models are able to shoot in their home. Personally I've never encountered a single model who charged extra for the use of it.

As ever taking up references and talking directly to models the photographer has worked with, rather than relying on public references, is important.

If you do it regularly you're quite likely to get some raised eyebrows amongst your neighbours!

Pictures of the rooms you have available to shoot in are always useful.

Posted 26 Nov 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 26 Nov 2014

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure about the charging or not, yes can imagine my neighbors will be gossiping. Lol x

Posted 26 Nov 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I've never encountered charging and I've done quite a few shoots in models' homes.

From a photographer's point of view it's an added bonus and for many of us it's an attractive proposition as it not only saves the agro of finding somewhere but also keeps costs down.

From the model's point of view it lets them stay in bed longer, they don't have to get ready to go out, there's no travelling and the associated costs with it.

Posted 26 Nov 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Sophiehotlips

...yes can imagine my neighbors will be gossiping. Lol x

Most photographers will want to use flash unless your place is particularly well blessed with good natural light. And unless you've got thick curtains that flash is gonna draw attention from up to half a mile away every time it pops!
Posted 26 Nov 2014
Well true yes you do get to stay in bed longer haha. Thats that cleared up then.
Posted 26 Nov 2014
marlhamphoto
Most photographers will want to use flash unless your place is particularly well blessed with good natural light. And unless you've got thick curtains that flash is gonna draw attention from up to half a mile away every time it pops!
Good point back room it is then, might have to get some new blinds.
Posted 26 Nov 2014
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
I think it is reasonable BUT as said by the others: it is not usual practice.
The advantages cut both ways, cheaper etc. for the photographer and more convenient for the model. No number of suitcases is ever going to contain ALL of your clothes!
Home shoots can be a pain if you are after a very particular look and there is not enough room for the lights etc. for that look but the advantages far outweigh the inconvenience.
I like home shoots and will definitely look with extra favour on a model who can shoot from home.
Due to a poor satnav I was 40 minutes late for a shoot yesterday. If that was a home shoot the model would have been in her own home, not on a drafty railway station.

Posted 27 Nov 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
It should also go without saying but if you're going to shoot from your home, it needs to be presentable. No dirty knickers & socks lying around, no fag butts & half empty glasses on furniture, if you've got children the toys need to be put away out of sight etc. etc. It really needs to be spotless and free of clutter (as it will show & annoy in the photos).

It's almost comical to say but I know one photographer who told me he vacuumed & tidied a model's home while she getting ready for the first hour of the shoot as it was that bad. Poor sod, LOL!

Posted 27 Nov 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
RedChecker

It should also go without saying but if you're going to shoot from your home, it needs to be presentable. No dirty knickers & socks lying around, no fag butts & half empty glasses on furniture, if you've got children the toys need to be put away out of sight etc. etc. It really needs to be spotless and free of clutter (as it will show & annoy in the photos). It's almost comical to say but I know one photographer who told me he vacuumed & tidied a model's home while she getting ready for the first hour of the shoot as it was that bad. Poor sod, LOL!

TFH  (Time for Hoover?)  No mug that girl!

Mind you, I had one model who shot at my house complain it was too clean - you can't win! 

Posted 27 Nov 2014
Edited by mph 27 Nov 2014
Paul_J
Photographer
Paul_J
i remember seeing a casting from a very established model asking for an additional cash contribution towards her electric bill should the photographer wish to use mains powered flash. i cannot help but feel that this comes across as being a little bit cheeky & had the potential to put people off working with her.

please do listen to the advice regarding checking referenences etc & be sure you're comfortable with the person that you're letting into your home. over the years i have heard the occasional story about photographers having to be physically thrown out of the model's home (by the model herself) or turning up unannounced later on.

good luck
Posted 27 Nov 2014
Edited by Paul_J 27 Nov 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Paul_J

i remember seeing a casting from a very established model asking for an additional cash contribution towards her electric bill should the photographer wish to use mains powered flash. i cannot help but feel that this comes across as being a little bit cheeky & had the potential to put people off working with her.

In a way it is a bit cheeky but when you consider that some photographers will want to use hotlights (which could be several kW for the entire kit), it's understandable, so if she charged say £5 for the day I wouldn't gripe (which would cover the use of say, four redheads).
Posted 27 Nov 2014
Paul_J
Photographer
Paul_J
RedChecker

In a way it is a bit cheeky but when you consider that some photographers will want to use hotlights (which could be several kW for the entire kit), it's understandable, so if she charged say £5 for the day I wouldn't gripe (which would cover the use of say, four redheads).

if i remember correctly, it was £5p/h!
Posted 27 Nov 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Thankfully it wouldn't bother me as all my stuff's battery powered
Posted 27 Nov 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
[qt][author]Paul_J[/author]

please do listen to the advice regarding checking references etc & be sure you're comfortable with the person that you're letting into your home. over the years i have heard the occasional story about photographers having to be physically thrown out of the model's home (by the model herself) or turning up unannounced later on.
[/qt]

Certainly one of the riskier types of shoot. It seems intuitively that you are safer in your own home than the photographer's - but at least if you go to him, you (and anyone you tell) know where he lives!

Posted 27 Nov 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join