5d mk 2, advice on settings required...sports !

5d mk 2, advice on settings required...sports !

9 posts
16 Nov 2014
photostore
Photographer
photostore
I have been asked to shoot a training session for some mma guys on tuesday, anyone who has shot this type of thing regular  ? as i'd appreciate some advice ref iso, shutter speeds etc as i wont have time to play around at the start, not even sure if i will get away with flash during the training session ? 

A nearly there start point, is all i'm after to allow me to quickly tweek to the local conditions? Basically i want to stop the action dead. fastest glass i have is f1.8

Posted 16 Nov 2014
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
I have a 5d mkII. What is an mma guy? Is it indoors or outdoors? What is the lighting like? What lenses are you going to use? How much room do you have to work with? How far from the action will you be? Is it daytime or night? Are you shooting one person at a time or several? Its impossible to give you any advice with such limited information regarding what your actually going to be doing.

Posted 16 Nov 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
I'd enable AutoISO and shoot in aperture priority mode. Just set the minimum shutter speed in the AutoISO settings high enough to freeze the action. Set aperture for required DOF. Then you can just concentrate on getting the shots whilst the camera looks after the rest. Noise will just add a nice 'gritty' effect.

Posted 17 Nov 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 16 Nov 2014
photostore
Photographer
photostore
swalsh58

I have a 5d mkII. What is an mma guy? Is it indoors or outdoors? What is the lighting like? What lenses are you going to use? How much room do you have to work with? How far from the action will you be? Is it daytime or night? Are you shooting one person at a time or several? Its impossible to give you any advice with such limited information regarding what your actually going to be doing.

MMA = mixed martial arts
and If i knew all this i wouldnt be asking,

shooting pairs of fighters two at a time, indoors, evening, (presumable tungsten lighting)
don't expect to be mobile around the gym ?
Thats about as much as i know at the moment hence asking for a generalisation from someone who shoots this kind of thing, mma. boxing. karate. judo etc
wanted advice on shutter speeds to stop a punch / kick, advice on iso/grain, although another poster rightly said this can add to the shot.

Not had the kit out of the bag in over a year and never shot sports with it but not sure the 5d mk 2 has auto iso ? i may be wrong and will check in the morning
Posted 17 Nov 2014
Edited by photostore 16 Nov 2014
MG
Photographer
MG
It does have auto ISO but personally id neber use it. i shot sports witha 5dii for a few years. Not tne best camera to shoot on really. Lighting should be pretty stable if youre shooting inside. Iso 1000 to 2000. You can push it to 3200 if you need to. Shutter speed over 500 but preferably over 1000 if you can get away with it. Aperture.... Not so crucial, just what it allows you to work with. Use a zoom lens of 200mm + On it. Probablynshoot in Jpeg as the buffer maynwell be too slow for sports!

Hope this helps.... The above is a bit like a map.... Its my way of getting to the end result but there are lots of other ways too....

Posted 17 Nov 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I'd actually be tempted to go wide-angle if they allow you to get close to the ring. It will not only eliminate the DOF issues but can look pretty dramatic, especially when you get the entire room in the shot.

Some boxing shots I've quickly googled as a sample of where I'm coming from:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/some-boxing-images.400199/

Posted 17 Nov 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
RedChecker

I'd actually be tempted to go wide-angle if they allow you to get close to the ring. It will not only eliminate the DOF issues but can look pretty dramatic, especially when you get the entire room in the shot. Some boxing shots I've quickly googled as a sample of where I'm coming from: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/some-boxing-images.400199/

+1

If it's only a training session you ouught to be able to get up close for some compelling shots. A long lens doesn't provide the same 'atmosphere' IMO.
Posted 17 Nov 2014
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
MG
It does have auto ISO but personally id neber use it. i shot sports witha 5dii for a few years. Not tne best camera to shoot on really. Lighting should be pretty stable if youre shooting inside. Iso 1000 to 2000. You can push it to 3200 if you need to. Shutter speed over 500 but preferably over 1000 if you can get away with it. Aperture.... Not so crucial, just what it allows you to work with. Use a zoom lens of 200mm + On it. Probablynshoot in Jpeg as the buffer maynwell be too slow for sports! Hope this helps.... The above is a bit like a map.... Its my way of getting to the end result but there are lots of other ways too....
I would agree with this too. I wouldn't use auto ISO, just judge the light when you get there, wack the ISO up, set the shutter speed to what you need to stop the action, then an appropriate aperture. Do you have a meter? Or set the 5D to shutter priority after wacking the ISO up and see what aperture value it gives you, then set it manually. That goes out of the window of course if you can use flash. I only asked for the extra info as it makes it easier to give you a sensible reply.
Posted 17 Nov 2014
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Everyone, thanks a lot for that
Posted 17 Nov 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join