Honestly, do I have a shot at being a model?

Honestly, do I have a shot at being a model?

14 posts
19 Oct 2014
jlynn
Model
jlynn
Friends and family I talk to say my pics are beautiful. But, honestly, I don't think they're being totally honest. I need some help from you all, that don't know me, to honestly, let me know if I have a shot at being a model? Anything I need to change anywhere? Thanks everyone!!

Posted 19 Oct 2014
digitalmood
Photographer
digitalmood
I would suggest that you take the 'paid work only' off your profile until you have some experience. Work with some local photographers that can give you good images to build a strong portfolio. One you have that, you can consider taking on paid assignments
Posted 19 Oct 2014
Try and work with the best people you can - At the moment I think the photographs are doing you a disservice and I believe you are capable of being in much more flatter ing shots good luck xx
Posted 19 Oct 2014
Fox2006
Photographer
Fox2006
The potential is there you just need some better images to show off. This will lead to more work and even better images..and so on Have fun
Posted 20 Oct 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Leave the 'Paid work only' on, at least initially. That way you can make you own call on who you wish to work with rather than get hit on by every chancer within range who has spotted fresh meat. That said I can only find four photographers in your area, this being a predominantly UK site. If you want to pursue the modelling for fun or profit you may be better picking a US centred site.

In therms of the images they are nice perfectly acceptable photos and you are not unattractive. If you want to do the modelling just for a bit of fun I am sure you will find people willing to work with your. When it comes to paid work though frankly it is not down to anything as simple as just looks. To make any money you need to have an astute business head. That includes being able to look at yourself as a commodity and make an honest appraisal of what markets you have a realistic chance of finding work in.

Posted 20 Oct 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
If you want to try, try. If not, don't. I don't know a vast amount of models, but the majority I've met do it because they like it. Cash night seem attractive but for even very good models the hourly rate isn't exceptional once all the time and overheads are accounted for.
That said, right now there's nothing I see in your portfolio which would inspire me ( and nothing I've said that should deter you if you're serious about having a go)

Posted 20 Oct 2014
hi there!

You have lovely natural photos! You cant tick the box "paid work only" and say you are an "amateur" though! If you do "paid work only" you will need to show all your self-employment records (NI number, unique tax code) and probably now passport, everywhere you go to jobs and castings. Its best to join a huge USA site if thats your base address.

Posted 22 Oct 2014
p.s. if you want a quick professional opinion, get the internationally printed magazines like "Red" Marie Claire" or Cosmopolitan, at the end of the shoots they actually list the photographers, MUA stylists, models and location. Once you have this info you can contact the agencies, go to a walk in and they will look at your snapshots, take their own and i guess, tell you quickly. you might have to travel to see them though, wherever they are, its likely they will need you to go to New York or similar big city. let us know how you get on

Posted 22 Oct 2014
fredphoto
Photographer
fredphoto
I'm new here too, but been on another model site for about a year. There are some other sites more used by US photogs, like me.

One bit of feedback for you, you are clearly an outdoors kind of person, very natural look. That's what artistic photogs are looking for. Your work interest list is mostly for the fashion/ indoor studio genres, so while I wish you luck, you might want to consider working in some of the other genres. While many art photogs are wanting nudity, full partial implied, there are a few who shoot without it, those who pay for clothed only are a rare thing indeed.

BTW, don't worry about the self-employment records here in the US, but the amateur listing and paid work only is not going to help you. You need an extensive portfolio and list of references before anyone will consider you a professional, so hold off on that awhile.

Posted 8 Dec 2014
Can people have alook a my profile please . and tell me if im model type please . thankyou paradise20

Posted 9 Dec 2014
PHOTOJOE670
Photographer
PHOTOJOE670
Short answer,,, yes,,, if there wasnt the pond in the way i'd book you, dave

Posted 9 Dec 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Probably, Yes! But you are not in the UK...Shame!

Posted 14 Dec 2014
cm480
Model
cm480
it's always hard starting as a totally new model. I'd recommend booking some TF shoots so that you can add a nice range of images to your profile (sort of what I'm doing now).

In the meantime, good luck and have fun!

Posted 16 Dec 2014
jes
Model
jes
jlynn, If you want to do some modelling for a hobby then you should go for it.  If you want to make money from it, your options are likely to be working for camera clubs and hobbyist potographers or perhaps doing some commercial work.  The latter is quite competitive but requires people of all ages, heights, size etc etc.  You may need to register with an agency for this, but make sure they are legitimate and not going to charge you.  If you decide to work for hobbyist photographers, be aware that often some of them are looking for models who are happy posing nude.  I didn't notice what levels you ticked on your profile.  Whatever you decide, I would suggest you get some good basic images taken of yourself.  Your current ones are very bad.  Sorry but I'm honest!  Best of luck, whatever you do.  Oh and you have fab hair...maybe you could try and do some hair modelling?.. you could approach colleges or salons as they need models for portfolio pictures and it may be a good way for you to get some images for your own port. 

Posted 16 Dec 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join