How Much Time Does It Take To Get Ready For A Shoot?

How Much Time Does It Take To Get Ready For A Shoot?

8 posts
23 Sep 2014

How much actual time does a model or photographer need to get ready for a shoot?

The other evening, the photographer and I had just half an hour notice for a location hay field shoot. The farmer, I had contacted earlier in the day to ask for permission to shoot in his fields full of haybales...we had planned to shoot the following morning.

Then, the local weather forecast came in...not good for the morning...so we decided to shoot that evening instead... photographer, Paul Manuell grabbed his photographic gear, then jumped in his car to get to location through the busy rush hour City traffic, out to me in the countryside. I first had to fix tea for a hungry hubby then donned my modelling makeup. My model bags are always packed ready for any given shoot. My evening dress to be worn for this shoot decided to have a jammed zip...Murphey's Law of course...but finally it relented and did up perfectly.

Amazingly, both photographer and I got to our meeting point early...and seeing the combine harvester and trailer on tractor were actually cutting the fields and gathering in the harvest as they went, we had to work fast. Especially as this time of year, the evenings are drawing in fast...

Paul, works with film only...no digital quick images, so, it took time to set up the shots and capture the images thus.

Am pleased to say that the golden evening sunlight light and reflector board made the resulting images look (we thought anyway) wonderful. It turned out to be a very successful shoot...

Some shoots are planned weeks, or months in advance...yet this time, a last minute shoot came up with what we considered to be good results, which both photographer and myself were extremely pleased with. Glad we jointly made the effort...

What's the shortest time you as a model or photographer have had to prepare and get to a shoot...Is it easier for a model or for a photographer, time-wise?

I suppose in the case of Art Nude - it's going to be easier for the model - with just her Birthday Suit to worry about...

Images NOT edited.

Posted 23 Sep 2014
Edited by SuzyMonty 23 Sep 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
In theory I could be ready to roll in an instant as all the gear I'm likely to need lives in my car boot virtually all the time. Most of the pro photographers I know are like that - a huge boot full of gear which they dare not remove in case something gets forgotten on the next shoot.

Plus with the vagaries of the English weather it's good to have everything ready for those rare occasions when everything falls into place - weather, light, other commitments etc.

BTW seeing your images and the bales facing downhill makes me shudder - they would squash you flat if they started to roll and there'd be no stopping them. Possibly the perspective of the photographer's lens makes the slopes look steeper than they really are but I remember this story from a while back hence my shudder:

Squashed

Posted 23 Sep 2014
Mark you are quite right to voice concerns over Hay Bales rolling...Safety on any shoot is always paramount...but this field was pretty flat, thank goodness...cheeky
Posted 23 Sep 2014
Edited by SuzyMonty 23 Sep 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Oh I dunno, Suzy, it would've made for a good action shot, you running across the frame, red scarf flailing elegantly behind you, chased by a runaway bale. With the slow fps rate of my old film camera, though, we'd probably had to have gone for a good few takes to nail the shot.
Posted 23 Sep 2014
Edited by PaulManuell 23 Sep 2014
For me I can be ready in an instant. But I always find it nice to have time to relax and prepare myself before a shoot without rushing
Posted 25 Sep 2014
I enjoyed reading about this shoot what a lovely day!
To be honest it takes me about an hr to do my hair and make up usually and do this before the shoot
or if the studio is ok with me arriving early and its a bit of a drive and its an early start I will do my make up when i get there so its fresh
Ive only ever booked a couple shoots on the same day as it is a bit of a rush to work last minute but i have a basic model bag always packed and ready to go with a few pairs of shoes, lingerie, dresses in so i can always nip off quickly but personally i prefer bookings in advance but i havent had a nice spur of the moment shoot like yours!

Posted 28 Oct 2014
Once i am there, for an art shoot i guess i am ready in about 5 minutes! For fashion, lugging around half a wardrobe of outfits and shoes, make up...ooooh,......we ladies need at least a day to prepare!

Posted 28 Oct 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
actiongirl

For fashion, lugging around half a wardrobe of outfits and shoes, make up...ooooh,......we ladies need at least a day to prepare!

I have to warn you that you're not living up to your moniker!
Posted 28 Oct 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join