Video editing advice needed....

Video editing advice needed....

27 posts
18 Sep 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
For the first time ever I tried video editing using my G1X and PS CC. I decided it was time.

I am finding it  a steep learning curve as most manuals assume some prior knowledge...which I don't have. However, I am making some progress...or would be, if my computer wasn't struggling.

I was wondering if there is software out there not so demanding on the computer......and are there ways I can reduce the file size of my 'shoot' before loading it into PS (or other programme)? I can't believe all these people posting on Youtube etc are using high end computers. Mine is a 2009 27" iMac and it handles still images faultlessly.

All suggestions welcomed!!!
Posted 18 Sep 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
try iMovie for starters.

Posted 18 Sep 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Video is one of those things I'm desperate to get off the ground in but never quite get around to. I do have Magix Movie Edit Pro but only because it was a lot cheaper. Still eats up power. You only have to go over to Chillblast and look at the beasts people are buying for movie editing to realise how much computing power is needed for some video applications

Could be worth a short subscription with Lynda.com as I know they had excellent tutorials on this that start from absolute beginner. I'm not sure if it is the initial video size that is the problem though or simply the power CC uses during the creation process. Once done you can save to a much lower resolution. A months trial would probably save far more in ensuring you do not spend out on the wrong things

If you have CC then you will also have media encoder. You could try using this to batch convert to a smaller video size first and see if that helps.

Posted 18 Sep 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
I have tried iMovie but can.t make head or tails of it as yet.....PS CC seems easier to work with. I will give it another go later....

Posted 18 Sep 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
redbaron

Video is one of those things I'm desperate to get off the ground in but never quite get around to. I do have Magix Movie Edit Pro but only because it was a lot cheaper. Still eats up power. You only have to go over to Chillblast and look at the beasts people are buying for movie editing to realise how much computing power is needed for some video applications Could be worth a short subscription with Lynda.com as I know they had excellent tutorials on this that start from absolute beginner. I'm not sure if it is the initial video size that is the problem though or simply the power CC uses during the creation process. Once done you can save to a much lower resolution. A months trial would probably save far more in ensuring you do not spend out on the wrong things If you have CC then you will also have media encoder. You could try using this to batch convert to a smaller video size first and see if that helps.

Thats what I need I think...a low res video to play around with and learn techniques. The ten minute clip from my G1X was nearly 3GB...without any post processing which will add to the file size. Need to read the camera manual as well....I think I am recording at max quality at the moment.

Posted 18 Sep 2014
Edited by anthonyh 18 Sep 2014
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
Could you not resize the footage to a more manageable low res version. (I've never done that, so don't ask me how) But if you can, you could then do a rough cut (an Offline Edit) with the low res footage. When happy, produce an EDL (edit decision list). Now capture the footage again, and use the EDL to autoconform the final (Online) edit. Although, it might be easier to buy a new Computer. Dave
Posted 18 Sep 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
anthonyh

Thats what I need I think...a low res video to play around with and learn techniques. The ten minute clip from my G1X was nearly 3GB...without any post processing which will add to the file size. Need to read the camera manual as well....I think I am recording at max quality at the moment.

3GB isn't much :/

Decent video editors (certainly on the PC) are hardware accelerated via the graphics card (mine is 10x faster than CPU alone and it's a shitty graphics card too) which can help export and overlaying effect immensely. 

Some (like Premiere IIRC, it's been years since using it) can render a small version (the rough cut as Crippen says) for editing with to speed up the editing process and when you go to the final render it uses the full-res one.

But to answer your question.... I would advise against reducing resolution & quality as artifacts and intraframes mean cutting/splicing etc. won't be as smooth and other effects such as colour smoothness & sharpness will suffer with lower bitrates.
Posted 18 Sep 2014
otteypm
Photographer
otteypm
I assume when you say PS CC you are using photoshop? It is not really built for video and will be clunky. Use a dedicated video package, I use Premiere, have used Edius and Avid in the past, I haven't used it but a lot of people swear by the Sony software. Do not reduce the size of video before edit, only reduce it on export, check the bit rate of the recording in camera, you may be able to adjust it there, anything between 25 and 50 Mbps is fine for most purposes. Don't forget you are running 25 images every second so 3gb is normal. When we deliver programmes it is between 50 and 80 GB with terabytes of footage actually recorded. I am quite efficient in how I shoot but even my short videos will be 60 to 80 GB on the hard drive.

Posted 20 Sep 2014
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
Photoshop isnt really that good for editing and you would be better off by using Windows Movie Maker although its far from perfect.

I suggest you look at dowloading the trial of Adobe Premier Pro CC but if you are having problems handling footage you need to get more RAM.

Im a big user of Prem Pro & have been using it for years, and combined with After Effects & Speedgrade it' a top notch piece of Pro software.

Posted 20 Sep 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
As I said you're on a Mac so start with a basic package such as iMovie. I'm sure you'll find tutorial videos for it on YouTube and lots of help on Mac forums.

Posted 20 Sep 2014
EdT
Photographer
EdT
RedChecker
3GB isn't much :/ But to answer your question.... I would advise against reducing resolution & quality as artifacts and intraframes mean cutting/splicing etc. won't be as smooth and other effects such as colour smoothness & sharpness will suffer with lower bitrates.
Good advice there. Always work at the highest quality you can, then reduce the quality (if necessary) as the final step.
Posted 20 Sep 2014
Teidi
Photographer
Teidi
Well even a 2009 iMac will be fine -unless you're planning on serious 3D rendering and processor intensive work... which you aren't i don't think. As you have an iMac i'd give FCPX a go - it's very very easy to get going on it and unlike Adobe - you don't need to rent it.
Posted 20 Sep 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Teidi

Well even a 2009 iMac will be fine -unless you're planning on serious 3D rendering and processor intensive work... which you aren't i don't think. As you have an iMac i'd give FCPX a go - it's very very easy to get going on it and unlike Adobe - you don't need to rent it.

Yes but if you are only doing the odd bit at the moment renting may be cheaper. Just cancel until you need it for the next job

Posted 20 Sep 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
I am using PS CC as I saw a good online tutorial and was impressed by what could be done with it...in the right hands! This is a very casual incursion into video for me...a model I have worked with wants to see what she comes over like doing a bit of 'naughty video work' so something new for both of us. I am sure Youtube would be the final destination for whatever is produced if the standard was there!! I have 12GB of RAM on my computer and iMovie as it goes.....I really want to see what I can achieve within the limitations of my current gear, and hopefully, improved personal skills. I could up the RAM to 16GB I guess.....and maybe try any 30day trial stuff out there.
Posted 20 Sep 2014
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
12g is sufficent if if you use Win7 but you would need Win7 Pro to deal with any more Ram than 12g.

I didnt see u had a Mac but doesnt the Mac o/s come with a video editor?

Posted 20 Sep 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join