Serious question...

21 posts
16 Sep 2014
Is it possible to make money as a model without doing nude or topless shoots? I'm not a prude or anything, just wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it knowing that friends/family could come across something!
Posted 16 Sep 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Just walk into WH Smith and pick up a few magazines at random for your answer. Sites like this are a drop in the ocean when it comes to modelling work and a very distorted mirror on the genre as a whole.

Finding the work and convincing the right people you are the one is a whole new ball game of course but the simple answer is yes.....it is possible and I know of models who have done it
Posted 16 Sep 2014
Edited by redbaron 16 Sep 2014
Is you are 18 - 5'ft10 + and have great bone structure and a slim body with fantastic nails/skin/hair and teeth then yes. Via an agency.

If you aren't any of the above then you may get into an agency but it might be a little trickier.

You probably won't make much money on internet modelling without doing nude/topless, Often people think "oh I will just take my clothes off and I will make loads of money" - doesn't work like that. Some people may make £20 here and there from a photographer who is just looking for a naked female but to be a nude model and be paid regularly for your work you need to be good at it and work hard - having a good figure/being flexible is also of benefit.

If your worried about friends and family coming across it then it sounds like it would be something "hidden" and secrets are never cool. If you genuinely want to do it then I suggest telling your family and friends who matter.

Posted 16 Sep 2014
Astphoto
Photographer
Astphoto
Answer YES.

But you have to work at it. Like any job it takes dedication, hard work and a reality. As a professional photographer I have to spend most of my time running a business and looking for work. As the post above say's look at the published work, most is mundane but steady work if you can get it.

Topless/Nude work might produce some quick profit in the short term but you will find far more pictures advertising iron's, tupperware etc.

This industry sounds glamorous and fun but it is hard work and a never ending round of rejection and you will only get out what you put in.

Posted 16 Sep 2014
rondisneyphotography
Photographer
rondisneypho..
...all of the previous advice is essentially correct....however at 5ft-5ins..someone needs to be honest with you....

Posted 17 Sep 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
rondisneyphotography

...all of the previous advice is essentially correct....however at 5ft-5ins..someone needs to be honest with you....

Yes at 5'5" she probably won't get into an agency and certainly won't get into catwalk but this site generally caters for 'internet modelling' where odd things like height and being size zero aren't the be-all and end all to most* and there's no reason why she couldn't be mildly successful.  I've certainly never looked at a model's height or stats when booking them, I go simply by what I can see in photos.
Posted 17 Sep 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I'm never aware of height either really, it doesn't matter much unless maybe you're working for a designer with a rail full of clothes to show. Not common round these parts. As for nudity, you can choose to avoid it of course but be aware that some clothed or underwear work can be more obviously sexualised than naked might. I guess it's a case of making yourself appealing and a practical choice got photographers and stylists etc to want to hire. Start with an agency enquiry, probably one thats petite model friendly and see how you get on maybe? The quickest way to see how you'll get on here, is to arrange some shoots as your portfolio right now is a bit light.

Posted 17 Sep 2014
rondisneyphotography
Photographer
rondisneypho..
..fair comments guys....but as these types of internet sites are bent towards the glamour side of the industry and as she comments she does,nt want glamour work then this site is not for her.....as mentioned get 2or3 simple images shot under natural light with no slap on..send these off to a good well recommended local model agency and get a honest reply...

Posted 17 Sep 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Some successful 'internet' models would most likely get a firm 'no' from agencies so they're not likely to give the most honest reply. Some decent images would be a start (certainly as it's difficult to gauge based on the OP's current images) and take it from there. There's not hard/fast rules to this when it simply comes to being able to make a living regardless of it being freelancing off the internet or going through agencies.
Posted 17 Sep 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Lasonadora

Is it possible to make money as a model without doing nude or topless shoots? I'm not a prude or anything, just wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it knowing that friends/family could come across something!

If you're lucky you'll get your travel expenses covered. I wouldn't get your hopes up beyond that.
Posted 17 Sep 2014
Well, thank you for all your detailed replies, didn't expect so many so that's nice at least! I am aware that my height may be an issue, however in all other regards I have seemed to have had a good reception ie been told my face, figre etc. are pretty good in photos (gah, sorry to sound big headed!)

I guess I should arrange some shoots as I know my portfolio is lacking and will see how that goes!?

xx

Posted 17 Sep 2014
Edited by Lasonadora 17 Sep 2014
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
For a teeny weeny percentage yes there is but for the vast majority of the population, and even those that take their clothes off and use rubber products which would make you blush, it's a resounding no.

Posted 17 Sep 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Lasonadora

Well, thank you for all your detailed replies, didn't expect so many so that's nice at least! I am aware that my height may be an issue, however in all other regards I have seemed to have had a good reception ie been told my face, figre etc. are pretty good in photos (gah, sorry to sound big headed!) I guess I should arrange some shoots as I know my portfolio is lacking and will see how that goes!? xx

A pretty face is rarely enough though.

This might be worth a read when it's published next month:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Ugly-Girls-Guide-Modelling/dp/0957517092
Posted 17 Sep 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 17 Sep 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
marlhamphoto

A pretty face is rarely enough though.

This might be worth a read when it's published next month:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Ugly-Girls-Guide-Modelling/dp/0957517092