Sweeteners/sugar substitutes.

Sweeteners/sugar substitutes.

12 posts
3 Sep 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
I'm giving up sugar, I use far too much of it. Which ones do you recommend (through personal experience) as being the most sugar like taste without the chemical after taste usually associated with sweeteners?

Posted 3 Sep 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Go cold turkey. Yes things taste horrid for a time while you body adapts but after a couple of months the sense is the other way round. Anything with sugar in it now tastes horribly sickly to me now. Just hard to believe that initially.

Posted 3 Sep 2014
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
My experience is that ALL sugar substitutes taste pretty awful to begin with but when you find one that suits you; after a while it becomes preferable to sugar. I went through many until I settled on Cologran from Lidl. Not too expensive and does not have the after-taste of some. The granular version is hardly worth it. If you need to sweeten cold stuff you are better off dissolving a number of the tablets in a couple of teaspoons of boiling water and using that when cold. Sweeten the milk before putting it on the cornflakes and the like.

Posted 3 Sep 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Sorry, I should've mentioned it's only coffee that I have sugar in, not on cereals or anything, so it's the clickable tablet dispenser type of sweetener I'm after really. I drink 8-10 cups (at a guess) daily, so a fair bit of sugar there.

Posted 3 Sep 2014
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
redbaron

Go cold turkey. Yes things taste horrid for a time while you body adapts but after a couple of months the sense is the other way round. Anything with sugar in it now tastes horribly sickly to me now. Just hard to believe that initially.

Totally agree, anything without sugar tastes so much better.
Posted 3 Sep 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
Cut down gradually over a few weeks?

Posted 3 Sep 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
I enjoy the sweet taste, though, so don't want to give that up tbh. I just want a less calorific sugar substitute that tastes as near sugar as possible. Will just plump for one next time I go shopping and see what they're like..

Posted 3 Sep 2014
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
Anything containing saccharin has a lingering bitterness.
Nearest to sugar is Aspartame, this is said to taste "hollow".
Xylitol, made from Birch trees is quite good. Used in those little tiny mints
Just remembered - Tic Tacs.

Posted 3 Sep 2014
Edited by RupertRudd 3 Sep 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Stevia's quite nice, albeit somewhat expensive. Coca-Cola are going to release a new version of their drink soon that's made with this (called Coca-Cola 'Life')

Aspartame's (aka Neutrasweet) disgusting stuff and makes me feel ill. There's lots of horror stories about it on the web and people have been campaigning for years for clear labelling of it or even banning it as a result.

Posted 4 Sep 2014
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
I've tried them all, I use Tesco's own brand myself but my wife hates them and uses sweetex. I quite like sweet & Low you find in restaurants but I've never found it in a clickable dispenser. I tried going without but preferred my coffee sweet unless I'm drinking good coffee, as for tea I have to spit it out if someone has sweetened it.

On another note read the users comments on the amazon about sugar free gummy bears

http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B006J1FBLM/ref=acr_dpx_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0
Posted 4 Sep 2014
Edited by oceanova 4 Sep 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Thank you to everyone for all your comments/suggestions. After considering them all I plumped for the stevia. Underwhelmed to say the least. Tastes nothing like sugar; in fact, barely sweet at all. Just about tastes better than having nothing in coffee. Still, I'll persevere with it, see if my taste buds adapt to it.

Posted 6 Sep 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
RedChecker
Stevia's quite nice, albeit somewhat expensive. Coca-Cola are going to release a new version of their drink soon that's made with this (called Coca-Cola 'Life')
It's already out. Tastes ok
Posted 7 Sep 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join