advice for new model

40 posts
29 Aug 2014
hello im just starting out and would appreciate any hints or tips on how to make the most of the site?? thank yu
Posted 29 Aug 2014
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
Well, a profile not written all in CAPS would be a nice start.

Posted 29 Aug 2014
keithpics
Photographer
keithpics
You seem to be looking for paid work yet describe yourself as 'amateur'. There is no reason why you should not attract paid work so make it clear what you want. All the TF work in the world doesn't pay the bills.
And the CAPS didn't bother me.

Posted 30 Aug 2014
Edited by keithpics 30 Aug 2014
mvl
Photographer
mvl
Strike up a relationship with local photographers, tidy up you portfolio showing versatility, the type of work you are looking for if you don't have a good quality image of the style you want leave it off until you have one.
Bon chance with the future

Posted 30 Aug 2014
IainT
Photographer
IainT
The profile notes starting with small case and then caps look very lazy, like you cant even be bothered re-typing a line, like typical going through the motions "think I will put myself up in a model site but I'm just messing around really"

You look like you could get some work though. The snaps showing your figure are a good idea but are very unflattering. Do the same again but ask the photographer to take them from a low angle...camera position about thigh level.

Good luck.

Posted 31 Aug 2014
Thank you everyone for taking the time to write back with your feedback. I still cannot see where I have used capital letters though?? thanks again
Posted 31 Aug 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
samdavies2009

Thank you everyone for taking the time to write back with your feedback. I still cannot see where I have used capital letters though?? thanks again

It was the comments section so I assume you have corrected it since. Nothing major, looked like you caught the caps button while typing and did not realise. Lately I'm afraid that counts for high drama on this site while things are so quiet

Anyhow best of luck with your modelling.

Posted 31 Aug 2014
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
You don't come across as being happy in front of a camera. I don't mean you should be smiling but you need to look relaxed or appear comfortable.

Posted 31 Aug 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
frankpht

You don't come across as being happy in front of a camera. I don't mean you should be smiling but you need to look relaxed or appear comfortable.

Some photographers have that effect on a model unfortunately.
Posted 31 Aug 2014
oh dear if that's the case I think im in the wrong profession well it was my first shoot soo hopefully you can keep an eye on my profile as I add more pictures and tell if theres any improvement. thanks again for all comments
Posted 31 Aug 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
samdavies2009

oh dear if that's the case I think im in the wrong profession well it was my first shoot soo hopefully you can keep an eye on my profile as I add more pictures and tell if theres any improvement. thanks again for all comments

I wouldn't worry about it - a decent photographer will work with you to achieve a particular mood. Once you have a bit of experience behind you it'll come naturally.
Posted 31 Aug 2014
thank you that does make me feel better not that im one to give up anyway lol
Posted 31 Aug 2014
IainT
Photographer
IainT
And another tip is...probably don't come on to the forums asking for advice...lol

Anyway, just make your profile notes read a bit better and get a few decent images, both of which will happen fairly quickly and you'll be of and running.

I'm sure you've had a few offers already, just be selective, when you are new its easy to jump at any offer, but poor images are simply a waste of your time.

I have absolutely no doubt that you have some good pictures in you and I'm equally sure if you hold out you'll get offers from decent photographers.

Before agreeing to any unpaid work make sure what you are getting is worth it...you'll know that by checking the photographers previous work and who he or she has worked with. Don't be scared to say no and don't take any .
Posted 31 Aug 2014
Edited by Love 31 Aug 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
IainT

Anyway, just make your profile notes read a bit better and get a few decent images, both of which will happen fairly quickly and you'll be of and running.

Yes - worth looking at a few other profiles to get a better idea of what is useful for photographers to know

IainT

Before agreeing to any unpaid work make sure what you are getting is worth it...you'll know that by checking the photographers previous work and who he or she has worked with. Don't be scared to say no and don't take any .

Although I know what Iain means - TF as it is called is not really free - you give your time, the photogarpher gives his and you get some images for your portfolio.  It is a trade - not free!

But certainly - only work like that with someone whose work you actually admire.
Posted 31 Aug 2014
Edited by mph 31 Aug 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
That's a pretty warm reception for here, and I'd agree you could make some good pictures; this is all good.

Sorry at the lame/mock polite comments you'd got on your pictures already, some are more easily impressed than others. I'd suggest you hold out for really good offers, not just the first who suggest a TF shoot, and check references direct with models who've left them until you learn the ropes

Posted 31 Aug 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join