Model Portfolio

5 posts
25 Aug 2014
Hi I am new on here. I don't really have any experience of modelling but I am told I have a unique look. I have made a site of some photos though. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think. If I would be good as a mode Here is a link to my portfolio site- http://emmalightwing.wix.com/modelportfolio Also about 5 days ago I applied to storm model management and a few other big modelling agencies but I have not heard back yet? I was wondering if anyone else had applied to storm model management or another modelling agency online and if they could tell me how long it should take me to get a reply from them? Thankyou
Posted 25 Aug 2014
Edited by Lightwing12Star 25 Aug 2014
JohnFH
Photographer
JohnFH
Hi,

It's not bad for a start and you are showing that you are making an effort. A few points about the website:

- I don't like the font - it's a little difficult to read.
- The first photo I see on the website should be a clear shot of you so I can get a good idea of what you look like. The current photo is nice but tells me nothing about how you look.
- Remove the captions from the images as they are not needed and they don't add anything.
- The photos you have are not great but since you are only starting, they are good enough for now until you get better ones.
- In most of the images you have the same expression and it makes you look sad or stern or something. Practice smiling and then practice more smiling until your face hurts. Also working with a photographer who can help you relax will really help with your expression.

Having said all that, it's not bad for a start and if you put effort into getting a shoot then you should get better photos very quickly.

John.

Posted 23 Nov 2014
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
First of all I would lose the music. I agree with John above, change the font on the opening page to one which is clearer. Also every image is titled, and the titles are just the computerised file reference - ie new pic 8.jpeg. if you want titles, then retitle them all to something meaningful, like 'Playing the piccolo' or 'in the clouds' or something. If you don't want titles just delete them all. I also agree with John above about your expression, its the same in all the pics. You don't need to smile in them all, but have a variety of expressions, show what you can do. Some of the images are ok, some aren't. I would recommend working with a local photographer and getting some good strong images for your portfolio, add variety of poses, expressions and styles and then take it from there.

Posted 24 Nov 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I didn't check your webpage but did look through here at your portfolio. Your pictures suggest a shy and timid looking person without a real interest or skill in modelling - being photographed by a photographer without much clue how to help.
I think you'll need to develop your posing and expressions and even then find something interesting like costume or similar to encourage any interest from photographers. I don't think you'll find agency interest easy to attract.

There's no reason not to enjoy being photographed of course, but you need to contribute heavily to a great picture, and have some awareness of what a poor picture looks like too while you're starting out.

Posted 24 Nov 2014
Lightwing12Star

Hi I am new on here. I don't really have any experience of modelling but I am told I have a unique look. I have made a site of some photos though. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think. If I would be good as a mode Here is a link to my portfolio site- http://emmalightwing.wix.com/modelportfolio Also about 5 days ago I applied to storm model management and a few other big modelling agencies but I have not heard back yet? I was wondering if anyone else had applied to storm model management or another modelling agency online and if they could tell me how long it should take me to get a reply from them? Thankyou

It's very difficult to get into a decent model agency - if it was easy then we would all be signed to one (but then it would be much less special). I never applied for any because I don't have perfect hair/nails and my body shape isn't what they were looking for back when I started out. My way of guessing if I was going to be "agency standard" was to look at the girls they had on their books and I knew myself that going down the agency route would be a waste of time. Plus I was 22 at the time - normally their new faces are younger than that. So if you don't hear back from them don't be upset, they are extremely selective in who they take on. They can't respond or represent everybody who contacts them.

Agencies aren't the "be all" and end all - What will stand you in good stead is learning the ropes a little.

As mentioned you do look a little uncomfortable in your current images, but thats to be expected - its pretty daunting to have a stranger take your picture especially if you are not used to it and don't yet know what looks best photographically.

It may be worth casting for a photographer and setting aside a budget to pay for them. There are some fabulous photographers on here who charge a fraction of what places like venture and highstreet studios cost for a "portfolio" plus they may be able to help you in terms of direction and advice.

I ocassionally shoot people and my advice is always "just do what you like, if it looks crap then we delete it" - Move around, don't be afraid to pull daft expressions. The more you move and change expression the better chances are that you have a varied selection of images to look through after the shoot. Thats the best way for you to learn wht works for you and what doesn't - variety. All models have their favourite poses or expressions and angles to be shot from - you just have to learn yours and to do that you need to study images of yourself or study yourself in the mirror.

The good thing is people can see what you look like from your portfolio, they aren't heavilty edited.

Work with the best people you can, and they will bring out the best in you.

good luck

Posted 24 Nov 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join