Windows 8

15 posts
18 Aug 2014
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Must be a simple answer to this, How do you rotate pictures to correctly orientate them, ie pictures taken in portrait end up 90 degrees one way, I am just downloading them from card onto computers hard drive, As most probably know in windows 7 there is a arrow kind of thing that lets you do this but can't seem to find anything in this crazy mixed up software.

Posted 18 Aug 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
First task with any Windoze 8 Machine is to install and configure Classic Shell Thankfully Chillblast do this as a matter of course on their machines if you are silly enough to specify version 8. I have never even looked at that wretched tiled screen and will be perfectly happy with things staying that way. Boots straight to desktop and that is where it stays. Sory not a lot of use, other than it may have the function you are missing added back in. That said I have never seen the arrows you mention in either Vista or Windows 7! I import using Lightroom though and sort anything that has not auto rotated later.

Posted 18 Aug 2014
Edited by redbaron 18 Aug 2014
MarkLondon
Photographer
MarkLondon
Start 8 is also an excellent program to return the Windows 8 interface back to something more usable and familiar

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Posted 19 Aug 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
Here is a screen grab of the Windows 8 Photo Viewer with the "rotate" icons at the bottom of the screen circled in red.
Posted 19 Aug 2014
Edited by Bill_M 19 Aug 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Bill_M

Here is a screen grab of the Windows 8 Photo Viewer with the "rotate" icons at the bottom of the screen circled in red.

Yes but that does not rotate the photo permanently. Only in Photoviewir. Same as version 7. I'm guessing the OP uses windows to import the images onto disk from the card and is referring to a function in the import dialogue. As I don't use windows for this I cannot be much help. I have auto rotate set in camera and the odd one it gets wrong I alter in Lightroom.

I suppose another option would be to get one of the many free programs that are around like irfanview and use that instead.

Posted 20 Aug 2014
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Yes it does rotate it permanently. as does hightlight them in an explorer window and "right clicking" and selecting rotate left/right.
Windows 8 is easy to use - the app based front screen is easy to avoid so I have found no need of any other addons.

Posted 20 Aug 2014
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
MarkLondon

Start 8 is also an excellent program to return the Windows 8 interface back to something more usable and familiar http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

How does Start 8 or Classic Shell help to rotate a image ?

Posted 20 Aug 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
PHP_Photography

How does Start 8 or Classic Shell help to rotate a image ?

Probably doesn't - just keeps you sane!   wink
Posted 20 Aug 2014
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Maybe some of the PC ludites on here should go back to their old darkrooms and use pen and paper....

Posted 20 Aug 2014
mercman
Photographer
mercman
Bit laborious but in your downloaded folder ,highlight and right click , then rotate .   I'm sure you can highlight all that need rotating at once though .

Edit  .I think this only works with Jpg
Posted 20 Aug 2014
Edited by mercman 20 Aug 2014
Claypaws
Photographer
Claypaws
You need to use software to rotate the image based on exif data. Faststone and XnView are free programs that can do this in batch.

Posted 20 Aug 2014
scubie
Photographer
scubie
Surely Lightroom does this automatically? at least mine does!

Posted 23 Aug 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
scubie
Surely Lightroom does this automatically? at least mine does!
Obviously he wouldn't have posted the question if he used Lightroom or any other photo software.
Posted 23 Aug 2014
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Basically have Win 8 laptop for holidays as it is much lighter and a fair bit smaller than my Win 7 which has window photo viewer on it and Photoshop and is what I am used to, It was just that I couldn't seem to find a way of rotating on that laptop.

Posted 23 Aug 2014
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Use Irfanview, or if you prefer Apps look into Picture By Typhoon Systems.

Posted 23 Aug 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join