Studio Work/Jobs

7 posts
14 Aug 2014
Snipet
Photographer
Snipet
Ive been doing photography as a hobby for quite a few years now, and have really gotten into model photography over the last 2-3 years.

I currently work in retail but want to start in something photography related. Ideally working in a studio in some which, way or form.

Does anyone have any advice on what i should really be doing to make this happen, and the best place to find open positions I can apply for?

Look forward to any and all replies and help.

Gareth

Posted 14 Aug 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
My opinion only but.
It's unlikely in this current climate you will find a studio work job with a decent wage depending on where your based. Opening your own studio will kill you on rent and rates and unless your doing adult stuff you probably wont make much money in the modelling side. If any. Best bet is probably a very busy high street position with low rent and rates and doing family snap stuff during peak season. Or go mobile or home studio and do it that way. It's a competitive world when it comes to photography. The ones making money did it a different way with unique ideas.

Posted 14 Aug 2014
Snipet
Photographer
Snipet
Im in Portsmouth, and in all honesty im on pretty much a minimum wage in my current job so cant get much lower in wages.
Did think it was going to be very very hard to get any type of work like I want to do.
I have invested in a mobile studio set-up, so I have lights, backdrops etc. so I can do home visit work.
Was just hoping to get some work in an actual studio aswell.

Ah well, I can only keep looking and keep my fingers crossed something might come up.

Posted 14 Aug 2014
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
I like the Cruise ship jobs link, guys with cameras you pop rolls of plastic in the back, and Multiblitz lighting, so 70's....

Seriously, I don't think any big commercial studios would take someone on without them having at least C&G or degree level qualifications, and not sure if there are any big commercial studios around your area.

If you want to get paid, then it's the weddings, the portraits the family groups that pay but of course there are lots more people doing that with more experience and business acumen than you have.

I really cannot suggest anything positive, as only you know the area and after all, running a business mean that you have to make those decisions yourself, as you have to make the business fit you and your circumstances, and others have no insight into that.

Posted 18 Aug 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Last figures I saw the UK creates more photography graduates each year than there are photographers earning a living from it.

I get enquiries every week from people looking just to work with us at there own expense. Snag is I would potentially just be training up a competitor, so even at nothing I'm wary about taking someone on just for the convenience of having the lights moved around for me.

Posted 18 Aug 2014
Im not a photographer so have no helpful input but have been reading a lot of business books lately & always have a chuckle when I always see "Photographer" listed as an easy, potential career/business to start up.

Posted 18 Aug 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join