Am I wasting my time?

Am I wasting my time?

27 posts
12 Aug 2014
Hi all just need a little advice, in the real world am I wasting my time trying modelling? I get told I should be but I don't feel confident enough as I see a lot of stunning girls and think why me? Thanks for any advice

Posted 12 Aug 2014
What do you mean by in the real world? As in signing up for agencies? Height and age would bar you from this side of professional modelling.

I wouldn't advise sites such as these to models with low self esteem.

Posted 12 Aug 2014
blancho
Photographer
blancho
Start by doing lots of tfcd work. Pick good photographers you want to work with and ask them for shoots. Don't wait for people to ask you. Be prepared for lots to say no as if you've chosen correctly they will be busy. I was really shy when I started as a photographer but got confidence from working lots. I know it's the same with models

I worked a couple of times with a shy model tfcd. She started out the first six months doing lots of tfcd shoots. She now has one of the best folios around and a full paid diary.

You look good enough! Don't wait for the world to come to you. Go out and find it. And your always welcome here for a shoot.

Posted 12 Aug 2014
You look like a beautiful girl with a nice figure so I don't see why you can't have a shoot every now and then and get some gorgeous pictures.

I agree with Jen though that if by "real world" you mean agency representation then chances are pretty low - which is not meant as an insult to you at all - most people aren't "agency" material but it doesn't stop them from modelling and occasionally a few can make a career out of it.

If you feel like its something you want to do then go for it - aim for great pictures and not a career though.

xx

Posted 12 Aug 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Becoming a half decent model is far from easy and unless you're able to give it your full commitment it ain't going to happen IMO.

Aside from which your levels are going to limit the amount of work available to you significantly.

But if I were you I'd wait until you've completed your first shoot before making any decisions - once you've done that you'll know whether you enjoy modelling sufficiently to make it worth putting the effort in.
Posted 12 Aug 2014
Thank you for your replies have helped me a lot, I think I will give 1 ago and see if I like it you never know I might have fun and might get some nice pictures.

Posted 12 Aug 2014
I'm sure if you look around and select decent photographers to work with then you will easily be able to get some nice pictures out of it - and have a good time.

Have a look around photographers in your area and throw some of them a nice introduction message just saying hello and mentioning you would like to work with them. I have in the past approached people who specifically state they would only work with agency models etc but an honest message has resulted in them messaging back and arranging a shoot with me so don't be afraid to message the best people you can find.

xx

Posted 12 Aug 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Firstly you need a set of decent images which reflect your ability. You could pay a decent photographer or do several tfcd shoots.

Second you need to decide if your doing it as a hobby, or a job, or an extra earner, and put everything into which one you want to do. Start from the bottom and work up to your goal.

Thirdly you have a great look so why worry how others look?

Posted 12 Aug 2014
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Its all about passion. Most of us, photographers, models and make-up artists, are only still here due to some bizarre voice in our heads that defies logic and sense and makes us keep creating. If you have that urge to 'make something' then you probably 'suffer' from those voices too - so tune into them and go for it; you are a good looking girl, so you could make something for yourself. As too what exactly that is, well that's another matter; there isn't much money in this world for most, and there can be a lot of stress, but it can be rewarding too. Like others have said, try some shoots and see if you take to it. If you do then develop a portfolio and get a feel for how it works. If you enjoy it that is what matters most. Good luck!
Posted 12 Aug 2014
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
tinalou83

Hi all just need a little advice, in the real world am I wasting my time trying modelling? I get told I should be but I don't feel confident enough as I see a lot of stunning girls and think why me? Thanks for any advice

Hi Tina,
Confidence is a funny thing,  the more you have, the more you get!  The other funny thing is that most of us start off with little confidence and then as we do more,  we gain confidence.  
When you see those stunning girls,  why not think from a different perspective and ask yourself why not me?  Physically you can hold your own with the best of them,  you are very attractive.
As mentioned already,  the best models are those who have the right attitude.  Not being confident about your looks etc.,  is not unusual in the modelling world,  especially when starting out.  Almost all of us think we are not as good looking as the 'others',  and almost all of us are wrong.

My advice differs from many,  I'd suggest that you do not try and get great photos initially.  Nor would I suggest giving one shoot a go.  Try several shoots,  preferably with photographers who are willing to direct/coach you and explain how to pose etc.  Just relax and don't be at all scared to try lots of ideas, lots of poses and even silly expressions.  Some will work,  others may fail spectacularly.  It doesn't matter,  just have fun and see how those ideas suit you.
As you become more used to having a camera pointed at you,  you will relax more;  as you relax more you will get a little more confident;  as you get more confident,  you will relax more and the images will slowly start to reveal the real you.  You'll start to understand how to pose and relax, that's when the confidence starts to really build.
Don't even think about 'success rates',  at first you'll maybe get 1 in a 100 or 1 in a 1000 really good images,  so what?  That is just a starting point and you'll gradually get better results.
Posted 13 Aug 2014
thelook
Photographer
thelook
Alan_Jay
Hi Tina, Confidence is a funny thing,  the more you have, the more you get!  The other funny thing is that most of us start off with little confidence and then as we do more,  we gain confidence.   When you see those stunning girls,  why not think from a different perspective and ask yourself why not me?  Physically you can hold your own with the best of them,  you are very attractive. As mentioned already,  the best models are those who have the right attitude.  Not being confident about your looks etc.,  is not unusual in the modelling world,  especially when starting out.  Almost all of us think we are not as good looking as the 'others',  and almost all of us are wrong. My advice differs from many,  I'd suggest that you do not try and get great photos initially.  Nor would I suggest giving one shoot a go.  Try several shoots,  preferably with photographers who are willing to direct/coach you and explain how to pose etc.  Just relax and don't be at all scared to try lots of ideas, lots of poses and even silly expressions.  Some will work,  others may fail spectacularly.  It doesn't matter,  just have fun and see how those ideas suit you. As you become more used to having a camera pointed at you,  you will relax more;  as you relax more you will get a little more confident;  as you get more confident,  you will relax more and the images will slowly start to reveal the real you.  You'll start to understand how to pose and relax, that's when the confidence starts to really build. Don't even think about 'success rates',  at first you'll maybe get 1 in a 100 or 1 in a 1000 really good images,  so what?  That is just a starting point and you'll gradually get better results.
+1
Posted 13 Aug 2014
DavidPaul
Photographer
DavidPaul
You won't know till you try. Just find a photographer who will do a TF shoot and have a go. Incidentaally, you don't need a professional photographer to get good photos. Just check out the portfolios of amateur photopgraphers that suit your levels / location, find one with good photos, and have a go.

Posted 13 Aug 2014
Hi Tina - my best advice is just have a go and if you enjoy your first shoot and get good images then go for it! it can be a bit daunting the world of internet modelling as most people think that modelling is all done via agencies but these days it's really not! It can be confusing and daunting starting out not knowing what's going on so if you need a model to talk to/ask questions then drop me a message xx
Posted 13 Aug 2014
mr_mick
Photographer
mr_mick
I would be happy to work with you if youcwant to give it a try.

Posted 13 Aug 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
mr_mick

I would be happy to work with you if youcwant to give it a try.

Seems like a good offer to me from Mr Mick. Some nice pics in his portfolio featuring established models so plenty of opportunity to chat with them in advance to get a heads-up about how he works. That'll give you great confidence going into your first shoot I'm sure.
Posted 13 Aug 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join