First ever art nude shoot.

First ever art nude shoot.

14 posts
7 Aug 2014
kt101
Photographer
kt101
Hi Folks.
Had my first ever artistic nude shoot with the delightful Lottie.
I would like some oppinions on the shots.
All three are on my port as I have no idea how to get the shots onto here.
Honesty is always the best policy as far as I am concerned so please be ruthless.
I want to get better at this so need to find out where I am going wrong if I am.
Many thanks in advance.

Posted 7 Aug 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
My personal preference is for a more contrasty style of lighting for nudes rather than the near equal illumination you have from each side in these. Nevertheless the tones are pleasing. Maybe try an up-close single strip light with grid attached for something moodier next time just to add some variety?

How are your ears doing? Mine are still in recovery following my last shoot with Lottie wink
Posted 7 Aug 2014
Bob
Photographer
Bob
marlhamphoto

My personal preference is for a more contrasty style of lighting for nudes rather than the near equal illumination you have from each side in these. Nevertheless the tones are pleasing. Maybe try an up-close single strip light with grid attached for something moodier next time just to add some variety?

+1 ... but instead of a strip light I try to use a single very bright circular light source positioned about eight and a half minutes away.

Model: Lottie21

As for the ear problem, I solved it by climbing up a bell tower and letting Lottie chat to the terracotta
Posted 8 Aug 2014
Edited by Bob 8 Aug 2014
kt101
Photographer
kt101
Thanks guys. Every little helps as the saying goes. I don't remember having ear problems with Lottie. A very pleasant young lady to work with. Especially as she had to put up with me.
Posted 8 Aug 2014
Hmm excuse me I do not hurt anyones ear meanies!
Posted 8 Aug 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Lottie21

Hehe. And they say models don't pay any attention to the forums!

You know we love you really
Posted 8 Aug 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 8 Aug 2014
inspired
Photographer
inspired
agree with the above Keith.....shadows (in the right places) are your friend in this genre.....much more contrast next time
Posted 29 Aug 2014
chrisstubbs67
Photographer
chrisstubbs67
This is my opinion, my opinion is mine, may be wrong and may change at a moment’s notice without warning.

Art nudes, Black and white (tick), model in an odd position (tick), model is not looking at the camera (tick) - well there are the elements of an art nude,
The first image I see is the model sitting facing away from me with legs apart and hands on the floor....
Image is very symmetrical except there is a tattoo on one leg, also she is wearing rings but on the middle finger on one hand and the wedding finger on the other. I am distracted by the shadows, and the fact that I can see the point in the background where it meets and starts to go up the wall.
The image is quite mid-toned, my personal preference would be something more contrasty maybe not on the girl, but I would have at least blackened out the background.
My advice would be to watch for and have the model remove the rings, I’ve had the same problem when after a shoot when I’m looking through images I suddenly notice ankle chains and necklaces I didn’t see during the shoot itself. And airbrush out the tat for a more pure image.

The second image with the model kneeling and I’m again distracted by the tat on her leg as it breaks the line, the same issue with the ring , but the picture is so well shot I don’t mind the fact that I can see where the backdrop meets the wall as the pattern sort of works in tandem with the image shape, I really like this picture, the lighting is great, the pose is perfect, and the framing is good.

The third images the same story, lose the ring and the tat on her leg, but now there are wrinkles from her positioning on her hips and shoulders, I wouldn’t remove them altogether, but tone them down in photoshop so they don’t look severe, other than that I like the image, the pose is brilliant and the lighting is great.

This is my opinion, my opinion is mine, may be wrong and may change at a moment’s notice without warning.

Posted 31 Aug 2014
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Right, have deliberately not read the other responses so they do not influence me. I will read them after I have posted.

Basically there is nothing wrong with these three images. 'Nothing wrong', though is faint praise. It implies an absence of excitement or dynamism. All three are nicely lit,decently composed and safe. I like the play of light on the background. I like the simplicity of the skin tones. For my taste and I emphasise TASTE, they could be improved with a little more contrast but that is purely subjective. There will be others on here who may even like LESS contrast. I will not argue with them, each to his own.

For a first effort I think you should be very pleased with these.

Posted 1 Sep 2014
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Lottie21

Then you are not trying hard enough! 
Posted 1 Sep 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
JeromeRazoir

Then you are not trying hard enough! 

Please don't encourage her, I'll be seeing her on Thursday
Posted 1 Sep 2014
BTL
Photographer
BTL
They look really good! I love the tonality you got out of the black and white. Really fine job.

I read in your bio that you started in 2009 and shoot infrequently, but you want to get better and are a perfectionist. I think the best thing you could do for yourself is to shoot more, as much as you can really. Your eye and technique will develop leaps and bounds. For shots like these, your technique needs to be impeccable.

The composition of the first one (and the other 2 to a lesser degree) with the girl's back to us, is a little cramped for my taste. The clean tones of the model and the form of her body against the background work so well that the tattoos and rings almost take away from that. Also some anomalies on the backdrop could be corrected. Attention to detail is so important. Also, post production work makes a BIG difference in the quality of photos. These photos look good already, but you can always get better. Make sure you're learning and improving in your Photoshop skills along the way.

Keep shooting, and keep up the great work.

Posted 10 Sep 2014
kt101
Photographer
kt101
Firstly, thank you all for your input.
I am happy with the shots myself and as a first effort I thought I hadn't done bad.
I can see where I am going wrong now so it will be back to the drawing board and try again.
But this time more contrast and less light.

Thanks again.

Posted 15 Sep 2014
fredphoto
Photographer
fredphoto
To be concise and brutally honest....I love your look!

I wish you were in Virginia, I'd love to work with you, you have the kind of face and physique that I look for in an artistic nude model. I'd love to see more of your work!

Cheers, Fred

Posted 8 Dec 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join