(but Purestorm isn't.)"> Web sites in China blocked (but Purest...

Web sites in China blocked (but Purestorm isn't.)

13 posts
7 Aug 2014
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Yay! this isn't one of them, Not yet anyway though it would be because of the content on it. Quite a lot of very attractive women in the city but I've not got the bottle to ask. could be good for street photography, But might attract the armed to the teeth police, ours have little sticks and pepper spray they have automatic rifles.

Posted 7 Aug 2014
Bob
Photographer
Bob
paulford

might attract the armed to the teeth police, ours have little sticks and pepper spray they have automatic rifles.

And they know how to use those rifles, as I witnessed three months back. Chinese Police teams, including the legendary Snow Leopards, swept the board at the international 'Special Operations Olympics' contest in Jordan.

Images © Bob Morrison
Posted 7 Aug 2014
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
Doncaster been moved to China?

Posted 7 Aug 2014
paulford
Photographer
paulford
No I moved there for a week, Was frantically searching web sites that I could get on and understand! thought this one would be firewalled big style.

Posted 9 Aug 2014
MaoZhu
Photographer
MaoZhu
I lived and worked in China for a year in 2000/ 2001, I never had one problem, I took many street photographs including in Tienanmen square. In all the time I was there I was not stopped or asked what I was doing by any policeman. My impression was that a lot of peoples perception about China is wrong.

Posted 10 Aug 2014
Edited by MaoZhu 10 Aug 2014
paulford
Photographer
paulford
MaoZhu
I lived and worked in China for a year in 2000/ 2001, I never had one problem, I took many street photographs including in Tienanmen square. In all the time I was there I was not stopped or asked what I was doing by any policeman. My impression was that a lot of peoples perception about China is wrong.
No problem with me either police seemed ok very very strict with security going into Tian'anmen square though, metal detectors over your body and bags through X-ray machines.
Posted 10 Aug 2014
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
MaoZhu
That is right which brings me back to this video shot by a Guardian journalist 5 years ago. If you film footages like this in London you be lucky not to be stopped after a couple of minutes http://vimeo.com/2327058 I recall a BBC journalist in China who often wrote about strict policing there then one day he complains about "a great deal of lawlessness in China". So which is it BBC man?
Posted 10 Aug 2014
Edited by Chandos 10 Aug 2014
gaffer
Photographer
gaffer
I live in China part of the year and will be back again next month. I don't do street photography, mostly travel/landscapes for blogs etc., so maybe I'm considered harmless, because in the last 7 years I've had no problems being stopped. However, last week Dropbox was blocked which is a pain as I use it regularly, so I'm surprised that Purestorm is escaping ..... give 'em time.

Posted 11 Aug 2014
China did a UTube video of me last year...didn't ask me, they just did it...

Got of World wide exposure because of this story...lol...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgD4jgrTGyA&sns=em
Posted 12 Aug 2014
gaffer
Photographer
gaffer
It's surprising how many Chinese YouTube clips there are considering that YouTube is blocked in mainland China...and Facebook...and Twitter. (unless you use a VPN). I guess they come from Hong Kong or Macau.
Posted 12 Aug 2014
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
Youtube, twitter and Facebook are partly blocked in Mainland China because of the government want some control of contents but also partly because for business reasons by offering rival Chinese service to replace these such as Tencent QQ, Weibo, Renren, Youku.

Posted 12 Aug 2014
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
SuzyMonty
China did a UTube video of me last year...didn't ask me, they just did it... Got of World wide exposure because of this story...lol... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgD4jgrTGyA&sns=em
Your video news may have been originated from HK not because it is in Cantonese but it has the HK accent. The funny thing was when they describe you coming out of retirement at 50 they milked it a bit and make it sound like an old kung fu master remerged into the world of fighters
Posted 12 Aug 2014
Edited by Chandos 12 Aug 2014
Chandos

Your video news may have been originated from HK not because it is in Cantonese but it has the HK accent. The funny thing was when they describe you coming out of retirement at 50 they milked it a bit and make it sound like an old kung fu master remerged into the world of fighters

The ironical thing is, I didn't come out of retirement until the age of 57...all due to the Helen Mirren bikini picture making headlines at the time...a national newspaper sent one of their photographers to picture me on a Cornish beach wearing my bikini, which was subsequenbtly published and set the modelling ball rolling again, as it were.

At the age of 50 I was editor of a Parish Magazine (even got to interview Uri Geller for a special issue)  and modelling was the last thing on my mind...

I first retired at 40, due to a very bad dose of Glandular Fever - gave up modelling and my then, fully licenced model agency and didn't expect to return to the former...ever
So, it's all been rather a bonus, still modelling. I pick and choose what jobs I want to do...no fighting. I try and help newbie models that message me...am a very passive sort of person lol... frown

It's nice that mature models get more of a look in these days, as in my early modelling days, even being 25 was considered old...

Posted 12 Aug 2014
Edited by SuzyMonty 14 Aug 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join