ebay and paypal payments ?

ebay and paypal payments ?

12 posts
2 Aug 2014
photostore
Photographer
photostore
so, all of a sudden without ever having set anything myself, all purchases i make on ebay it now pays without first taking me to the paypal screen that asks for my password, i'd like to re set it to ask everytime. Any ideas (please dont reply "ask ebay or paypal" i have done that but talk about slow to respond !
Posted 2 Aug 2014
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
That doesn't sound right, eBay and PayPal shouldn't be linked like that

[edit] and then log into ebay and change your password there too

Posted 3 Aug 2014
Edited by cgwebster 3 Aug 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
PayPal is owned by eBay so they have made some changes to make paying easier.

Doing the password reset on PayPal should work.

Posted 3 Aug 2014
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
I'm pretty sure I read something, a few months ago, about advice to change PayPal passwords.

Posted 3 Aug 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
On a computer or on a phone/tablet app ?

Posted 3 Aug 2014
Edited by stolenfaces 3 Aug 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
cgwebster

That doesn't sound right, eBay and PayPal shouldn't be linked like that

To my knowledge eBay and PayPal can indeed be linked (as Howard says, they're part of the same company).

Posted 3 Aug 2014
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Often the completion of a purchase via Paypal is via a intergrated page with paypal details on the right of the Ebay page, It will ask to complete the purchase but not always will it need the paypal password. I think if you place things in the basket it alters the checkout process. Either way I've not had problems providing you check the web address and make sure you are still on a Ebay page, there have been some fake Ebay pages.

Posted 3 Aug 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
dominicdgt
Often the completion of a purchase via Paypal is via a intergrated page with paypal details on the right of the Ebay page, It will ask to complete the purchase but not always will it need the paypal password. I think if you place things in the basket it alters the checkout process. Either way I've not had problems providing you check the web address and make sure you are still on a Ebay page, there have been some fake Ebay pages.
But it works differently on apps. The apps offer to integrate payment at the touch of a button, because (like most apps) they assume that people want something which is easy to use even when the user is on EE (intermittent signal due to mast cutbacks) and have had a skinfull (intermittent brain). And, to be fair, it is normal for people to pay with paypal so integrating their two services is actually safer for the person making the purchase/payment.
Posted 3 Aug 2014
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
stolenfaces
But it works differently on apps. The apps offer to integrate payment at the touch of a button, because (like most apps) they assume that people want something which is easy to use even when the user is on EE (intermittent signal due to mast cutbacks) and have had a skinfull (intermittent brain). And, to be fair, it is normal for people to pay with paypal so integrating their two services is actually safer for the person making the purchase/payment.
I've absolutely no idea how this relates to my thoughts on how it works for me sometimes?
Posted 3 Aug 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
dominicdgt
I've absolutely no idea how this relates to my thoughts on how it works for me sometimes?
It works quite differently (with different opportunities for auto integration) on ios/android apps than on computers. So it is useful when telling how it works for you to specify the circumstances of your use. As the OP doesn't specify I would guess he is using an app which is why his experience is different to yours.
Posted 3 Aug 2014
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Hi all, thanks for the responses (ebay or paypal have still not reponded over a day later !)
i am on a pc, and yes i heard of the need to change ebay passwords and did so immediately when the news broke.
I understand it's easier but i prefer to be in control of the payment process

So the answer is to change the paypal password and that should break the link, but what if it just reinstates it again after my next purchase ?

Posted 3 Aug 2014
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
You could try to turn on 'two factor security' in Paypal. I have Paypal send me an SMS code which I then enter to proceed.

This might put in that extra security step you're looking for.

Posted 3 Aug 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join