Photoshop cc or Photoshop Elements ?

Photoshop cc or Photoshop Elements ?

29 posts
24 July 2014
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
I use Photoshop Elements and wonder what it is about Photoshop cc that makes it worth the extra money ?

I have looked on the internet and see that Photoshop cc is apparently for professionals but in terms of photo image processing I can't understand the difference.

Can some-one please, as simply as possible, explain to me what Photoshop cc does that Photoshop elements doesn't  and why it is worth the extra money ?

I hope that this makes sense and thank you for any information you can give.

Jonathan.

Posted 24 July 2014
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photogra..
Have a look at this link

http://prodesigntools.com/difference-between-photoshop-vs-extended-vs-elements-vs-lightroom.html

Scroll down to "Compare Photoshop CS6 vs. Photoshop Elements 11".

Posted 24 July 2014
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
PHP_Photography

Have a look at this link http://prodesigntools.com/difference-between-photoshop-vs-extended-vs-elements-vs-lightroom.html Scroll down to "Compare Photoshop CS6 vs. Photoshop Elements 11".

Thank you - a very interesting article. The problem is that it isn't written in simple enough terms for me - to much jargon.

Perhaps I will have a 30 day trial and 'see what's what'.

Posted 24 July 2014
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
I am not the best person to advise as I only scratch the surface of PS.

I started with elements a few years ago but only used a little before taking advantage of an upgrade to CS3. Recent additions to CS (4,5, 6 & CC) have improved it significantly. One of the things I really like introduced in CS5 I think but enhanced is content aware for cloning and other tools.

Personally I don't think you can really compare elements & full blown PS (but I can't remember much of elements)

Lightroom has improved over the years and for cropping/ tweaking levels and basic spot removal etc is sufficient for some shots. I haven't followed the link to see how elements & LR compare but certainly for many landscapes etc I do find LR sufficient

The LR & PS CC bundle is a good deal if you were used to getting regular updates but only you can decide

As I say only scratch the surface of PS CC - others would be best giving a more rounded view.

Posted 24 July 2014
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
nige_nw

I am not the best person to advise as I only scratch the surface of PS. I started with elements a few years ago but only used a little before taking advantage of an upgrade to CS3. Recent additions to CS (4,5, 6 & CC) have improved it significantly. One of the things I really like introduced in CS5 I think but enhanced is content aware for cloning and other tools. Personally I don't think you can really compare elements & full blown PS (but I can't remember much of elements) Lightroom has improved over the years and for cropping/ tweaking levels and basic spot removal etc is sufficient for some shots. I haven't followed the link to see how elements & LR compare but certainly for many landscapes etc I do find LR sufficient The LR & PS CC bundle is a good deal if you were used to getting regular updates but only you can decide As I say only scratch the surface of PS CC - others would be best giving a more rounded view.

Thanks - I still don't understand what all the fuss is about Photoshop cc though ?   There must be many things which are better than Elements surely for the price  ???

You mentioned 'other tools' - I wonder what they are  / can do etc ?

Posted 24 July 2014
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
SandyCamel

Thanks - I still don't understand what all the fuss is about Photoshop cc though ?   There must be many things which are better than Elements surely for the price  ???

You mentioned 'other tools' - I wonder what they are  / can do etc ?

I think the problem is that full blown photoshop & elemnts are actually signficantly different that it is to a degree difficult to know where to start - as I say I have limited knowledge of PS so not best to explain but I know I did not look back to elements.

IIRC some major differences are use of layers  (& associated ways of combining them) & things like frequency separation

For the other tools I was referring to Patch tool & healing brush amongst others. IIRC elements does not have the patch tool but I could be wrong. There are lots of different tools in full blown PS. 
Posted 24 July 2014
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
SandyCamel
The problem is that it isn't written in simple enough terms for me...
The you want Elements - and I'm not being sarcastic. Full blown Photoshop is a bastard to learn. It's only worth the money if you're going to use it. http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-differences-photoshop-photoshop.html https://forums.adobe.com/message/4568487
Posted 24 July 2014
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Hugh

The you want Elements - and I'm not being sarcastic. Full blown Photoshop is a bastard to learn. It's only worth the money if you're going to use it. http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-differences-photoshop-photoshop.html https://forums.adobe.com/message/4568487

That's okay Huge, I see what you mean. I am unsure about that though. I haven't really explained very well I think.  It may be difficult to learn but like most people I can do most things given enough practice and motivation.  It is the motivation part perhaps, involving knowing what you can additionally use it for that eludes me.

However, your first link is really good and explains one part of it really well with (almost) plain English links. Thank you for providing that !

I couldn't see the second link as I am not presently a member of the 'Adobe Community'.

I will have a go then and trial it for 30 days.

Thanks very much again then Huge.
Posted 25 July 2014
Edited by SandyCamel 25 July 2014
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
You'll want this...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photoshop-Photographers-professional-Macintosh/dp/0415711754/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1406275897&sr=8-31

Posted 25 July 2014
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Hugh

You'll want this... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photoshop-Photographers-professional-Macintosh/dp/0415711754/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1406275897&sr=8-31

Brilliant ! Thanks again Hugh.

Posted 25 July 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Get the 30 day free trial of both CC2014 and LR5......you might be better off with Elements and LR5 in the end.

Posted 25 July 2014
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
anthonyh

Get the 30 day free trial of both CC2014 and LR5......you might be better off with Elements and LR5 in the end.

Thanks - I use elements and LR5 at the moment - the offer on Adobe for both looks pretty good maybe ?

I have just downloaded the 30 day trial version of Photoshop cc - and just opened it - it looks like a big elements to me lol !

Oh, any reason you think Elements may be better I wonder ?

Posted 25 July 2014
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
If you want to do a lot of quite high end editing and 'Photoshop Art' lots of elaborate montages, composites etc, then Photoshop, but if you don't want to do a lot to images, adjustments, tidy up and such then probably Elements. I know several successful wedding and commercial photographers who just use Lightroom and Elements.

Posted 25 July 2014
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
I do most of my "editing" in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) - which is amazing.
You can get that with LR5 or PSCC - so it might be cheaper to get LR5 and PS Elements.

I have PS CS6, and have had CS4 and 5 before it - but I probably won't upgrade to PSCC.

Posted 25 July 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
When I used elements for a while (version 9 I think)... the biggest loss to me was that actions could't be assigned to keys, there were other rather arbitrary things which didn't work and it was fairly liable to crashing (and losing desktop/panels settings).
The modes were pretty limited, particularly you can't edit in CMYK which may be necessary for some pre-press work.

If you're a photographer who just tidies up photos on the computer you probably won't find yourself short of much in Elements. If you need to spend hours editing each picture you may find a few limitations with not having the full photoshop.

Posted 25 July 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join