Whats the maximum memory card size for Canon 5D (mk1)?

Whats the maximum memory card size for Canon 5D (mk1)?

12 posts
19 July 2014
Desova
Photographer
Desova
Can anyone remember the maximum memory card size for the original 5D? I know 16Gb works but I don't think I tried 32Gb so don't want to risk buying any.

Where do people get memory cards cheapest from now? More interested in capacity/reliability than speed as I'm not a fast shooter.
Posted 19 July 2014
lester2705
Photographer
lester2705
I have used a 32gb in mine if thats any help

Posted 19 July 2014
pontius584
Photographer
pontius584
I use 32gb cards in my 5D mk1 with no problem.

Posted 19 July 2014
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
www.7dayshop.com seems consistently to be the lowest price. Cannot tell the differnce between brands or own label. May be more obvious with video. Class 10 seems to be Class 10 whoever makes or markets them.

Posted 19 July 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
Desova
Can anyone remember the maximum memory card size for the original 5D? I know 16Gb works but I don't think I tried 32Gb so don't want to risk buying any. Where do people get memory cards cheapest from now? More interested in capacity/reliability than speed as I'm not a fast shooter.
I used 32GB as standard in my original 5d, with no problems at all. I believe it can even take a 256 or more. I buy very fast SD cards now and use them with cheap SD to CF flash adaptors from Amazon. They work reliably and cost about quarter of the price of the equivalent CF of the same capacity and speed.
Posted 19 July 2014
Desova
Photographer
Desova
Thanks guys. 32GB It is then.

Bill - I hadn't considered that, I take it it's pretty reliable?

Posted 19 July 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
It seems to be. I have been using a 64GB SD and adaptor in my 5DII with no problems.

Posted 19 July 2014
Edited by Bill_M 19 July 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Bill_M
It seems to be. I have been using a 64GB SD and adaptor in my 5DII with no problems.
The OP is referring to the 5D mk1, it may be that the mk2 supports protocols that enable reliable operation with converters (eg. like UDMA) but there's no guarantee the mk1 will do the same.
Posted 19 July 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
I'll get my Mk1 out of the cupboard and test it. I think it should be backwards compatible to work with both.

Posted 20 July 2014
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Appreciate its personal choice but why use such large capacity cards in a 5D MK1? Even in my 5DMK3 I only use 8GB or 16GB cards - they are now so cheap it just isn't worth the risk of a corrupt card or even losing a single card with an entire days shooting on it - spread it over 3 or 4 cards.

Posted 20 July 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
eosfan

Appreciate its personal choice but why use such large capacity cards in a 5D MK1? Even in my 5DMK3 I only use 8GB or 16GB cards - they are now so cheap it just isn't worth the risk of a corrupt card or even losing a single card with an entire days shooting on it - spread it over 3 or 4 cards.

One school of thought is concerned about wear/tear on the contact pins, so larger cards mean less card swaps.  Certainly I've heard of people who've suffered bent pins inside the camera.
Posted 20 July 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
eosfan
Many small cards have probably greater risk of corruption (as well as the risk of losing your card) than a large one. Also their is more wear and tear on the contact pins.
Posted 20 July 2014
Edited by Bill_M 20 July 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join