new to modelling

18 posts
9 July 2014
Hi Ive been asked to do an underwear shoot for someone and he has said he will pay me, what are my rates? Could anyone help me as id have no idea how much i should roughly charge, or how.to work it out. Does it depend on how long the shoot for or how many outfits etc. Thanks
Posted 9 July 2014
djb1
Photographer
djb1
PetiteKelly
Hi Ive been asked to do an underwear shoot for someone and he has said he will pay me, what are my rates? Could anyone help me as id have no idea how much i should roughly charge, or how.to work it out. Does it depend on how long the shoot for or how many outfits etc. Thanks
Go for an hourly rate plus travel costs if travel is involved. I would suggest £40 as an hourly rate and negotiate on that basis. Don(djb1)
Posted 9 July 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
djb1

Go for an hourly rate plus travel costs if travel is involved. I would suggest £40 as an hourly rate and negotiate on that basis. Don(djb1)

£40 an hour for a novice?  Really!?

That's high even for established models with experience, if only shooting lingerie.

£20-25 would be more in line with what other models charge (although there's still the uncertainty of the OP's confidence during shoots being new to this).

Posted 9 July 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
RedChecker

£40 an hour for a novice?  Really!?

That's high even for established models with experience, if only shooting lingerie.

£20-25 would be more in line with what other models charge (although there's still the uncertainty of the OP's confidence during shoots being new to this).

+1  That sort of fantasy rate does no-one, least of all the model any favours!
Posted 9 July 2014
Ok thanks everyone x

Posted 9 July 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
You might want to consider whether the photographer is likely to produce reasonable pictures which would benefit your portfolio.... and if he is likely to, ask if he will give you some photos in exchange for the best/cheaper rates [sometimes referred to as 'part paid'].
If the shoot is amateur I would have thought you would be better to suggest something like £10- £15 per hour + some photos (and if appropriate, travel expenses). If the shots were for publication I would expect the photographer to have made you an offer based on his budget.

You should also consider how far you have to travel, how long he wants to book and how keen you are to work with the particular photographer.

Posted 9 July 2014
Edited by stolenfaces 9 July 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
In my experience £25-£30 an hour plus travel expenses is a typical rate for nude less a small discount for half or full day bookings . I'd pay a similar amount for lingerie (or perhaps even a little more) BUT ONLY if the model had the figure for it (at least a C cup) AND she had elegant and stylish lingerie available to shoot in. Primark or Ann Summers etc wouldn't cut it for me. A lack of modelling experience wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

As you're new to modelling it's perhaps worth mentioning that references left on a photographer's profile (on this site or others) should not be taken at face value. ALWAYS contact two or three of the models a photographer has worked with directly in order to obtain private feedback about the photographer and how the shoot went. Whilst 90% of photographers are sincere and respectful some aren't - even though their public refernces might suggest that they are. If private references cannot be taken up then the best plan would be to only work with him if the shoot takes place in a commercial studio which he has booked.

Good luck
Posted 9 July 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 9 July 2014
Pict
Photographer
Pict
PetiteKelly
Ive already sent you a pm but please make sure its someone you can trust.
Posted 9 July 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
One other thing. Understandably new models can become a bag of nerves as the shoot date approaches and might resort to cancelling or even a no show. Obviously the photographer has committed his time and often money (eg studio fees) and so that can be frustrating. So only confirm a booking if you have every intention of turning up. If you have any concerns about your resolve be honest and discuss them with the photographer so that he is at least aware of them. Most will do their best to accommodate you if they can. Models who prove unreliable, or uncommunicative if they encounter a problem, quickly acquire a bad reputation which can be a bugger to shake off.

Posted 9 July 2014
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
djb1
Considering every model I've ever worked with has done full nude up to adult for 40 or less, your suggestion borders on the insane. OP. Given you are so new, have no real port or experience I'd suggest being wary of any photographer who'll pay you above market average for anything.
Posted 9 July 2014
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
PetiteKelly

Another possible option to consider.... 

Ask him what his budget for the shoot is and how much he is offering to pay you.  Then you can either negotiate or decide if it's worth doing or not.

Best regards
Paul
Posted 9 July 2014
djb1
Photographer
djb1
Socialdisaster
Considering every model I've ever worked with has done full nude up to adult for 40 or less, your suggestion borders on the insane. OP. Given you are so new, have no real port or experience I'd suggest being wary of any photographer who'll pay you above market average for anything.
I did give £40 as a rate to negotiate on then it would,of course, be up to the photographer to agree terms or not. Don.(djb1)
Posted 9 July 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
djb1

I did give £40 as a rate to negotiate on then it would,of course, be up to the photographer to agree terms or not. Don.(djb1)

I'd wager than 99% of photographers will just pass her by at those rates.  Nobody in their right mind handing over money for a shoot wants the potential agro associated with 'dreamers' (I personally can't be arsed with haggling as I find it awkward, I'd rather just see a price and decide there/then if I'm willing to pay).
Posted 9 July 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
RedChecker

I'd wager than 99% of photographers will just pass her by at those rates.  Nobody in their right mind handing over money for a shoot wants the potential agro associated with 'dreamers' (I personally can't be arsed with haggling as I find it awkward, I'd rather just see a price and decide there/then if I'm willing to pay).

I agree. As soon as a model asks for a rate which significantly exceeds the market she gets labelled as expensive/deluded and is thereafter automatically overlooked when it comes to finding a model. Again it's a reputation which is hard to shake off once acquired.
Posted 9 July 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 9 July 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
marlhamphoto

I agree. As soon as a model asks for a rate which significantly exceeds the market she gets labelled as expensive/deluded and is thereafter automatically overlooked when it comes to finding a model. Again it's a reputation which is hard to shake off once acquired.

Which is doubly unfortunate if the poor girl does so because of bad advice here!  laugh
Posted 9 July 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join