Wifi Routers getting clogged up.

Wifi Routers getting clogged up.

8 posts
8 July 2014
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
I have a Netgear router.
It is left permanently on. My Ipad finds it very quickly for a period of time but after two or three weeks it gets slower and slower to find.
If I turn the router off at the mains, then turn on again after a little rest it becomes sprightly again.
Do Routers become blocked up and constipated? Is it good practice to turn off occasionally?
Posted 8 July 2014
MLP
Photographer
MLP
Turning on/off will re-boost the connection of the router with the server - I do this on a regular basis so see no problem in what you are doing
Posted 8 July 2014
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
in most locations I support we have a timer on the router to power cycle it overnight.... sorts out lots of little problems...especially on mondays! so no there not blocked but yes they do "slow down"....

Posted 8 July 2014
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
RupertRudd
I have a Netgear router. It is left permanently on. My Ipad finds it very quickly for a period of time but after two or three weeks it gets slower and slower to find. If I turn the router off at the mains, then turn on again after a little rest it becomes sprightly again. Do Routers become blocked up and constipated? Is it good practice to turn off occasionally?
Not really normal, but normal for some vendors products - it indicates there is an issue with the firmware and/or the chipset. I ditched a netgear router a few months ago because of intermittent wireless issues and installed a an ASUS AC66 and that is rock solid. (Although have now probably hexed the damn thing by writing this)
Posted 8 July 2014
Edited by cgwebster 8 July 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
My iPad's often flakey but my other wireless machines & devices (I've got ~15-20) don't have a problem.

One thing could be the wireless channel is getting inteference from the neighbors. I seem to recall when you switch on a wireless device it cycles through the channel numbers on startup to find the least noisy/populated. It may simply be that other people in your area have also got the same channel selected, and by rebooting you're effectively picking a fresh one.

Either way, it's not too much hardship so why worry (I've always had to do it to mine on occasion, usually every week or two).

Posted 8 July 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
I had a similar problem with a Netgear router a couple of years ago which left me scratching my head for a bit. Installing the latest firmware fixed it.

Posted 8 July 2014
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
I had a wifi curiosity recently with slow connection, sporadic service and frequent drop-out. This coincided with BT's well-publicised problems with their wifi so I thought nothing about it until it persisted into several days and became annoying.

I switched the router off and on, disconnected unneccessary things, uninstalled browsers, ran virus checks, had another cup of tea - all the usual things - and finally tracked the problem down to my new wireless mouse which was turning out to be a bit of a rat.

Back on a cable, I've all the broadband a girl could want.

Posted 8 July 2014
Edited by w4pictures 8 July 2014
Tim
Model
Tim
marlhamphoto

I had a similar problem with a Netgear router a couple of years ago which left me scratching my head for a bit. Installing the latest firmware fixed it.

I've also come across this before, it might be worth checking if your router has a firmware update available.
Posted 12 July 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join