why i tend to post to the other place and what can i do to change that...

why i tend to post to the other place and what can i do to change that?

92 posts
6 July 2014
CLIC_Photography
Photographer
CLIC_Photography
ok, first of all i'm not here to knock PS - i've been a paying member for some time now, nor am i here to promote the other place.

So here's my dilemma, i'll just say i'm not chasing 'likes' - i can post on facebook for that, but as an example i posted a new pic on the other place less than 48 hours ago. 45 people have 'loved' the image, 9 people have taken the time to leave feedback. 4 people have added me to a 'want to work with you' list. The pic has been featured in a 'most viewed' gallery which helps get my work seen. i know some of this is just food for the ego but it's also good exposure and networking.

If i now go and post the same pic on here i know exactly what will happen - absolutely nothing! I know because this has happened to the last 5 pics i posted. They are of a reasonable standard but i would be very happy to get criticism if it was constructive, that's how we grow isn't it, but nothing.

So where am i likely to post my next pic? it's obvious really isn't it.

As i say, this is NOT PS bashing, i want to post here, i want feedback and networking, so what can i do to change things? I expect i'll be advised to be more active in the forums etc, but i hardly post on forums over there either.

very interested to hear your thoughts.

david

Posted 6 July 2014
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
You post and invest the most effort where you get the most back? Success breeds success and you invest where it will be of benefit? That is what encourages innovation and change in model sites as paying customers is what makes them worth all the effort in developing the site. Those that can't or wont adapt and evolve will lose out to those that do

Posted 6 July 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
If you're chasing views and comments I understand that places like ZENFOLIO will get you millions so long as there's at least a hint of nudity in the images.

If you're craving worthwhile feedback in order to improve then don't make the mistake of assuming that views, likes, comments and 'want to work withs' amount to the same thing. What you need to realise is that most of that guff is produced by people fawning over the model rather than the quality of your photography.

Posted 6 July 2014
CLIC_Photography
Photographer
CLIC_Photography
Gerry99111
You post and invest the most effort where you get the most back? Success breeds success and you invest where it will be of benefit? That is what encourages innovation and change in model sites as paying customers is what makes them worth all the effort in developing the site. Those that can't or wont adapt and evolve will lose out to those that do
Yes gerry, that is indeed what is happening in my case, i just wondered if i could do anything to harbour more interaction on here. I really don't want to give up on PS but some evolution is needed i feel.
Posted 6 July 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
[qt][author]marlhamphoto[/author] ................. don't make the mistake of assuming that views, likes, comments and 'want to work withs' amount to the same thing. What you need to realise is that most of that guff is produced by people fawning over the model rather than the quality of your photography.[/qt] +1! You don't often see an FPI of a less than attractive model - and sadly there is no shortage of people "liking" images where their own portfolios indicate that you would be happier if they hadn't!
Posted 6 July 2014
CLIC_Photography
Photographer
CLIC_Photography
marlhamphoto
If you're chasing views and comments I understand that places like ZENFOLIO will get you millions so long as there's at least a hint of nudity in the images. If you're craving worthwhile feedback in order to improve then don't make the mistake of assuming that views, likes, comments and 'want to work withs' amount to the same thing. What you need to realise is that most of that guff is produced by people fawning over the model rather than the quality of your photography.
i promise i haven't made the mistake of assuming those things amount to the same thing as worthwhile feedback. However, If i get a 'want to work with you' notice then i have successfully networked with a model that otherwise may never have been on my radar. I can choose whether i want to work with them and it may lead to a fruitful, ongoing relationship, or it may not. As long as i am able to discern what's worthwhile and meaningful from amongst the 'guff' (and i am), then the guff is surely better than what i am getting on PS - nothing. maybe you can advise how i may get some guff on PS?
Posted 6 July 2014
jivago
Photographer
jivago
CLIC_Photography

i promise i haven't made the mistake of assuming those things amount to the same thing as worthwhile feedback. However, If i get a 'want to work with you' notice then i have successfully networked with a model that otherwise may never have been on my radar. I can choose whether i want to work with them and it may lead to a fruitful, ongoing relationship, or it may not. As long as i am able to discern what's worthwhile and meaningful from amongst the 'guff' (and i am), then the guff is surely better than what i am getting on PS - nothing. maybe you can advise how i may get some guff on PS?

No Can't & won't - That guff (playground noise) has no interest to me.

Tw*tter maybe?

Posted 6 July 2014
CLIC_Photography
Photographer
CLIC_Photography
mph
You don't often see an FPI of a less than attractive model - and sadly there is no shortage of people "liking" images where their own portfolios indicate that you would be happier if they hadn't!
Maybe you would see more FPI's of 'less than attractive' models if people like yourself didn't have comments like this in your bio! " Attractive faces are a key part of my requirements"
Posted 6 July 2014
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
My last FPI was of a fox [the animal variety not a pretty female]
Posted 6 July 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Gerry99111

PLEASE tell me you're only kidding...
Posted 6 July 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 6 July 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
[qt][author]CLIC_Photography[/author] Maybe you would see more FPI's of 'less than attractive' models if people like yourself didn't have comments like this in your bio! " Attractive faces are a key part of my requirements"[/qt] As my intention was to point out it was faces rather than tits that were important in my model selection........................... But I wasn't complaining about attractive models being FPIs - merely pointing out that it did influence the selection..
Posted 6 July 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
Gerry99111

Good looking little beast though - proves my point! 

Posted 6 July 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
CLIC_Photography

As long as i am able to discern what's worthwhile and meaningful from amongst the 'guff' (and i am)...

OK then let's see what you make of each of the comments on your image here:

Starting from the top and working down, 1 through 9, which ones are guff and which ones aren't? In your opinion...

I assume this is the image you referred to in your OP even though it only has 44 loves (I assume somebody withdrew theirs) and although it has 9 comments one was your own.
Posted 6 July 2014
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
I think some people try to over complicate things. I just look at which site provides me opportunities to work with the models I most wish to on the best terms available and as painlessly and effectively as possible. There is one site that wins hands down at the moment
Posted 6 July 2014
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
I have also posted about the 'reticence' , on here, to make m/any comments etc. about images, just as an aside to the OP, how many times have you commented on other peoples images on here?
The 'other place' is entirely designed and 'tricked up' to be gushy, some might say hysterical' and a realm for desperate attention seekers, and kudos giving for being ' active', but obviously I wouldn't say that.
As has already been pointed out a raft of 'loves', ' stunnings' and 'awesomes' get applied ubiquitously, one person appears to comment on every single image - must have an app!
Returning to the question of commentary, as said I think more should be done here, I do try to comment, on here, don't expect any back- unlike the 'other place' and is "good image" or similar acceptable, instead of some non- meaning hyperbole?

Posted 6 July 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join