Hi Speed flash sync

13 posts
1 July 2014
gsphoto
Photographer
gsphoto
I remember last year reading about a unit to fit Nikon camera,s that allowed you to shoot above the normal 250th max sync speed using mains flash outdoors.
I can not for the life of me remember the make but remember a photographer testing it on a fashion shoot in Paris!
Does anyone remember or have any idea what i,m talking about?
Thanks in advance,
George.

Posted 1 July 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Pocket Wizard's TTL triggers can do this using their Hypersync function in two ways. 1 - to actually increase the genuine sync, although this is fully dependent on camera, triggers, lens and flash used and will also require lots of trial & error with setting it up. You may be unfortunate and not gain anything at all, or a best case scenario is that you may double it to around 1/500th. 2 - using it to replicate high speed sync (similar to how speedlites work). For this to work well you need a flash with a flat discharge curve so slower units like Bowens are excellent for this (fast ones like Profoto or Broncolor will likely produce an uneven exposure using this method).
Posted 1 July 2014
gsphoto
Photographer
gsphoto
Thank you,
Yes iv,e seen the Pocket Wizard as that's what comes up when i Google but its not the one i was thinking about.
I do remember him saying that he lost a little power due to the increase in sync speed!
Regards
George.

Posted 1 July 2014
Stibnite
Photographer
Stibnite
There was something from lencarta last year, can't lpaste a link as on my phone but googling lencarta and high speed flash may be the answer you seek

Posted 1 July 2014
BellPortraits
Photographer
BellPortraits
The Nikon speedlites SB600 and upwards will allow hi speed flash sync and can be used on or off camera. There ebooks on Amazon about the creative lighting system

Posted 1 July 2014
gsphoto
Photographer
gsphoto
There was something from lencarta last year, can't lpaste a link as on my phone but googling lencarta and high speed flash may be the answer you seek Thank you i,ll take a look The Nikon speedlites SB600 and upwards will allow hi speed flash sync and can be used on or off camera. There ebooks on Amazon about the creative lighting system I use SB800,s but they are not powerful enough for what i need, Thank you
Posted 1 July 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
gsphoto

I do remember him saying that he lost a little power due to the increase in sync speed! Regards George.

All high speed sync methods will loose power, be it taking a slice of the flash's output (the second point I made earlier) or by strobing the flash (as speedlites do).

There's no substitute for having a faster genuine sync speed which captures the full burst from a flash.
Posted 1 July 2014
Bayrunner
Photographer
Bayrunner
Stibnite

There was something from lencarta last year, can't lpaste a link as on my phone but googling lencarta and high speed flash may be the answer you seek

I think you mean the Mach 1N, but not sure if it is still available... Garry Edwards at Lencarta will tell you: Phone no on their website

Posted 2 July 2014
gsphoto
Photographer
gsphoto

I think you mean the Mach 1N, but not sure if it is still available... Garry Edwards at Lencarta will tell you: Phone no on their website

Thank you that sounds like the one i was reading about,
Regards
George.

Posted 2 July 2014
ImagoImagery
Photographer
ImagoImagery
these are the ones I use, work really well

#.U7R4tPldV8E">http://www.lightingrumours.com/feature-guide-to-the-yongnuo-yn-622-for-canon-2672#.U7R4tPldV8E
Posted 2 July 2014
Edited by ImagoImagery 2 July 2014
gsphoto
Photographer
gsphoto
Thank you i,ll take a look
Posted 2 July 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
ImagoImagery
these are the ones I use, work really well http://www.lightingrumours.com/feature-guide-to-the-yongnuo-yn-622-for-canon-2672#.U7R4tPldV8E
The Yongnuo 622 works really well, but will only do HSS if your flashgun is already so equipped. It will not do it with studio flash or non HSS flashguns.
Posted 3 July 2014
ImagoImagery
Photographer
ImagoImagery
There is a reduction in power as said before but they work fine with my Bowens Gemini studio flash on location has worked right up to the max shutter speed.

Posted 3 July 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join