Nikon D610

40 posts
26 June 2014
CliveLawrence
Photographer
CliveLawrenc..
The camera is not re-formatting the SD card/s in the way I am used to (Set up menu / Format memory card / Slot 1 / Images will be deleted, Yes) the images are still on the card. Any advice?

Posted 26 June 2014
DMTphoto
Photographer
DMTphoto
Have you got a card in slot 2 that it's reading the photos from?

Try formatting with the 2 red buttons, with only one card in the camera in slot 1.

Posted 26 June 2014
CliveLawrence
Photographer
CliveLawrenc..
Thank you, card in slot 1 only. I tried holding the two red buttons down togethe forr more than two seconds - pictures still there

Posted 26 June 2014
tthompson01
Photographer
tthompson01
Press the two red buttons, when the top lcd plate flashes "For" release buttons and then press them again. I don't use or have a D610 but beleive this process is the same on all Nikon DSLRs.

Posted 26 June 2014
Edited by tthompson01 26 June 2014
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Have you tried a different SD card?

Posted 26 June 2014
EllessePhotography
Photographer
EllessePhoto..
Have you got the write protect tab set on the card?

Posted 26 June 2014
nikondave
Photographer
nikondave
EllessePhotography

Have you got the write protect tab set on the card?

That would be mine or you've pressed the lock/protect on the camera for that images

Posted 26 June 2014
MG
Photographer
MG
I've just had this issue with a Transcend CF card with a Canon 5d3. Spent ages on the phone to Transcend and they eventually gave up and told me to send it back. Not much help to you though, sorry
Posted 26 June 2014
Rolleiflexer
Photographer
Rolleiflexer
I use a D600 which is virtually the same. I always reformat cards via my computer, which never fails. Put the card in your reader find it in my computer on PC or it will appear on desktop if like me you use a Mac. Click on card icon and you will see a folder called DCIM, double click on that which will then show another folder, probably called 100ND610 or something similar, double click on that and you will see all your images, select all or whichever images you wish to delete, hit the delete key, once all unwanted images have gone, eject the card and pop it back in your camera. (Remember to empty your recycle bin of the unwanted images)

Posted 27 June 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Rolleiflexer

I always reformat cards via my computer, which never fails.

There are good reasons not to do this in so much that each Camera manufacturer may have its own slightly different interpretation of filing systems when formatting the cards.

Formatting in a PC also has the potential to add other files to the card (eg. some catalogueing software & virus killers leave check files in directories) which could impair the camera's ability to use the card properly.
Posted 27 June 2014
nikondave
Photographer
nikondave
Rolleiflexer

I use a D600 which is virtually the same. I always reformat cards via my computer, which never fails. Put the card in your reader find it in my computer on PC or it will appear on desktop if like me you use a Mac. Click on card icon and you will see a folder called DCIM, double click on that which will then show another folder, probably called 100ND610 or something similar, double click on that and you will see all your images, select all or whichever images you wish to delete, hit the delete key, once all unwanted images have gone, eject the card and pop it back in your camera. (Remember to empty your recycle bin of the unwanted images)

Hitting the dlete key is not Formatting, its just deleting
Posted 27 June 2014
CliveLawrence
Photographer
CliveLawrenc..
Thanks guys,
I have found out from friends on here that by pressing the two 'red' buttons together twice, it re-formats the SD card.
This is different from what I am used to with my older cameras and flash-cards.
But it works, and I can get on with things

Posted 27 June 2014
CliveLawrence
Photographer
CliveLawrenc..
The camera is still giving me uphill, by failing to re-format the SD card via the menu as instructed or by holding down the two 'red' buttons. The camera also fails to remember input changes, for example changes to ISO in U1 and U2 modes.
The camera is wonderful in all other respects - the main ones, it's just these niggling issues.

Posted 4 July 2014
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
There's not a chance the protect sliding tab on the card has been moved across?

Posted 4 July 2014
CliveLawrence
Photographer
CliveLawrenc..
Thanks but no, that was one of the first things I checked - the camera wont try to re-format with the card lock on.
But thanks, appreciate your suggestion

Posted 4 July 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join