National Crime Agency Warning

National Crime Agency Warning

24 posts
2 June 2014
photostore
Photographer
photostore
just saw on Sky news today a dept of justice briefing that they are warning everyone of a major attck within a fortnight from a powerful computer virus? over the weekend the dept disrupted two major players in cyber crime "game over zues and cryptolocker"
So i guess they are expecting major repercussions because of it, 

Posted 2 June 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
It seems they are saying that you have two weeks before the criminals get control of the botnetwork back, so if your machine is infected you can clean it out during that time.
[edit: Just heard Radio 4 explain it just like this]

The Guardian website says:
"Digital police from across the globe have claimed success in disrupting a criminal operation running one of the most aggressive computer viruses ever seen, known as Cryptolocker.

The UK's National Crime Agency (NCA) has warned British internet users that they have a two-week window to protect themselves from the malware, after working with the FBI, Europol and other law enforcement bodies to weaken the global network of infected computers.

"By making use of this two-week window, huge numbers of people in the UK can stop that from happening to them. Whether you find online security complicated or confusing, or simply haven’t thought about keeping your personal or office computers safe for a while, now is the time to take action."

and the BBC website says much the same

Posted 2 June 2014
Edited by stolenfaces 2 June 2014
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster

CERT has a list of free scanners here:

http://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA14-150A

Posted 2 June 2014
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
A Question for the software experts:

I have only been using Microsoft Security Essentials since I built this computer nearly 2 1/2 years ago and so far I've never had any virus infections.

I've just downloaded their latest update and currently running a full scan (which has been running now for over an hour and could take two more at this rate) although an earlier quick scan revealed no problems.

The question is...is this sufficient protection or do I need to download and install one of the proprietary virus protection programs for added security or will MSE suffice?

Posted 3 June 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Wouldn't it be great to just turn the bloody things off? That'd piss off the criminal criminals and governmental criminals at the same time.

Posted 3 June 2014
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
tonycsm

A Question for the software experts: I have only been using Microsoft Security Essentials since I built this computer nearly 2 1/2 years ago and so far I've never had any virus infections. I've just downloaded their latest update and currently running a full scan (which has been running now for over an hour and could take two more at this rate) although an earlier quick scan revealed no problems. The question is...is this sufficient protection or do I need to download and install one of the proprietary virus protection programs for added security or will MSE suffice?

I'm no expert, but it seems that the most prudent thing to do is back up your data.

From what I've read, by the time this thing has installed itself, your virus scanner won't work because your files will already be encrypted. The BBC says that it usually arrives via the opening of attachments or the clicking on links in emails that look official.

I'm sure someone who knows will be along shortly. In the meantime, annoying though it is, I'll buy yet another drive and make sure its unplugged from the computer unless I'm actually backing up.
Posted 3 June 2014
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
w4pictures

I'm no expert, but it seems that the most prudent thing to do is back up your data.

From what I've read, by the time this thing has installed itself, your virus scanner won't work because your files will already be encrypted. The BBC says that it usually arrives via the opening of attachments or the clicking on links in emails that look official.

I'm sure someone who knows will be along shortly. In the meantime, annoying though it is, I'll buy yet another drive and make sure its unplugged from the computer unless I'm actually backing up.

I have several backup drives and frequently back up my files so I'm not too bothered about that side of things - in fact it will be done again tonight.

I'm mostly concerned that Microsoft Security Essentials is up to providing sufficient protection for this alleged new threat?

The full in-depth MSE scan I ran tonight actually highlighted some suspect Java files so I allowed it to delete them just to be sure.
Posted 3 June 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
It's not a new threat, it's been around for a while.
Apparently MSE should be reasonably ok for protecting as long as you are careful....according to this found by googling:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_scanning/is-ms-security-essentials-protecting-against/057ba134-d010-4b7a-b820-7b2b1a5b0689

Posted 4 June 2014
Edited by stolenfaces 3 June 2014
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
stolenfaces

It's not a new threat, it's been around for a while. Apparently MSE should be reasonably ok for protecting as long as you are careful....according to this found by googling: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_scanning/is-ms-security-essentials-protecting-against/057ba134-d010-4b7a-b820-7b2b1a5b0689

Cheers SF...

Slightly reassuring but I don't think any single anti-xxx  program will protect you from everything nasty out there so you're right, care is what it's about when opening any link.

Posted 4 June 2014
stevegosh
Photographer
stevegosh
Posted 4 June 2014
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
I'm just wondering which software the alleged fraudsters who are putting out the malware are using for their online protection? I want that one!
Posted 4 June 2014
ChazPhotos
Photographer
ChazPhotos
I remember being told all computers would stop at midnight on 31/12/1999. It was a great way to sell programs that would stop it happening to you, I did not buy anything and nothing happened
Posted 4 June 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
tonycsm
I'm just wondering which software the alleged fraudsters who are putting out the malware are using for their online protection? I want that one!
I think they won't use windows... Probably Linux
Posted 4 June 2014
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
I'm just waiting for the conspiracy theorists to come out with the idea that it's really a secret plot by the CIA/FBI to get everyone to panic and download their 'doctored' virus protection software so that they can moniitor us even more!sad
Posted 4 June 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
^ You really don't need to touch upon conspiracy theory to be appalled at the information being harvested daily about us all, the facts suffice. Interestingly now I see Facebook and various apps are requiring access to your telephone microphone as and when they choose too.

Posted 4 June 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join