Green Screen Video

12 posts
29 May 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Anyone know the best software for green screen video work, ie. Taking a video of a person speaking for example against a green screen and then putting them in another environment speaking for example. I've seen lots of cheesy free smallish programmes but what's the pro choice? Eventually I would be looking at software to edit video with too so if there is a programme that does both I might prefer to get a package.
If any video nuts have any examples of their work too that would be good. Thanks.

Posted 29 May 2014
rtistik
Photographer
rtistik
Adobe Premiere Pro

Posted 30 May 2014
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
Adobe Premier CC or from CC6 does you very well but it's part of Adobe Cloud and you might not want to pay the monthly sub fee but if you do, then you can have Photoshop/Lightroom/After Effects/Illustrator etc

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/creativecloud.html

Posted 30 May 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Sony Vegas Pro can do it allegedly (there's tutorials on Youtube). A suitable alternative to Adobe Premiere if you prefer a one-off payment for software, especially if you don't intend to upgrade regularly (and thus save a fortune over Adobe's extortionate pricing system).

Here's a video of Vegas showing it being done
Posted 30 May 2014
Edited by RedChecker 30 May 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Thanks I will take a look. I did look into the new photoshop at one point on a monthly basis, as im currently on a full package of cs3 extended which has always served well but I didn't really see the need for cc and sharing things around etc. I don't fully understand what cc is but from my understanding its so you can share the created content between devices? As I only use a desktop pc I wouldn't want or need that. Adobe premier I will look into though for learning video.

Posted 30 May 2014
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
What camera or video format codec are you using for your chroma key work?

Posted 30 May 2014
Edited by Chandos 30 May 2014
TheChrisS
Photographer
TheChrisS
My job is partly in this field, creating animations for estate agents. While Sony Vegas is ok with Chromakey I find Premiere or After Effects to be far more efficient. Premiere CS6 it's till floating around and you don't need to pay a monthly subscription. Alternatively if anyone in your family is involved with education you can buy the student edition at a heavily reduced price, with the same features as the full version.

Example of my work with green screen and Premiere in a commercial capacity:

http://www.targetpropertyservices.tv

Oh, and I always render out in .mp4 at 25fps for online videos, at around 3-4mb per second. It depends what you want the video for really. If it's not online then render out uncompressed (or as high spec as you can, 12mb p/s is reasonable in .mov, and full HD (1920x1080).

Posted 30 May 2014
Edited by TheChrisS 30 May 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Like the vid, that's the sort of thing I meant, 5d mkiii would be what im using unless I can raise funds for a canon XA10. I've struggled greatly indoors with lighting with the 5d. Two halogen worklights, the type you see on construction sites have worked best but they get hella hot!
Im not a fan of cranking iso up even with the mkiii, I rarely go past 100. I find some of the footage is a little oversaturated but generally if the lighting is right then its sharp and clear.

Posted 30 May 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
If you're disappointed with indoor video on the 5D you'll be in for a shock with the XA10.

As for over saturated footage, you should tweak the camera's settings for low contrast & saturation to then correct in post.

Posted 30 May 2014
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
Catuaba
Like the vid, that's the sort of thing I meant, 5d mkiii would be what im using unless I can raise funds for a canon XA10. I've struggled greatly indoors with lighting with the 5d. Two halogen worklights, the type you see on construction sites have worked best but they get hella hot! Im not a fan of cranking iso up even with the mkiii, I rarely go past 100. I find some of the footage is a little oversaturated but generally if the lighting is right then its sharp and clear.
For chroma key work getting the lighting of the subject to match the intended background is very important particularly so if you are using compressed 8 bit 4.2.0 files from Canon dSLRs. I would consider the Raw ML hack for your 5DIII since it will give you cleaner higher quality files and more latitude in post to fine tune.
Posted 31 May 2014
Edited by Chandos 31 May 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
I wasn't sure there was a stable version yet for the mkiii. I have concerns over damaging the unit. Although the results obviously are awesome I feel there is some risk.

Posted 31 May 2014
david_barns
Photographer
david_barns
I too have been looking for an easy program for GREEN SCREEN VIDEO. Take a look at this link, let me know what you think.

http://www.greenscreenwizard.com/GreenScreenzipper.aspx

Posted 4 June 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join