Horse for shoot

20 posts
25 May 2014
photomagic
Photographer
photomagic
Hi guys I am working on a project im very passionate about.
and I know its a long shot. but can anyone advise me on how to approach people who own horses, i would like to utilise in a shoot.
Im doing some themed shooting and need to include a horse. in the photo for effect.
ive asked at two local livery stables and all i got in reply was NO!! or NO!!!!!.
I dont know anyone personally who keeps horses and dont want the models involved to go off the boil so to speak. Any help guys?
I live in rotherham and can travel within reason not sure if the models will be as enthusiastic about travelling. cheers guys.
Posted 25 May 2014
Hey hunni, what ideas do you have? Kat x
Posted 25 May 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Have you thought this through properly?

If you really want to shoot with horses then find a model who can provide a horse she owns or knows very well - there are plenty around. Then make sure you have adequate insurance cover!

Otherwise if something goes wrong, as well it might, be prepared to lose your home and any other assets you own.

The people at your local livery seem to understand the potential outcomes better than you!
Posted 25 May 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 25 May 2014
photomagic
Photographer
photomagic
marlhamphoto

Have you thought this through properly? If you really want to shoot with horses then find a model who can provide a horse she owns or knows very well. Then make sure you have adequate insurance cover! Otherwise if something goes wrong, as well it might, be prepared to lose your home and any other assets you own. The people at your local livery seem to understand the potential outcomes better than you!

Hi Thanks for pointing that out to me. Im quite well versed with horses as i used to work at a racing stables for a famous owner when i was younger so know my way around horses.
just not been there for a long time mainly wanting a horse in some of the shots. but thank you smiley
Posted 25 May 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
photomagic

Hi Thanks for pointing that out to me. Im quite well versed with horses as i used to work at a racing stables for a famous owner when i was younger so know my way around horses.
just not been there for a long time mainly wanting a horse in some of the shots. but thank you smiley

It was actually the models' safety I was primarily concerned about cheeky
But good luck - I'm sure your extensive experience around horses will see you through it.
Posted 25 May 2014
Suggest you contact Becky Blissitt - lovely looking model and person, who has her own horses...

http://www.purestorm.com/profile.aspx?id=thewizard123

Posted 25 May 2014
photomagic
Photographer
photomagic
marlhamphoto

It was actually the models' safety I was primarily concerned about cheeky
But good luck - I'm sure your extensive experience around horses will see you through it.

Again thank you for your helpful and thoughtful concerns they really are appreciated.
I will make sure all goes well for both model and horse. and hopefully be able to post the results on here.

Posted 25 May 2014
jes
Model
jes
I'd be happy to help as my horses have done lots of shoots, but I think I'm too far for you.  Becky Blissett is closer, I think, and is a great model with lovely horses.

Posted 25 May 2014
photomagic
Photographer
photomagic
jes

I'd be happy to help as my horses have done lots of shoots, but I think I'm too far for you.  Becky Blissett is closer, I think, and is a great model with lovely horses.

Thank you Jes for your kind offer. you may be a little too far away but your kindness cut that distance to nothing thank you.

Posted 26 May 2014
photomagic
Photographer
photomagic
I still haven't found a local'ish model who owns a horse or could help out with finding one close enough to me. thanks to all who have tried to help so far. still looking guys.

Posted 26 May 2014
LowSociety
Photographer
LowSociety
I too have been wanting to do a horse themed shoot for a couple of years, and it still hasn't happened. I'm determined that it will take place one day. Good luck with your shoot - hope you manage to get something sorted.

Posted 26 May 2014
photomagic

I still haven't found a local'ish model who owns a horse or could help out with finding one close enough to me. thanks to all who have tried to help so far. still looking guys.

Two of us have pointed you in the direction of the lovely Becky Blissett who is a wonderful model and owns horses...she lives about 64 miles away from you (Grimsby)...surely that's not too far to travel for the right model?

http://www.purestorm.com/profile.aspx?id=thewizard123

I often travel further than that, for the right photographer frown

Posted 26 May 2014
Edited by SuzyMonty 26 May 2014
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen

Step One) Shoot some horses standing in a field.
Step Two) Shoot some models in a studio, posing on a saddle.
Step Three) Photoshop the images together. Add reigns, muzzle flash coming out of those muskets, dramatic sky, etc. Job done!

Not easy, but compared to running around a field with a step ladder, trying to get the horse to stand in the right position, while you move your lights about...

Dave

Posted 26 May 2014
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_ph..
SuzyMonty

Two of us have pointed you in the direction of the lovely Becky Blissett 

Ah, you can take a horse to water, but.........................................surprise
Posted 26 May 2014
LowSociety
Photographer
LowSociety
Having worked with Becky (but not for a shoot with her and her horses), I can certainly vouch for her versatility, professionalism and modelling skills as well as being a thoroughly nice person. In my case, I'd love to work with Becky again, but she wouldn't be the right model for the horse shoot that I want to do.

The person who started this thread may also have a particular style of model that he would like to use for the shoot.

Posted 26 May 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join