All the time

28 posts
21 May 2014
Cody
Model
Cody
'I can only afford x as I am building my portfolio' I am convinced I will learn a lot from you Aargh frustrating! why don't new photographers understand the basics?
Posted 21 May 2014
JohnB
Photographer
JohnB
Perhaps they see you as approachable? Lovely bump by the way! John
Posted 21 May 2014
davidhibberd
Photographer
davidhibberd
Cody

'I can only afford x as I am building my portfolio' I am convinced I will learn a lot from you Aargh frustrating! why don't new photographers understand the basics?

The hard fact is that their understanding of "the basics" is probably different from yours,

Posted 21 May 2014
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
Perhaps they simply don't think you are worth your rates?

Posted 21 May 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
I expect most photographers seek to negotiate modelling rates. I guess though the issue is peoples' varying assessment of what constitutes negotiation and what is nothing more than taking the pee.

However if someone's claiming poverty, for whatever reason, that sounds more like an appeal for charity which kinda puts them firmly in the latter category
Posted 21 May 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 21 May 2014
Cody
Model
Cody
I often get the reply ' I can't afford much, as I am building up my portfolio' haha

Posted 21 May 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
I have worked with Cody, which I suspect sd hasn't, and can confirm she is a talented professional model who charges competitive rates. She is also charming, with an easy manner. Its certainly true that those with less experience would learn a lot by working witb her.

Actually sd, have you ever worked with anyone on this site because we never see you post any work....but that's the point isn't it....much easier to get attention just posting negative worthless opinions, as ever ...and including this one, based on no experience or fact?

Its obvious you get some pleasure from your endless worthless vitriolic diatribes...you might be able to get help you know?

Posted 21 May 2014
Cody
Model
Cody
marlhamphoto

I expect most photographers seek to negotiate modelling rates. I guess though the issue is peoples' varying assessment of what constitutes negotiation and what is nothing more than taking the pee.

However if someone's claiming poverty, for whatever reason, that sounds more like an appeal for charity which kinda puts them firmly in the latter category

I think this is the case
I see this said in casting calls before I have even got in touch with rates so it's not often a personal thing
Posted 21 May 2014
Edited by Cody 21 May 2014
JohnB
Photographer
JohnB
Some models I would look to negotiate with, some I wouldn't. I suspect Cody is one that I wouldn't because of her experience.
People will always try to reduce cost. It's a fact of life
John

Posted 21 May 2014
Photobomber
Photographer
Photobomber
I do t see the problem. If they cant afford a rate and seek to negotiate its the models choice to negotiate or not. Not everyone will think your worth the stated rate. Some will.

Posted 21 May 2014
Cody
Model
Cody
My point really is some photographers don't understand they need to pay to build a portfolio. .... I sometimes hear tfp only! Anyway thanks for listening
Posted 21 May 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I think most understand perfectly. To them though it's better to have the arrogance to try their luck, and they'll most likely get a bit of personal satisfaction if they succeed.

Posted 21 May 2014
jes
Model
jes
I've been asked if I will work for free because they are beginners and can't afford to pay.  When I've asked what I will get in return, the reply was; "Well you can have control of the shoot", which I took to mean that I will also need to set up the lights and come up with the ideas!

Posted 21 May 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Don't forget as well - "If you don't ask... You don't get"

Posted 21 May 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
On the other hand, an insultingly low offer isn't normally a good start to negotiations .
Especially when the seller is emotionally attached to the thing under offer.

And if you pay peanuts .....

Posted 21 May 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join