5D MK iii

17 posts
18 May 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Just testing the waters here to see offers.

I have a 5d mkiii body only. Comes with original box etc. Only done one shoot on my port and a handful if that of family/friends photos. Don't know the exact shutters but I think you'd be very pushed to find one with as few as this.

Camera is absolutely mint and kept in a bag since purchase from WEX Photographic. There is a tiny tiny superficial scratch/mark on the top view screen (right hand side top of camera shows iso and settings etc) This mark you will struggle to even find or see, it doesn't effect anything at all whatsoever and I think it was caused by something in the bag (end of usb wire or something) Rubbing on a long walk. It's of no significance whatsoever, however because I am a stickler for perfection I have purchased a new top screen which is ready to go on if you want to put it on, the old one just suckers off. Haven't done it yet as to be honest this mark is not even noticeable.

I would like either a swap for a grand and a 5dmkii with a 24-105 or a very decent mkii on it's own or as close to 2k cash as possible on its own, etc etc. So send me your offers if your interested.

Wont accept any other sort of camera other that mkii.

Wont do deal until we have both visually tested and inspected each others items and happy.

Based in Blackpool. Free weekends and evenings.

Posted 18 May 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
There's an 'open box' 5dmk3 in wex right now with a 12 month wex warranty for £2150 just to add a sprinkle of reality to the thread. They've a 5d2 for £890 too.

Posted 18 May 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Works out perfect for this shutter count then.
Posted 18 May 2014
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
Can I ask why you want to downgrade to the Mkii?

What is it that you don't you like about the Mkiii?

Just curious.
Dave

Posted 18 May 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
The mkiii is a stunning camera, the best I have ever laid hands on and I couldn't fault it at all. However I wish to get into video a bit and drop some cash on a video camera, but cant be without a decent dslr, so the mkii and some money towards the camcorder seems a sensible option. However as prices don't stay how they should for long, like cars, I probably wont get a sensible enough offer to do so.

Posted 18 May 2014
MG
Photographer
MG
I'd honestly advertise it on ebay as 'new other'. I bought a brand new import for £1850 recently but the UK 'new other' should fetch around the 2k mark i'd expect. Also put the auction open to EU too to get more bidders. I just got £600 for a 7d on there that was several months old but as new condition.

Posted 18 May 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
£1750 cash on collection. Any inspection welcome.

Posted 23 May 2014
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
If you are into video camera, would you be interested in swapping your 5DMkIII for a 5DMkII plus a hacked Lumix GH2 with a 14-140 Lumix lens and Canon EOS to M43 adapter? I may even include a Samyang 35mm f1.4 and a good variable ND filter.

Posted 24 May 2014
Edited by Chandos 24 May 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Appreciate the offer but I have my eyes on some specific Video Gear. Seems to be a little more interest in the camera now the price is a little lower. It's a shame things depreciate so fast because the camera really is mint and what I would consider the best I've used. It's just the video side has been so good it's really opened my eyes to going down that route a little more.

Posted 24 May 2014
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
Hi Catuaba,

Why don't you shoot video on the Mkiii? It's better quality than any domestic camcorda you'll find out there. And of course you can change lenses on the DSLR.

Unless you're moving up to something serious like one of the Red's or an Arri, I don't understand why you'd let the Mkiii go.

It's obviously none of my business, I know, but I can't help being curious.

Dave
Posted 25 May 2014
Edited by Crippen 25 May 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
The quality is amazing, I agree, but I've found it only good for that soft focus bokkeh type effect. For full on video you'll never get the same from a dslr. Maybe with magic lantern but im reluctant to alter and risk the software. Zoom etc will never be the same. At least for me it hasn't worked out anyway.
I fancy going down to a mkii and getting the XA10 from canon as a pro entry level camcorder to learn with. All the vids I've seen seem of very good quality. It's just personal choice I suppose.

Posted 26 May 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Additionally I don't use the mkiii enough to warrant having all that money sat on a shelf. Photography has changed as the economy has also! I'm not expecting any money from video, but it may be something I get more out of in terms of use and learning. As you can see from my port I've only done one shoot months back!

Posted 26 May 2014
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

And good luck with the XA10.
Dave

Posted 26 May 2014
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
I've removed the mkiii from sale online as it isn't selling anyway. And I know it will be good for my future photo needs, but in regards to video I think the only thing I can do is try and learn the best way to use it as a video camera. I watched some video comparisons after your post as it got me thinking, and my conclusion is that the mkiii quality is better than that of an expensive video camera, but only if you know how to use it and be creative. Zooming and focus are clearly a problem. But the versatility is there with lens options and add on equipment.
So in conclusion I still really don't know the answer, but for now I shall keep it. Im not an expert on video in anyway, im happy with my photography, it's took some years to get it how I want it. But for video I am new.

Posted 26 May 2014
MG
Photographer
MG
I use the 5DIII and the 6D commercially for video from weddings to pr. I really do find it the best video camera for the money but not on it's own. You really need to use an external monitor with it to help with focussing. Magic Lantern is excellent and won't break it one tiny bit. It sits on the CF card so doesn't really interfere with the firmware. You take it out and you get your original firmware back. I fully admit that its more difficult to use but more challenging. It sods like to me you'd be better off selling and then buying 6D as that then gives you some extra cash just to buy something small with. I can not remember seeing video so crisp as the 5Diii and 6D produce unless you go for a 1DC or a Red which is crazy money.

Good luck with it, don't give up, just learn to shoot differently...

Posted 27 May 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join