Renting

27 posts
9 May 2014
kayliem
Model
kayliem
Hi everyone ive been renting for 3 yrs now while im saving for a deposit to buy a house. Does anyone else who's living in rented accommodation feel down about it? I'll explain why I do sometimes. No matter how at home I feel, or make it homely I seem to always be aware its not my actual home. I get mail nearly every day through my door for past tenants. Ive had people knock at my door looking for past tenants. My landlord wont let me do anything In the flat, I have inspections every six months and the letting agent always complains about something and sends me rude letters. Eg. complaining my washing machine wasn't clean enough (even though its my machine not supplied with the flat) Please say its not just me who gets down about renting? kaylie
Posted 9 May 2014
Edited by kayliem 9 May 2014
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
Cheer up! If you're really down about it, maybe look to rent somewhere less oppressive. There must be rentable places where you can genuinely feel at home.

Its a wonderful feeling when you buy your own nest. But don't think owning is some shangri-la. Once the euphoria has worn off, it comes with its own problems and a host of expenses.

How about a small bar of very good chocolate and a quick trawl through zoopla?

Posted 9 May 2014
kayliem
Model
kayliem
This is my second flat so wont move again until I buy now. I know a lot of people are in the same boat as me. Just waiting and saving. Most of time im very cheerfull

Yes choccie does help!

Posted 9 May 2014
jpv
Photographer
jpv
It's a "mind-set" thing and to feel differently you must re think your position. I have many friends in Europe who have never thought about buying their main home as in Paris, Brussels and Berlin you rent year after year after year. They still think of it as home. It's also interesting that several of them own "holiday homes". The location of these varies from Florida, to around the "Med" but also in London.
Posted 10 May 2014
Darkstudent
Photographer
Darkstudent
you could always live on the street instead ?

Posted 10 May 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
Look on the bright side - at least it gives you the added impetus to save hard and get into a home of your own as soon as you can. Lots of people just sit back and do nothing to improve their situation despite complaining about it.

Posted 10 May 2014
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
kayliem

This is my second flat so wont move again until I buy now. I know a lot of people are in the same boat as me. Just waiting and saving. Most of time im very cheerfull Yes choccie does help!

So you live in a flat on a boat...............

I'm confused 
Posted 10 May 2014
Rented once and never again. Now living with partner and his grandparents while we are saving hard. Luckily there is an option of 5% insted of 10% mortgage deposit for first time buyers
Posted 11 May 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
It looks like they're going to be changing the rules for Help To Buy and the mortgage rates are going up. Its helped a few first time buyers but its also helped the rich get richer. Got to love those bankers.

Interest rates will go up later this year.

Posted 11 May 2014
Cody
Model
Cody
Oh no you have inspections? I used to have those in Australia and detested them!!

I am renting now but the landlord is pretty laidback so am happy with this at the moment. At least if something breaks you get it replaced and are not tied down.  I would move if I were you though ...wouldn't want to put up with inspections and nasty letters
Posted 13 May 2014
Edited by Cody 13 May 2014
CliveLawrence
Photographer
CliveLawrence
People with mortgages are also renting

Posted 13 May 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
CliveLawrence
People with mortgages are also renting
If I buy a car with a bank loan, is that the same as renting a car. Obviously not. A normal mortgage arrangement may involve assigning some rights to the mortgage company, but if you buy a house with a mortgage it is not the same as renting... people paying mortgages are not (normally) renting.
Posted 13 May 2014
Flash
Photographer
Flash
When I was out of work 6 years ago, because I owned my own house (mortgage) I didn't get any help with the payments. If I had been renting, I may have got some help. Last week I found out that our septic tank is leaking, and we've received a letter from the council telling us that we need to replace it with a sewage treatment plant at a cost of several thousand pounds. It's times like this I wish I rented!!!
Posted 13 May 2014
mikethefoto
Photographer
mikethefoto
Darkstudent

you could always live on the street instead ?

Always nice to get a constructive comment - NOT!
Posted 17 May 2014
AlletunYL
Photographer
AlletunYL
What are they doing looking in the washing machine, bit weird???

Posted 17 May 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join