Anyone played with the new Sigma 'art' lens' yet?

Anyone played with the new Sigma 'art' lens' yet?

27 posts
9 May 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Being a big fan of three in their range, I wondered if anyone has had a play yet with the new 'art' range? Early reviews seem positive and I find the USB calibration dock a potentially huge step forward as a concept?

Anyone?

Posted 9 May 2014
dhuntuk
Photographer
dhuntuk
Do you have a link, please? Because I simply do not know what you are talking about? Thanks. I mean that in a nice way.
Posted 9 May 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Questions like this are best posted on fredmiranda.com
Posted 9 May 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
For fucks sake, one person has the Internet but not the search part apparently? The other wishes to ignore the potential that photographers might be interested in talking about photography related subjects on a photography related site? Is there anyone not afflicted with advanced 'lame' with an insight?

Not that I'm expecting much vivacious and informed interplay really based on the current trend...

Posted 10 May 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
profilepictures

For fucks sake, one person has the Internet but not the search part apparently? The other wishes to ignore the potential that photographers might be interested in talking about photography related subjects on a photography related site? Is there anyone not afflicted with advanced 'lame' with an insight? Not that I'm expecting much vivacious and informed interplay really based on the current trend...

Not sure what all the above means....but as posted earlier...search fredmiranda.com...the Yanks have researched almost anything photograph in fine detail.....incliding the OPs question.....
Posted 10 May 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
PS: Just looked at the OPs images on here...really interesting stuff.....

Posted 10 May 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I give up.

Posted 10 May 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
profilepictures

I give up.

Might be your best option if you can't take advice...pity.....you have some interesting images....
Posted 10 May 2014
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
fredmiranda.com is full of hype, virtually any average lens get a good mention.
I will be getting some Sigma Art lens soon as I heard good report from UK owners. These lenses are especially prized by indie filmmakers who consider them optically superior to Canon L lenses.

Posted 10 May 2014
Edited by Chandos 10 May 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
anthonyh
Might be your best option if you can't take advice...pity.....you have some interesting images....
I wanted to discuss a newly available lens, ideally with a new owner rather than a website reviewer. Better still, someone with experience of the previous Sigma models for a comparison. I can and regularly do take advice, but I'm careful and selective about those I'd listen carefully to. So many bullshit merchants around who imagine they used to be a bit special you see? As for your comment about my photos? It's irrelevant to me. If I'd needed an opinion from a one trick pony with a bygone outlook on photography, I'd have asked in the portfolio review section. However, if selective colour comes back into fashion, you might get a call. Now, any Sigma 50mm ex dg owners who've made a move to the new 50 1.4 art? Also interested in any hands on experience here from 35mm 1.4 art owners?
Posted 10 May 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Chandos

fredmiranda.com is full of hype, virtually any average lens get a good mention. I will be getting some Sigma Art lens soon as I heard good report from UK owners. These lenses are especially prized by indie filmmakers who consider them optically superior to Canon L lenses.

There are a number of FM users of these lenses that have posted their impressions, their images, and comparisons with the Canon equivalents. Which is why I suggested visiting...sorry if I upset the OP who seems to be something of a rude prat. No wonder some people don't want to participate on the forums on this site anymore.
Posted 10 May 2014
Edited by anthonyh 10 May 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
profilepictures

Now, any Sigma 50mm ex dg owners who've made a move to the new 50 1.4 art? Also interested in any hands on experience here from 35mm 1.4 art owners?

I did clap eyes on the Zeiss Otus at the camera show and was amazed how big it is compared to my old Sigma 50mm f1.4 actually seeing it in the flesh.  From what I gather the new 'art' version of the Sigma is similar to the Otus both in size and weight (it's like an MF prime).  Something to consider if you thought the old Sigma 50 was big enough.
Posted 10 May 2014
JuanMuino
Photographer
JuanMuino

I use the 35mm F: 1.4 art lens.

It is beautifully made, feels sturdy and feels well balanced on 5d MK II / III. The hood is great, and although not that important, the caps don't have a quality feel.

At first I wasn't that blown away with the image quality as it looked a little contrasty on the back of the LCD...that is until I looked through the images on Lightroom...and then fell in love with this lens.

During my last wedding it was used about 80% of the time.

I am a huge fan of Bokeh, however I will be backing away from 1.4 and primarily shooting at F1.8 onwards.

You do get some vignette at 1.4, however this can be easily corrected in post.

Based on my use of this lens and the results it produces I will most probably buy a few other Sigma Art primes to run along my L glass primes too.

i have used the Canon equiv. which is an awesome lens as well, but it felt slightly slower to focus.

I hope this helps, feel free to fire of any other questions.

Posted 10 May 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
RedChecker
I did clap eyes on the Zeiss Otus at the camera show and was amazed how big it is compared to my old Sigma 50mm f1.4 actually seeing it in the flesh.  From what I gather the new 'art' version of the Sigma is similar to the Otus both in size and weight (it's like an MF prime).  Something to consider if you thought the old Sigma 50 was big enough.
Nice one Checker. I hadn't really thought too much about it's size and weight, maybe the extra mass will help a bit in stability terms at slow shutter and wide apertures though?
Posted 10 May 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Thanks Juan, why the backing away from f1.4 though? I use my current sigma 500 at that aperture most of the time I guess, is there a problem apart from the vignette?

Was your canon comparison with the canon 35mm or 50mm f1.4? I haven't used the 35mm but I hated the flimsy and heavy vignetting 50mm (which broke twice and was repaired at £110 a go btw)

Are you finding it comfortable to wield, and had you tried the canon 50mm L f1.2 at any point - I'm wondering if a new sigma is as good a buy as a second hand F1.2L right now?

Posted 10 May 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join