Lightroom 5 vs Capture NX 2.

Lightroom 5 vs Capture NX 2.

39 posts
4 May 2014
CCP
Photographer
CCP
It's well over due for me to buy some new software. I have been watching stuff on youtube demonstrating both Lightroom 5 and NX2, and was wondering which people here prefer. I keep going back to watch again, and still I am not sure which to buy. At the moment, I am leaning slightly more towards NX2.

What do you think? 
Posted 4 May 2014
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecooked
Capture one!

Posted 4 May 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
I got NX2 bundled with my camera. Up until Lightroom 3 I regularly used NX2 to process individual images as I felt it gave me noticeably better quality. However since Lightroom 4 I haven't bothered with it - Lightroom (together with a custom camera profile*) does a pretty good job plus you get all the additional functions such as cataloguing which Lightroom provides so seamlessly.

I've tried Capture One several times over the years but have consistently found it to be unstable on Windows and got rid of it every time.

If you shoot weddings or anything that results in hundreds of images to process you'll find Lightroom invaluable.

*You can create a custom camera profile easily using ColorChecker Passport.
Posted 4 May 2014
Edited by marlhamphoto 4 May 2014
TheShinyOne
Photographer
TheShinyOne
Capture NX2 has been replaced with free, lower quality usability software by the geniuses at Nikon - Capture NX-D I think its called ? So any new cameras may not be supported and any bugs won't be fixed, sadly. Should be cheap though, if you can find it, but I always found it incredibly slow on Windows and prefer Aperture on mac now.

Posted 4 May 2014
nikondave
Photographer
nikondave
I've been on lightroom for about 18 months, found it more user friendly after a couple of weeks and the keys allow you to put it on upto 5 machines, Macs and PC !

Posted 5 May 2014
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Thanks for the replies everyone! Wex are still selling NX2 so was tempted, because of the light points feature. I don't like the sound of having a cheaper version. My camera is the d300s, and I have been using Capture, from ages ago. It won't work with the NEF files, as I bought it back when I was using my d70 a lot. I do like Nikon software, so I am used to how it works, and the touching up brush in the NX2 would mean I could do it all without any other software. My editing is quite basic, as you'll see if you look at my images. I was watching a lot of Lightroom videos, and was impressed, but then started watching the NX2 videos, and now think I may have to buy both if I can't decide. Maybe Wex have it advertised, but don't still have it for sale, who knows. I was ill all last week, and had to postpone everything this coming week, through lack of energy. So it's a pity I am not in the situation where I can use this software to do some fast editing this week instead. The software I use for touching up is so old, it takes absolutely ages. Thanks for the links as well all those who posted them. I will still be thinking about it. Cheers
Posted 5 May 2014
StNeots
Photographer
StNeots
TheShinyOne

Capture NX2 has been replaced with free, lower quality usability software by the geniuses at Nikon - Capture NX-D I think its called ? So any new cameras may not be supported and any bugs won't be fixed, sadly. Should be cheap though, if you can find it, but I always found it incredibly slow on Windows and prefer Aperture on mac now.

Not yet it hasn't. NXD is (according to Nikon's web site) a beta version of the successor to NX2. If you visit the web site and read the comments, they are incorporating in the final version some of the things they stripped out of the NXD when they put it up.

Posted 5 May 2014
Edited by StNeots 5 May 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
I'm not a Nikon user but I cannot see anything NX2 offers that Lightroom does not. they just do things in a different way. I'm not entirely sure what you meant by Light points but if it is the colour control points this just sounds like the adjustment brush without the need to brush but also sans the flexibility that provides.

As with swapping over with any software it just takes a little time to find the wrinkles and adapt to not having things you are used to.

My only big beef with lightroom, and it is a very serious one, is the sodding highlight recovery introduced in V4. One reason I keep looking at capture one pro. Quite what was in their tiny minds I am not sure but LR now insists on 'recovering' your highlights even if you do not want it to. When you shoot a lot a white background stuff this gets far from amusing. I blow the backgrounds out a couple of stops to make sure they are pure white. Lightroom promptly decides 'no you don't want to do that' and savages the whole file putting detail back in. Fine if you can turn it off but you can't. Nor is there any way of knowing exactly what changes it made so you can unmake them!

There are work rounds of course but they are just that, which to me is all wrong.

Posted 5 May 2014
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photography
nikondave

I've been on lightroom for about 18 months, found it more user friendly after a couple of weeks and the keys allow you to put it on upto 5 machines, Macs and PC !

5 ??

I think it's only 2.

Microsoft Office 365 is for 5 machines, maybe you ment Office.
Posted 5 May 2014
CCP
Photographer
CCP
redbaron

I'm not a Nikon user but I cannot see anything NX2 offers that Lightroom does not. they just do things in a different way. I'm not entirely sure what you meant by Light points but if it is the colour control points this just sounds like the adjustment brush without the need to brush but also sans the flexibility that provides. As with swapping over with any software it just takes a little time to find the wrinkles and adapt to not having things you are used to. My only big beef with lightroom, and it is a very serious one, is the sodding highlight recovery introduced in V4. One reason I keep looking at capture one pro. Quite what was in their tiny minds I am not sure but LR now insists on 'recovering' your highlights even if you do not want it to. When you shoot a lot a white background stuff this gets far from amusing. I blow the backgrounds out a couple of stops to make sure they are pure white. Lightroom promptly decides 'no you don't want to do that' and savages the whole file putting detail back in. Fine if you can turn it off but you can't. Nor is there any way of knowing exactly what changes it made so you can unmake them! There are work rounds of course but they are just that, which to me is all wrong.

That's what I was trying to remember, the colour control points. Yes, that is what I wanted to ask. Can you do that with Lightroom? Actually also I do like to blow out the white background quite a lot, so that could be a problem for me too. But yes, I do expect to have to get used to what ever I change over to. That is another reason I was slightly leaning towards the NX2, but still very much interested in the Lightroom. Especially as when I buy a new printer soon, I get Lightroom cheaper.
Posted 5 May 2014
CCP
Photographer
CCP
StNeots

Not yet it hasn't. NXD is (according to Nikon's web site) a beta version of the successor to NX2. If you visit the web site and read the comments, they are incorporating in the final version some of the things they stripped out of the NXD when they put it up.

Just been looking at the feedback on your link, thanks for that. They say that they are not going to include Gaussian Blur on the full version to go out on sale. Well I won't be buying that then. 
Posted 5 May 2014
Edited by CCP 5 May 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
Try Capture One, you get a 60 day free trial. One you see the results I am sure you will be hooked.

Posted 5 May 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
CCP

That's what I was trying to remember, the colour control points. Yes, that is what I wanted to ask. Can you do that with Lightroom? Actually also I do like to blow out the white background quite a lot, so that could be a problem for me too. But yes, I do expect to have to get used to what ever I change over to. That is another reason I was slightly leaning towards the NX2, but still very much interested in the Lightroom. Especially as when I buy a new printer soon, I get Lightroom cheaper.

Hopefully an NK2 user can clarify if I am wrong but it sounds like NK2 is simply creating a mask in the background of areas similer to where you place the point, which you can then tweak hue brightness ans saturation. In lightroom you have the adjustment brush, which by default automatically masks based on where the centre of the brush is as you paint. You cannot change hue but on the other hand you can locally adjust colour balance exposure contrast, highlights, shadows saturation sharpness and add a colour overlay plus more.

Under HSL you can click on the little dot in the top LHC then click on a specific spot on the image to play with those colours. Much the same as the example for NX2 where they boost the flower colour.

All the adjustment tool, spot removal and gradient tools allow you to alter anything you do later in the same way as the nixon product. Its simply that you have to click on the marker for the relevant adjustment and alter the setting in the side panel rather than have them on the image itself. I have looked at the NX2 brochure. I cannot see anything the jumps out at me I could not do in Lightroom, while there is plenty in Lightroom I cannot see you can do in the NX2 program.

In terms of the highlights as I said there are work arounds. The usual is to simply drag the white point to the left in the tone control, which you could set up as something that is done automatically upon import of images. Most people seem happy enough with this but it does piss me off. that is the only program I am aware of that makes a fundamental change to the image algorithm without either telling you it is doing it or providing an option (Other than reverting to the old 2010 version) to say you do not want it. It is not even particularly good at the job despite some raving about it. The GuyGowan actions blow it out of the water.

Posted 5 May 2014
Edited by redbaron 5 May 2014
CCP
Photographer
CCP
Bill_M

Try Capture One, you get a 60 day free trial. One you see the results I am sure you will be hooked.

Where from? Can't find it. 
Posted 5 May 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
CCP

Where from? Can't find it. 

http://www.phaseone.com/Downloads.aspx
Posted 5 May 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join