Canon EF-S lenses to EF bodies

Canon EF-S lenses to EF bodies

25 posts
29 April 2014
Ron_H
Photographer
Ron_H
Does anyone know if you can get an adapter that will allow me to fit an EF-S lens to my 6D (EF mount)?
I can find adapters that will allow me to fit Nikon lenses so surely there's one somewhere that will do what I need??

Posted 29 April 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
No, it can't be done. EFs lenses do not have the mirror clearance for FF DSLRs, which is why the mount is deliberately made incompatible. They also are not likely have the field of coverage for a FF sensor.

Posted 29 April 2014
Edited by Bill_M 29 April 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Be warned that even if an EF-S (or third party equivalent) does fit onto a full frame body (I have one that does), it may damage the camera if you use it as some crop-oriented lenses have rear optical elements that protrude into the body itself and could cause the reflex mirror to bash into them.

Posted 29 April 2014
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Can't do it - only buy EF lenses then you can use them on both EF and EF-S bodies.

I found out the hard way (as did a lot of people) by buying an EF-S body/lenses then upgrading to a full frame and having to sell everything and start again with EF.

Dave

Posted 29 April 2014
Ron_H
Photographer
Ron_H
Thanks guys, you pretty much confirmed what I thought. I feared it couldn't be done but I wasn't sure why. I was hoping to get a wide angle lens for shooting landscapes but the Canon 10-22mm and Sigma 10-20mm are only EF-S compatible
Posted 29 April 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Unfortunately good quality wide angle choices are also limited and generally expensive for full-frame.

Posted 29 April 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
Ron_H
Thanks guys, you pretty much confirmed what I thought. I feared it couldn't be done but I wasn't sure why. I was hoping to get a wide angle lens for shooting landscapes but the Canon 10-22mm and Sigma 10-20mm are only EF-S compatible
The Sigma 12-24 is a great lens and FF compatible - and even wider than the 10-20 on an EFs camera.
Posted 29 April 2014
MG
Photographer
MG
I heard of people actually chopping bits off lenses and them working fine... I haven't tried this myself so I can not recommend it but here is how to do it.... Please don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't work! https://www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/discuss/72157604422834954
Posted 29 April 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
From wikipedia:
'The "S" in EF-S comes from "Small image circle", meaning the lens is designed to provide a small (relative to a normal EF lens) image circle to match the sensor.[1] The smaller mirror used in APS-C cameras also allows optical elements to protrude further into the camera body, which enhances the possibilities for wide angle and very wide angle lenses, enabling them to be made smaller, lighter (containing less glass), faster (larger aperture) and less expensive.'

On Nikon dx (EFS equivalent) lenses will fit on fx cameras, although only the centre of the image is usable due to vignetting. The D800 can use dx lenses by automatically switching to a 16Mb dx mode.

Posted 29 April 2014
Edited by stolenfaces 29 April 2014
Photog3000
Photographer
Photog3000
Hi Canon do a 17 to 40 ish wide angle ef which if you apply the mag factor of an ef-s lens would be 16 - 38 due to the apc effect.

Posted 29 April 2014
Ron_H
Photographer
Ron_H
RedChecker
Unfortunately good quality wide angle choices are also limited and generally expensive for full-frame.
Yeah I've noticed they're a bit few and far between. You'd think that they'd make a few decent wide angle lenses for full frame camera, given how popular landscape and architectural photography is.
Posted 29 April 2014
Ron_H
Photographer
Ron_H
Bill_M
The Sigma 12-24 is a great lens and FF compatible - and even wider than the 10-20 on an EFs camera.
Thanks Bill, I'll look into that now. That sounds like it could be the one for me
Posted 29 April 2014
Ron_H
Photographer
Ron_H
MG
I heard of people actually chopping bits off lenses and them working fine... I haven't tried this myself so I can not recommend it but here is how to do it.... Please don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't work! https://www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/discuss/72157604422834954
Ha...I don't think I'll be trying that in a hurry. I don't think my insurance policy covers mutilation! haha
Posted 29 April 2014
Ron_H
Photographer
Ron_H
Photog3000
Hi Canon do a 17 to 40 ish wide angle ef which if you apply the mag factor of an ef-s lens would be 16 - 38 due to the apc effect.
Cool, I'll look into that one as well. The Sigma 12-24 is probably gonna suit me better though, but cheers anyway pal.
Posted 29 April 2014
MG
Photographer
MG
Photog3000
Can you explain that a bit more please? 17 to 40 ef is about 26 to about 65 ish I thought... but you said the apc effect? Not sure if I missed sonething?
Posted 29 April 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join