Holding your camera

Holding your camera

52 posts
23 April 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
When people take a landscape aspect photograph everyone seems to hold the camera in much the same way, as clearly the camera has a top and a bottom.
When it comes to portrait mode it seems to me that most people rotate the camera anti-clockwise and stick their right elbow in the air. I notice this particularly as I see a lot of photographers (or at least people with cameras) at gigs every week. Sticking the elbow in the air is obviously less stable in general, and at busy events like live gigs where you may get knocked a much worse stance. It is also more likely that your elbow will obstruct other photographers or audience members.
I can see it doesn't make much difference if you are using studio flash but in most other circumstances it must be more stable - I can even use the camera with one hand with a fair degree of success as the weight is on the palm and straight arm rather than swinging from the crooked arm.
So why don't people turn the camera clockwise and get a stable pose ?

Posted 23 April 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
We rotate them anti-clockwise because some of us have grips/secondary/portrait grips built into our cameras
Posted 23 April 2014
marlhamphoto
Photographer
marlhamphoto
stolenfaces
So why don't people turn the camera clockwise and get a stable pose ?
Pose? Interesting mindset for a photographer...
Posted 23 April 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
RedChecker
We rotate them anti-clockwise because some of us have grips/secondary/portrait grips built into our cameras
So do I, but hold it with my left hand - but I don't piss around with zooms, which is presumably what you need to use your left hand for. It's true that with a grip you wouldn't need to stick your elbow in the air, but most people don't have grips....
Posted 23 April 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
marlhamphoto
Pose? Interesting mindset for a photographer...
"Pose: To assume or hold a particular position or posture"
Posted 23 April 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
stolenfaces

It's true that with a grip you wouldn't need to stick your elbow in the air, but most people don't have grips....

Their loss I suppose...
Posted 23 April 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Have grips on all my camera bodies...apart from the comfort, added mass and shutter release in the correct place I find I can hold it steadier that way. I also find I can't twist my hand sufficiently to hold the camera the other way up! By "dangling" it from the grip I find it hangs naturally in portrait mode the left hand supporting the lens. I have found this to be the most stable of methods.

Always preferred my 120 cameras with 45 degree prisms which avoided the problem completely! And for portrait and fashion the chest height position was more flattering then the dangers of eye level perspective? Its the crouching down knees bend that does me in with eye level dslrs, not which vertical orientation It is in...getting old!

Posted 23 April 2014
Edited by OldMaster 23 April 2014
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
If you use your right eye to the eyepiece, its more comfortable to anticlock. Your hooter doesn't get in the way.

Posted 23 April 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Besides, so what if you're arm's in the air and it obstructs others (that's what elbows are for afterall). I'm more likely to feel discomfort from my right wrist bending back with cranking the camera the other way.
Posted 23 April 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
RedChecker
Besides, so what if you're arm's in the air and it obstructs others (that's what elbows are for afterall). I'm more likely to feel discomfort from my right wrist bending back with cranking the camera the other way.
Depends whether your camera is beer resistant. Although due to the inherent instability of the position I usually find a slight push is all that is required to make them move, failing that a steel toecap in the back of the calf is invariably successful. I suppose you would have to bend the wrist back excessively if you want to shoot downwards at a model in a classic GWC manner.
Posted 23 April 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
stolenfaces

I suppose you would have to bend the wrist back excessively if you want to shoot downwards at a model in a classic GWC manner.

I didn't realise it would make much difference pointing up or down.  The very fact I'd be bending my wrist backwards doesn't appeal (as can be seen in this article)

I can't say I've had problems holding it the wrong way and shooting like a GWC (in your opionion).
Posted 23 April 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
RedChecker
I didn't realise it would make much difference pointing up or down.  The very fact I'd be bending my wrist backwards doesn't appeal (as can be seen in this article) I can't say I've had problems holding it the wrong way and shooting like a GWC (in your opionion).
Obviously it is not significant if you don't shoot gigs or low-light situations, and use a grip anyway. Why would you have a problem if you use a grip ? [not clear whether you are saying shooting down on a model and making her look dumpy is a good technique employed by quality photographers, or what you are actually saying, as previously you said you used a grip and now you're saying you've had no problem 'holding it the wrong way' ???? and no problem 'shooting like a GWC' ?????]
Posted 23 April 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
Your article recommends the same positions as me - a red cross means not recommended

Posted 23 April 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
stolenfaces

[not clear whether you are saying shooting down on a model and making her look dumpy is a good technique employed by quality photographers, or what you are actually saying, as previously you said you used a grip and now you're saying you've had no problem 'holding it the wrong way' ???? and no problem 'shooting like a GWC' ?????]

You said I would only find it uncomfortable if shooting downards.  To me it just looks uncomfortable full stop, whether shooting up, down or level (assuming I'm not using a grip)

And no, I don't shoot models to make them look dumpy, I'd have though that obvious if you took time to look at my work.
Posted 23 April 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
RedChecker
You said I would only find it uncomfortable if shooting downards.  To me it just looks uncomfortable full stop, whether shooting up, down or level (assuming I'm not using a grip) And no, I don't shoot models to make them look dumpy, I'd have though that obvious if you took time to look at my work.
That was why I thought your comment didn't make sense, as i was sure you would agree about the error of shooting downwards at a standing model(ignoring all other aspects of discussion)
Posted 23 April 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join